modeling and med school--incompatible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lady in red

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
if one is offered a modeling job while in med school or applying, is that looked down upon? I mean, does it make one appear light-headed and not serious? Is it something not to be mentioned to the ad. coms?

Members don't see this ad.

to what med schools are you applying beautiful? ;)

I did it for a month and one of my best friends did it for a year or so. I gave it up because it has a very low return on the time commitment. You have to go to tryouts all the time during 8-5 on weekdays and most of the time it is a 100 people trying for 1-3 spots. I'm quite sure that it would be impossible to do if in medical school.
Also, I would be very suspicious of who asked you to do the modeling? Was it an agency, or a company? Mos tof the time an agency will ask you to come in and take some shots. They will then say that if you want to be really successful you need to get some professional shots done that could cost 300-400$, but they would be happy to do it for 200$.
If your actually looking to get into it in the bay area, my best friend models with a company up there and I could set you up with a tryout with them. Their good in that he actually gets work from it (JC Penney and Mervyns)

Members don't see this ad :)
Choker: I applied to 58 schools. I can send you a list if you are interested. I am NOT loaded or crazy. Here is my beautiful smile :D :D :D and here is my beach photo :cool:
Jakbrekt: are you a male or a female? i know about the time committment/low returns and all, I just thought it would be something cool/fun to do while I am still young. I have a very depressing regular job w/dying people. i already had shots done and it was an agency, not a company. i guess it will do for a hobby.

I'm a male. It could be fun to do. I liked the meeting hot girls aspect of it, but I'm not sure that would apply to you. Well, maybe you might be into hot girls. (don't get mad at me. I know your married) If you want to do it, go ahead. But I always discourage against it. Even the people I know who have made it say they don't really like it.

Hot girls? I am not sure I am into hot anybody, considering I have barely eaten for the last two weeks :D to fit into these stupid clothes. Jalbrekt, maybe when you get into med school you can star for Scrubs. I think the main character guy (with the big nose) is a dorky looking parody on Ben Stiller.
you still haven't answered my original question. :p

I got a modeling job after highschool... I was with the agency for about 3 months then I gave it up. It just wasn't for me... and I hated trying to stay as thin as I could.

Yeah, I have a heck of a time keeping my girlish figure too. I kept telling myself "the camera adds ten pounds," but I was just fooling myself.

:)

I hardly did anything at all. I was just with them for 3 months. It was commercial modeling... not fashion. You can pretty much be butt ugly and get a commercial modeling job.

My modeling career ended this spring when I fell down the steps and broke my shoe in front of the people running the open call.

To answer your question (finally) it has only come up in two of my interviews. I didn't put it on my AMCAS so it only came up in the conversation. One was a student and one was a faculty and I don't think either of them looked down on it at all. I just told them it was something I did for fun for a month or two at my friends urging. I don't think they did look down on it.