Familiar

2+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2017
Hello,
I am currently a student at the California accredited dental school in Moldova, Nicolae Testemiţanu State University of Medicine and Pharmacy.

I remember when I was looking for dental schools I couldn't find much about it online, so for anyone out there who wants to know more about this school, ask away. I will give you the unfiltered truth.

Their website can be found here: Moldova university | Dental School of the Moldova State University of Medicine and Pharmacy “Nicolae Testemiţanu” ( | Universitatea de Stat de Medicină și Farmacie "Nicolae Testimițeanu" din Republica Moldova <-- Romanian & official school website)

Reactions: Yulia2805

ElCubanito

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2006
Status
California accredited school in Moldova? Im assuming its like the University in Mexico where you graduate and you can practice in California only? Sounds pretty fishy...like California needs more dentists!

Svart Aske

is stabbing his eyes out
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
Status
With the number of newer private dental schools in the US, why would anybody need to go to some obscure Eastern European country to become a dentist (in the most dentist-saturated state in the country).

OP
F

Familiar

2+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2017
California accredited school in Moldova? Im assuming its like the University in Mexico where you graduate and you can practice in California only? Sounds pretty fishy...like California needs more dentists!
You know, I thought the same thing. They gave me about 2 weeks after I was accepted to pay tuition. It sounded like a scam to me as well. But no, it is legitimately accredited within the state of California - until 2023 that is where it will need to renew it's accreditation.

Also I am worried about an over saturation of dentists within California but I can not say no to this school because of it's economic cost.

OP
F

Familiar

2+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2017
With the number of newer private dental schools in the US, why would anybody need to go to some obscure Eastern European country to become a dentist (in the most dentist-saturated state in the country).
1. Economics - The price of attending these schools is high - ~250k-300K + interest.
2. Time - 4 years spent as a pre-dent + 0 - 2 years applying + 3-4 years of dental school.
3. Competitiveness - I find that most of the students here in the 5 year program are under achievers when compared to the average dental student.
- It's a great option for pre-dents who are struggling to get into a dental school as it is currently a 100% acceptance rate. (plenty of open spots, not enough applicants)
I can not say much about the 2 year program however I do know that most of these dentists have been trying to practice in California for a while.
- It's a great option for international dentists trying to practice in California who could not get accepted into other Californian schools(Californian IDP are very competitive)

Last edited:

Svart Aske

is stabbing his eyes out
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
Status
1. Economics - The price of attending these schools is high - ~250k-300K + interest.
2. Time - 4 years spent as a pre-dent + 0 - 2 years applying + 3-4 years of dental school.
3. Competitiveness - I find that most of the students here in the 5 year program are under achievers when compared to the average dental student.
- It's a great option for pre-dents who are struggling to get into a dental school as it is currently a 100% acceptance rate. (plenty of open spots, not enough applicants)
I can not say much about the 2 year program however I do know that most of these dentists have been trying to practice in California for a while.
- It's a great option for international dentists trying to practice in California who could not get accepted into other Californian schools(Californian IDP are very competitive)
So this school churns out practitioners who couldn't cut in an American dental school. 100% acceptance is a joke. This is the kind of thing that hurts the profession. Why is the California board allowing this nonsense?

OP
F

Familiar

2+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2017
So this school churns out practitioners who couldn't cut in an American dental school. 100% acceptance is a joke. This is the kind of thing that hurts the profession. Why is the California board allowing this nonsense?
Well, after attending this school myself I believe that the education & materials here are fine and high quality(assuming no corruption), however the issue is that a 3rd party company is in control of the admissions and has an economic interest in enrolling as many students as they can. I believe UMSF's international tuition fee for the school is ~ $6000 however the company charges ~$20,000-21,000 for each student to attend - keeping the difference as their profit.

I do not know if the California board knows about this "nonsense" however this school is set for another review in 4 years so things will change or they will lose their accreditation just as they lost their accreditation with Israel(medical and dental).

Yes - the acceptance is a joke and hurts the profession as a whole. I have always held the dental field in such high regards and to see my school plagued with unmotivated individuals who are just - and I QUOTE "trying it to see if they like it" - is infuriating.

I like to be hopeful though. This is only the first year so for many students this school was somewhat a leap of faith. More dental students will find out about this program and they will come for the opportunity here. We will have capable dental students studying here and competent dentists graduating.

Apr 21, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
Is this essentially the dental version of the Caribbean Med School system?

ElCubanito

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2006
Status
California board has no teeth....if you knew how many dentists are actually practicing out there with NO LICENCE, let along offices owned by managers who in turn just hire international dentists to work with no licence. 53 dentists around where I live (2 mile area). No one is doing anything about it...how can they? Word is that a lot of these institutions have people that are involved directly with the Board.

OP
F

Familiar

2+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2017
California board has no teeth....if you knew how many dentists are actually practicing out there with NO LICENCE, let along offices owned by managers who in turn just hire international dentists to work with no licence. 53 dentists around where I live (2 mile area). No one is doing anything about it...how can they? Word is that a lot of these institutions have people that are involved directly with the Board.
That is terrifying, which region of California are these license-less dentists practicing and from which country are they from?

I do not know if these institution is directly involved with the Board or not as I have no insider information but I can see that as a possibility as corruption runs rampant in Moldova

But I am pretty close with some of the teachers here and I can see that they are making changes.

Last edited:

C10H15N

2+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
What degree do you graduate with? And how is the patient pool? What kind of procedures do you do and how is the clinical experience?

OP
F

Familiar

2+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2017
We graduate with a DDS, and I haven't started clinical work yet. But from what I hear is that we are supposed to be more hands on than clinics in America. I believe we are supposed to find our own patients.

