SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

modafinil (provigil)

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Lindsee, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Lindsee

Lindsee New Member

May 27, 2002
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I was wondering if anyone had tried modafinil on a call night. I read an article about it in the newspaper and a doctor was quoted as saying this is the "next caffeine," but without all of the side effects. The military is apparently using it in order to allow its soldiers to stay awake and alert for prolonged periods. What are the ethical implications of using this drug? Would it be unethical to use it (i.e., like using speed) or would it be considered as harmless as caffeine?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Future GI Guy

Future GI Guy Hoo Hoo.... 7+ Year Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Lindsee,

Seems like I saw a story on the "Today" show a couple of months back.

One of the uses noted at that time (as you, yourself pointed out) was Stealth Pilots who make 36 hour round trip bombing runs from Missouri to Afghanistan. Apparently, it works well for that use, and it allows the pilots no problem sleeping as soon as they return to base. They also don't "feel" jittery or panicky, the way I sometimes do when I load up on caffeine.

I, myself, have never even seen the drug prescribed, let alone had an opportunity to use it.

But you know about medications and how they can be on the market for 6 months and bam--the FDA says they cause liver failure or something.

I'd be cautious about any new drug until it's had some time on the market.

4. Goofy

Goofy Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 20, 2001
    United States Of America
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> I was wondering if anyone had tried modafinil on a call night. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> I read an article about it in the newspaper and a doctor was quoted as saying this is the "next caffeine," but without all of the side effects. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Was he/she a podiatrist?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> The military is apparently using it in order to allow its soldiers to stay awake and alert for prolonged periods. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The military also sanctions illicit drug use.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> What are the ethical implications of using this drug?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That depends on your personal take on the issue. Do you consider amphetamine use to stay awake ethical?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Would it be unethical to use it (i.e., like using speed) or would it be considered as harmless as caffeine? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you asking what the medical establishment thinks, it is unlikely to be an acceptable use of a prescription medication.

Provigil is a relatively new drug that simply hasn't been studied exhaustively yet. In fact we don't even know precisely how it works. It is a stimulant that has it's own classification scheme.

It is also quite expensive.

Stick to coffee and cigarettes, they are much cheaper.

5. Future GI Guy

Jul 25, 2001
    Klebsiella,

Relax, man. No need to drink caffeine and smoke cigs before you type your reply.

GI GUY

6. Fah-Q

Fah-Q Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2001
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Klebsiella:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> I was wondering if anyone had tried modafinil on a call night. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> I read an article about it in the newspaper and a doctor was quoted as saying this is the "next caffeine," but without all of the side effects. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Was he/she a podiatrist?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> The military is apparently using it in order to allow its soldiers to stay awake and alert for prolonged periods. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The military also sanctions illicit drug use.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> What are the ethical implications of using this drug?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That depends on your personal take on the issue. Do you consider amphetamine use to stay awake ethical?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Would it be unethical to use it (i.e., like using speed) or would it be considered as harmless as caffeine? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you asking what the medical establishment thinks, it is unlikely to be an acceptable use of a prescription medication.

Provigil is a relatively new drug that simply hasn't been studied exhaustively yet. In fact we don't even know precisely how it works. It is a stimulant that has it's own classification scheme.

It is also quite expensive.

Stick to coffee and cigarettes, they are much cheaper.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">To use a Simpson's qoute: "Does anybody care what this guy thinks?"

I had a parkinson's patient who was using Provigil and would sleep right through his dose quite often. So in my experience it just turned a daily nap into a really expensive daily nap. Also, there is no such thing as a drug without side effects...despite what the drug rep who brings you cookies says.

7. Goofy

Goofy Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 20, 2001
    United States Of America
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Future GI Guy:
    <strong>Klebsiella,

Relax, man. No need to drink caffeine and smoke cigs before you type your reply.

GI GUY</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What makes you think I give a damn about how you view my posts?

8. Future GI Guy

Jul 25, 2001
    Kleb,

The fact that you replied speaks volumes.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts in the 'Hawaii" thread.

GI Guy