Molecular biology or psychology minor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kg062007

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have either the choice of majoring in molecular biology, or regular biology with a psychology minor. which looks more impressive to admission committies, does it matter?

Members don't see this ad.

NO!!!! It doesn't matter!!!!

Personally, I would choose pyschology since I find it more interesting - as for molecular biology, taking the required one course, imo, should suffice for your interests. Unless you find molec bio that interesting that you would want to take courses beyond the introductory level, I would choose psyc...but only you know what you are interested in!!!

I find that, if you are majoring in a science program already, many of the advanced topics within molecular bio pops up in various courses anyway.

NO it doesn't matter what major you choose.

When I was choosing between biology and microbiology, my advisor warned that micro sets me up for a direct path where biology allows more dabbling (immuno, parasitology, etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a bio major and a psyc minor then you are a much more interesting candidate then a molec bio major. I believe that psychology shows an interest in understanding the emotional needs and behavior of the patient. It will make you stand out more then having one bio related major. However, dont do a psyc minor unless you are really interested and not just doing to look good on paper.

Best,
Dave

Do whatever you like best. For me, that would definitely be psych. I think the psych minor will show more variety and be more interesting. In the end, either will suffice and it probably won't make much of a difference.

Minors are pretty worthless on an app. If you're interested in psych, major in that and minor in bio (you'll probably pick it up along the way anyway fulfilling prereqs and whatnot). A 4.0 is going to be considerably easier to carry through psych than through molecular bio.