Molecular Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NubianPrincess

Perpetually Bored
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there have been varying opinions on whether taking molecular bio is beneficial for taking the MCAT. Honestly, the class doesn't interest me at all, and it might be difficult keeping up for this reason. I guess what im asking is as a Bio major, should I be taking this class ? Will it help me?

Members don't see this ad.

Nubian,

Take general bio, general chem, and organic chemistry and you should be fine for the MCAT. Taking a term or two of biochemistry could help too, as there are often a few questions on the MCAT bio section that are covered more in-depth in biochemistry than in organic chemistry. Good luck!

The class is interesting, but it didn't help me with the mcat. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Im honestly a little intimidated by biochem, even though I think its interesting. The small section of biochem given in general bio seemed a little difficult (electron chain, etc). Is Biochemistry a very difficult class?

Biochem is difficult in the sense that you have to do a lot of work. However, it is also a class that you have to take in med school, and having it in undergrad could make it a little easier.

I disagree. I think Molecular Bio, Genetics, Biochem, Human phys, and Cell Bio are all useful courses for the Bio section of the MCAT. The AAMC states that only fundamental principles of G. Chem, O. Chem, Physics and Bio are tested. This is misleading, at best! Most of your competition has taken these courses. Why leave yourself vulnerable? The more you know going in, the better, IMHO (of course). :wink:

You'll do fine on the MCAT without taking molecular bio, although taking the class certainly helps you work through problems faster.

Aside from the MCAT, taking molecular bio will REALLY help you during medical school (MUCH more than taking biochemistry...and I was a biochem major). It's a class that really might be worth taking for the extra leg up in med school.

I just took the basic requirements in terms of science courses, as did most of my friends who are pre-med but social science majors. If you have taken the basics, you will be fine. The questions on the MCAT that will deal with any of the more advanced sciences will be applied questions from the passages, so you will be able to figure them out on your own. Don't waste your time taking classes that you think will possibly help you for the MCAT. IMHO.