MN vs Penn w/ Dean's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CUDental

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone - I think I have my decision narrowed down to MN or Penn. I got the Dean's scholarship at Penn, so it would only be about $5000 a year more than MN. I really liked both schools, but I would rather be in MN than Philly. Obviously, I can't say for sure yet, but I would definitely like to at least give myself the option of specializing. Would I be crazy to turn down the Dean's at Penn for MN? I know Penn is a great school, but MN is a good school as well and offers the opportunity to do pretty much anything if you are willing to work hard for it. It has plenty of research, etc to get involved in as well to set yourself apart. I know that Penn provides even more of these opportunities (at least statistically), though this may be simply a result of its student body. Whichever I choose, I'd have to be near the top of the class if I want to have the option to do anything. This would definitely be harder to do at Penn, though, where many more people go with the intention of specializing and which attracts, at least on paper, a stronger applicant/student. Obviously I'm not going to base my decision entirely on what you all think... I'm just looking for some different perspectives on my situation since the decision has flip-flopped in my mind about 10 times in the past day. Luckily, I really don't think I can make a wrong decision here, maybe just a less right one, and I am definitely thankful to even have this decision to make. Unfortunately, though, Penn needs to know by Dec 18th so I don't have much time to think about it! What do you all think???

Members don't see this ad.

i think you should go wherever you felt the most comfortable. if you absolutely loved penn for the location, faculty, facilities, and students, i'd say go there even if you didn't have the dean's scholarship. but it sounds like you aren't any more crazy about it than MN, and the only thing you like about it is you think you'll have a better chance specializing if you choose to do so. i would say MN, but that's just me. i was not very impressed with Penn when I interviewed there...

up to you! good luck!

I can't think of a school outside California that would be worth giving up Penn w/ Dean's over. My 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
State school.

Go where you feel more comfortable. You'll thrive in an environment where you feel comfortable. If you don't feel comfortable in Philadelphia then I wouldn't suggest going there.

Do you perform better with more competition so other push you and vice versa?

You cannot really go wrong.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I think I might just rip all of my hair out over this, but I'd agree that there really isn't a wrong choice.

I think I can definitely do well in the face of competition, but I am a very self-motivated person, so I don't think I need it to thrive.

After talking to others, including some recent graduates of Penn, I get the impression that the difference between Penn and a school like MN is not nearly as much as most people make it out to be. That being said, there are definitely at least some real benefits in going to Penn. Maybe I'll rip myself in half and go to both:idea:

Congratulations on your acceptances. I'm about to finish dental school; so I have a pretty good idea what it is like.

I recommend you go to the school you felt the best about after touring & interviewing. It will be four hard and long years. I know you think they will be hard, but trust me, it is actually harder than you think it is going to be. You will be happier and will do better in the place you feel best about.

If you feel the same about them, then go to your state school. If neither is your state school, then go to the cheaper one. After four years those minimum loan payments will look pretty bad to you, especially if you plan to spend three to four more years in a residency.