Mneumonics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melba

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone use mneumonics and/or other study techniques while in med school? If so, did you find it helpful in learning the material. What subjects were the techniques particularly useful?

Members don't see this ad.

They saved my ass on MANY occasions....i think they help in all the courses, but they helped me the most in PHARM and ANATOMY

I've always believed that mneumonics are just another thing to remember. There's so much stuff to know that the last that helps me is trying to remember a mneumonic then trying to remember what it stands for. As a general study technique, I never found them useful. However, I will admit that there are really useful--these are the ones that tend to get taught as part of formatl instruction anyways.

Here's one for you to save for anatomy: "Some Lovers Try Positions That They Can't Handle." I'll let someone else fill you in on it to see how good of a mneumnoic it is...

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Dodge This:
[QB]I've always believed that mneumonics are just another thing to remember. There's so much stuff to know that the last that helps me is trying to remember a mneumonic then trying to remember what it stands for. As a general study technique, I never found them useful. However, I will admit that there are really useful--these are the ones that tend to get taught as part of formatl instruction anyways.
[QB]••••This is a common misconception with mneumonics. While there is usually one extra String that needs to be learned, the effort to do this is often minimal. The reason these techniques are useful is that it links the information you are really trying to learn (the terms for anatomy etc) to some easier concept, so when you recall the concept, it automatically recalls the other information, sort of creating a symbollic link in your mind. So in essence the information is stored in a more organized manner in your memory AND stored twiuce because both the original terms and the mneumonic that links to it are "placeholders" of the information.

Other techniques such as mindmaps etc are also considered mneumonics and work by associating the information with visual space, i.e. the more sensory input you incorporate, you are, in essence, increasing the number of ways the info is stored.

For more information on this check out "Your Memory: How it works and How to Improve it" by Kenneth Higbee... he has a PhD in psychology and is considered an expert in the field of memory. Very interesting material :)

Anatomy mneumonics were helpful AT TIMES for me, and I think for many others. It's pretty simple, if you're having difficulty remembering something either make one up or use one of the many already copyrighted.

This is probably obnoxious, but...

the word is 'mnemonics'. Sorry, it was bugging me. :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Laura JC:
•This is probably obnoxious, but...

the word is 'mnemonics'. Sorry, it was bugging me. :) •••••mah bad! I should have known that!

If you are interested in mnemonics, you have to check this site out... it is the king of all mnemonics! (they have hundreds and hundreds of them)

<a href="http://www.medicalmnemonics.com/" target="_blank">Medical mnemonics</a>

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Kirk:
•If you are interested in mnemonics, you have to check this site out... it is the king of all mnemonics! (they have hundreds and hundreds of them)

<a href="http://www.medicalmnemonics.com/" target="_blank">Medical mnemonics</a>•••••I have looked at this site, it is awesome.. can't wait to get a palm so i can take it mobile!

Laura, can you introduce me to a mnemonic device to remember how to spell 'mnemonic'.
:wink: