Mock MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AWhitehair

EM PA-C. MD wannabe
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school is hosting a mock MCAT by Kaplan for the new computer based testing. I have not prepared at all for the MCAT because I'm not taking the real thing until August. My question is if I should sit for the free sample or not? I'm not sure if the scores can possibly be looked at in the future to count against me or not. Does anyone know about this?

Members don't see this ad.

None of the Kaplan scores can count against you, even if you fill in ABACADABA for everything. Only you and Kaplan will know.

If it's free or cheap (<$20), I'd say go for it. I did a practice MCAT a year before I took the exam, and didn't really start studying until a few months before, but having one practice test done gave me some focus as to what it would be like, and what material I should be paying attention to in classes.

Prepared or not, the more practice tests the better. Take some now, start studying whenever you get the time, and then take some more tests as the date approaches.

AWhitehair said:
My school is hosting a mock MCAT by Kaplan for the new computer based testing. I have not prepared at all for the MCAT because I'm not taking the real thing until August. My question is if I should sit for the free sample or not? I'm not sure if the scores can possibly be looked at in the future to count against me or not. Does anyone know about this?

Definitely do not take it. Study for the MCAT first, and then take it the practice test(s). You don't want to squander the practice tests, as they are limited. By taking it now, you'll pretty much only learn the format of the test, and I think reading a Kaplan/Princeton Review book or whatever can do that for you just fine.

Karim said:
Definitely do not take it. Study for the MCAT first, and then take it the practice test(s). You don't want to squander the practice tests, as they are limited. By taking it now, you'll pretty much only learn the format of the test, and I think reading a Kaplan/Princeton Review book or whatever can do that for you just fine.
The Kaplan one isn't a full length rather a shorter "sampler".

Take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definately take it, especially if you've never had experience with computer-based testing. It gives you a good idea of the scope of the test and the level of difficulty and will not harm your application in any way. Med schools don't have access to your practice tests. Good luck!!

My school is offering one this saturday (I dont think it is from Kaplan...just a mock-computer based mcat---to help standardize the test, my advisor said). I havent started to study either, but am going to take it, just so I will be able to practice the computer based format and see how much of the basics I remember!

im taking it on saturday through Kaplan as well. But i think it is a full test because it last from 8:30 untill 4:00. I havent taken any practice before. I also haven't started O-chem yet. I think im just going to take it to get a feel for it and see where I stand.

i was told they don't give you a score, rather a percentage of answers you got right/wrong. i would take it just to see what cbt is like vs paper testing. you might find you hate the idea of taking it on the computer b/c, for example, you won't be able to scribble on passages, etc... i don't know if you'll have a choice when you take it for real but at least you'll already know what you'll have to overcome (no scribbling/underlining :( ) that'll be my hardest thing to overcome.
other than that, take it. it's free. and anything free, is usually good for something/anything :smuggrin: plus, by taking it, you'll be able to somehow gauge where you stand as far as speed, knowledge on content, and your ability to understand the passages. kinda like a dry run. good luck if you decide to take it! :luck:

well, i just got my score back, they were in percentages with a conversion chart. I havent taken any organic chemistry or the second part of bio. with that being said, i am somewhat ashamed of my first attempt. VR-7, PS-5, BS-1. Oh well, im a sophmore and have some time to work on my weaknesses. How did everyone else do? I'm sure some people got better than a 13 ;)

Hi noway,

Great job in verbal! I wouldn't be too concerned with the PS and BS because you can bump that score up with some studying. Plus as a sophomore, you wouldn't have completed all your prereqs, right? Verbal on the other hand... argh! ;) P

Average scores run in the 'teens too.

thanks for the reply. I had to random bubble for two passages in verbal. i just need to work on my timing, i think if i could have finished it i could have gotten a 9 or 10. Yeah, im not done with pre-reqs yet. I've finished Gen Chem 1, and Phys 1. Im almost done with Gen Chem 2, Phys 2, and Bio 1. So im hoping i can def. show some improvements.

I'd definitely be concerned about the 1 in bio. From an MCAT instructor's perspective, I mainly saw diagnostic scores of about 5-6V, 4-5P, and 6-7B. Read up on bio like it's a novel, then go in-depth.

well, alot of bio is organic, so im not worried about it as i havent taken organic yet

Noway said:
well, alot of bio is organic, so im not worried about it as i havent taken organic yet

On the contrary, recent administrations seem to indicate the opposite and is further evidenced by the (slight) reduction of organic content on AAMC's topics list.

Anon has a point you should consider young jedi.