molecular pathology,is it a right choice for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kooki

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a medical student at the last year.I started to think a lot about specialties. I love basic sciences.I want to know more about mechanism of diseases.I love researches.
But,I am afraid,I will not be satisfied about my career,I will not discover any thing,I will not really understand the diseases at molecular level.
I am afraid that my ambition is more than my ability.
On the other side, If I choose surgery or medicine, I will see outcomes in front of my eyes.

Sorry, if there is any mistake in the paragraph.Because I am not native speaker.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a medical student at the last year.I started to think a lot about specialties. I love basic sciences.I want to know more about mechanism of diseases.I love researches.
But,I am afraid,I will not be satisfied about my career,I will not discover any thing,I will not really understand the diseases at molecular level.
On the other side, If I choose surgery or medicine, I will see outcomes in front of my eyes.

Sorry, if there is any mistake in the paragraph.Because I am not native speaker.

Molecular Pathology isnt a career, it is a tool.

So Im not sure what you are asking. Is Pathology right for you? I have no clue, you arent in America I assume, where are you?

I agree with LA Doc. The major question is whether you want to be a surgeon, an internist or a pathologist. Huge difference between performing surgery on your feet all day, rounding on patients all day or doing clinic all day, and sitting at a desk looking through a microscope or going over molecular test results all day. I would think you also have to take into account how competitive you are for those different specialties . . . but I feel your pain. It is a tough decision to make. Its tough to change course if you start something and find that you don't like it (but it definitely can be done). I struggled a lot with it. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it a tool?Did you mean there is no molecular pathologist?:confused:
I am from Saudi Arabia
I ask if I study molecular pathology, will I have a deep knowledge about pathogenesis of the diseases?
For example:about CML,I read there is a translocation(9,22) which produces a mutated active tyrosine kinase.This enzyme provokes unregulated growth of cells.But this information is not proven to me experimentally. I just read it.I think If I study molecular patholgy I will know it experimentally,am I right?
Thank you

Is it a tool?Did you mean there is no molecular pathologist?:confused:
I am from Saudi Arabia
I ask if I study molecular pathology, will I have a deep knowledge about pathogenesis of the diseases?
For example:about CML,I read there is a translocation(9,22) which produces a mutated active tyrosine kinase.This enzyme provokes unregulated growth of cells.But this information is not proven to me experimentally. I just read it.I think If I study molecular patholgy I will know it experimentally,am I right?
Thank you

Hola dude from the Kingdom!

I actually know something of how Pathology works in SA oddly. It is a set up along the lines of the British system where you are a consultant histopathologist or you run a lab section for the actual clinical duties.

If you are interested in doing research though that is probably a different matter entirely and you can theoretically do "Molecular Pathology" like research looking for new FISH probes for prognosis etc from almost ANY medical specialty be it Internal Medicine, Surgery, Oncology or Pathology.

Find someone who is doing exactly what you want to do in a lab there and then sit them done over some tea and ask them how they got there.

Good luck.

Hola dude from the Kingdom!

I actually know something of how Pathology works in SA oddly. It is a set up along the lines of the British system where you are a consultant histopathologist or you run a lab section for the actual clinical duties.

If you are interested in doing research though that is probably a different matter entirely and you can theoretically do "Molecular Pathology" like research looking for new FISH probes for prognosis etc from almost ANY medical specialty be it Internal Medicine, Surgery, Oncology or Pathology.

Find someone who is doing exactly what you want to do in a lab there and then sit them done over some tea and ask them how they got there.

Good luck.
Thank you.I have a better view now.