MD & DO MO Resident, URM, 3.3/510 WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnmarkedTrail

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

GPA:
3.3 gpa, 3.16 sgpa, only Cs in Chemistry, I've retaken two with A's, rising trend with a 3.98 in my last semester
MCAT: 5XX
State of Residence: MO
University: Large State School
Ethnicity: African American
Clinical Experience: Over 100 hours volunteering in a free health clinic
Research: Nearly 500 hours, no pubs unfortunately
Shadowing: ~ 20 hours with sports medicine, endocrinology, oncologist. Still getting more hours
Non-clinical volunteering: ~300 hours combined with habitat for humanity, cleanups, etc. Also led an event and raised a large amount of money for a cancer center
Other ECs: I was an RA, Executive Board of second largest organization on campus. Led a committee to host events all over campus, Member of fraternity were I was the scholarship chair, Delegate for national and regional conferences, Member of a minority programming organization. I have also worked in research office, biology advising, and a news station
Honors and Awards: Deans list in multiple semesters

Preliminary School List
University of Missouri
University of Minnesota
Meharry
Morehouse
Howard
Wayne State
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences - Strong ties
Saint Louis University
Ohio State

Any schools I should add or remove from this list? What are my chances. Thanks in advance for all the help. Would adding more low yield schools like georgetown be viable for me?

Also advice for a DO list? I was mainly looking at KCUMB, ATSU

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unless you have some connection to Minnesota you can remove U Minnesota. Schools you can add include:
Tulane
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown

GPA: 3.3 gpa, 3.16 sgpa, only Cs in Chemistry, I've retaken two with A's, rising trend with a 3.98 in my last semester
MCAT: 510
State of Residence: MO
University: Large State School
Ethnicity: African American
Clinical Experience: Over 100 hours volunteering in a free health clinic
Research: Nearly 500 hours, no pubs unfortunately
Shadowing: ~ 20 hours with sports medicine, endocrinology, oncologist. Still getting more hours
Non-clinical volunteering: ~300 hours combined with habitat for humanity, cleanups, etc. Also led an event and raised a large amount of money for a cancer center
Other ECs: I was an RA, Executive Board of second largest organization on campus. Led a committee to host events all over campus, Member of fraternity were I was the scholarship chair, Delegate for national and regional conferences, Member of a minority programming organization. I have also worked in research office, biology advising, and a news station
Honors and Awards: Deans list in multiple semesters

Preliminary School List
University of Missouri - state school
University of Minnesota
Meharry
Morehouse
Howard
Wayne State
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences - Strong ties
Saint Louis University
Ohio State

Any schools I should add or remove from this list? What are my chances. Thanks in advance for all the help. Would adding more low yield schools like georgetown be viable for me?

Also advice for a DO list? I was mainly looking at KCUMB, ATSU
This is just a random question, but how does one earn a 3.98 in one semester? Like do you get 14 As and 1 A-, in one semester? If that's the case I would be thoroughly impressed.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is just a random question, but how does one earn a 3.98 in one semester? Like do you get 14 As and 1 A-, in one semester? If that's the case I would be thoroughly impressed.
He might've done like 18-16 credits his last semester and probably got A- in a smaller credit class

yeah I took 18 hours, and got all A's and one A-. Thanks for the help Faha, I will definitely add these schools to my list. I will most likely only be applying to around 15 of the total. Any other tips will be greatly appreciated.

Unless you have some connection to Minnesota you can remove U Minnesota. Schools you can add include:
Tulane
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown

Also add UCLA/Drew, USC, U WV, U Miami, BU and IU.