Aug 29, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
Hello,
I am currently a student at the California accredited dental school in Moldova, Nicolae Testemiţanu State University of Medicine and Pharmacy.

I remember when I was looking for dental schools I couldn't find much about it online, so for anyone out there who wants to know more about this school, ask away. I will give you the unfiltered truth.

Their website can be found here: Moldova university | Dental School of the Moldova State University of Medicine and Pharmacy “Nicolae Testemiţanu” ( | Universitatea de Stat de Medicină și Farmacie "Nicolae Testimițeanu" din Republica Moldova <-- Romanian & official school website)
Hello!
I'm currently applying to this school for 2 years IDP program. May I please contact you with some questions, because I don't want to waste 120000 if anything is wrong with it.
Appreciate in advance!

Oct 3, 2018
Hello!
I'm currently applying to this school for 2 years IDP program. May I please contact you with some questions, because I don't want to waste 120000 if anything is wrong with it.
Appreciate in advance!
hi did u get accepted to the program

Aug 29, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
do u know how many seats are there and how is the program
I'm learning about it right now. I have heard that they teach nothing..
Seats available -40. They already have taken 22 of them, and its about 200 applications right now for the remaining 18.

Doctorishere12345

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 18, 2018
Hello,

since the school approves by a board of California, does that mean you can only practice in Cali but no other states???? Are you US citizen and attend school over there?

danchoi03

7+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2009
Status
Dental Student
How is this school get approved by California with minimum requirements? In the past, a lot of us including myself bursted our ass just to get in Dental schools. We had to do postbach program, masters program, and score extremely well on the DAT just to get interviews and acceptance letters. Now there is this school that requires nothing, but a high school diploma and an entrance exam to get in. This must be a joke and such a disgrace to the profession.

Typical Average Student

5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2014
Houston, TX
Status
Dental Student
Sounds sketchy...

1. According to the website, the "application fee" is mailed to "17777 Ventura Blvd. Ste.220, Encino, CA 91316 "
Which is the address of a dental practice: Encino Dental Group - Encino - Encino, CA

2. The email you send all your documents to is a gmail account: " [email protected] "
Untitled.png

Last edited:

danchoi03

7+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2009
Status
Dental Student
This makes me question if the Encino Dental Practice has any involvement to this scam. If so why are they still operating? There are also many rumors stating that this school is accredited by California Dental Board. Where did this rumor come from when there is no actual link?

sjv

5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Doctorishere12345

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 18, 2018
this is posted by DBC:

MOLDOVA:
The State University of Medicine and Pharmacy “Nicolae Testemitanu” of the Republic of Moldova (SUMP) – Faculty of Dentistry (Next Approval: 12/2023)*

*Graduates of the two-year international dental program are not eligible for licensure in California until August 2020

it looks legit but only practice in California and 5 yrs in Romania and far away from home. hmmm.... not sure if worth it

Jun 24, 2018
Hello,

Hi,
I am planning to apply for 2 years International Dental Program in this year. I am giving my NBDE part 1 in the first week of October and planning to submit my application during third week or by the end of third week of October. How many seats are open for international dentists?

Jun 24, 2018
I'm learning about it right now. I have heard that they teach nothing..
Seats available -40. They already have taken 22 of them, and its about 200 applications right now for the remaining 18.
Hi,
I am planning to apply for this program by the end of third week of October. Where did you get the above mentioned statistics regarding the applicants numbers? I need some information regarding the program. Can we get in touch? This is my Whatsapp number 2246221483

DTooth078

2+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
I believe UMSF's international tuition fee for the school is ~ $6000 however the company charges ~$20,000-21,000 for each student to attend - keeping the difference as their profit.

I do not know if the California board knows about this "nonsense" however this school is set for another review in 4 years so things will change or they will lose their accreditation just as they lost their accreditation with Israel(medical and dental).
Yes. The board knows. See Page 4 https://www.dbc.ca.gov/about_us/meetings/materials/20190515_16mm.pdf

In short for those who have no idea about this school I can offer some info as I've heard a bit about it.

The program has it accreditation linked to political ties in CA from a few years back. Backers of the program are dentists themselves who have either graduated from the US or Moldova. Moldova has yet to graduate a class (Year 4 of 5 right now) and no board results from what I've last heard. Dive deep into the board meeting and they stated they want a progress report of students so far.

Admission process is interesting. It basically goes as the site shows, transcripts, passport stuff, etc.
If you hold a US college degree in a science, you don't take their entrance exam. Simple as that.
If you are coming from a US High school, then you do take their entrance exam. Admission exam
The Encino location acts as an interviewing / processing / advertising center for potential students. The handle most in person recruitment at some local CE seminars. To which the Dental Dean and Vice Rector come and "Interview" students on location around May... at least they did this year when they went to visit the board

If you have excellent google translate skills, here's the curriculum https://stomatologie.usmf.md/sites/default/files/inline-files/PLAN_CADRU_FACULTATEA_DE_STOMATOLOGIE.pdf

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
How is this school get approved by California with minimum requirements? In the past, a lot of us including myself bursted our ass just to get in Dental schools. We had to do postbach program, masters program, and score extremely well on the DAT just to get interviews and acceptance letters. Now there is this school that requires nothing, but a high school diploma and an entrance exam to get in. This must be a joke and such a disgrace to the profession.
Hmm.
There are a number of dental schools in the US that offer accelerated dental programs, albeit with limited numbers.

Sep 9, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi. As you said above, you are close with some teachers and things would be changing. My question is do you think things will change for the better in time before they will need reaccreditation? Also, what exactly do you mean by “changing”? Thanks