Mom of four- wants to be a surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indymom

What?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 30 years old, MS1 and mom of four. I want to be a surgeon. Pediatric surgeon actually. As I look through all the specialties I am drawn towards the surgical choices. Is this crazy? Please post if you've done that and survived. I need some support here!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're a first year. Just wait... you will probably change your mind. 80% of all medical students do.

You're a first year. Just wait... you will probably change your mind. 80% of all medical students do.

Agree 100%. Go into 3rd year with an open mind, and definitely look at how hard residents in different specialties work and if you think you could do that with your family situation. And if that's still what you really want to do, you'll find some way to work it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I will change my mind. I have already changed it six times - OBGYN to ENT, to Neurosurgery, to GI, to pediatrics with a subspecialty.

One thing seems to remain the same - I like surgery/procedures - I want to use my hands.

I love people, but I am not such a "people-person" and I feel much more energized working in silence with extreme focus. Like anatomy lab was awesome because I could focus on peeling layers away from my cadaver and I made some really beautiful dissections. My inguinal canal was gorgeous.

Of course, I know it is too early to commit. I just want to know if there are other moms out there in surgery? My husband is really supportive so I am not worried about child care and all that. I am a little concerned about missing school plays and such, but I know that my kids are 100% with this whole doctor mommy idea - they are my biggest supporters - and I also make sure that I don't promise them that I will be at any of their "things". I always come if I can, and if I can't, I watch their performance with them on our video camera so that I can ooh and aah with them after the fact.

Any more advice or should i just wait a couple of years and repost this? :laugh:

I am 30 years old, MS1 and mom of four. I want to be a surgeon. Pediatric surgeon actually. As I look through all the specialties I am drawn towards the surgical choices. Is this crazy? Please post if you've done that and survived. I need some support here!

Thanks!
You might change your mind. You might not. Focus on getting excellent grades for now - that's your only job as a MSI and MSII and you won't be able to reverse that later if you do not do well. Even as a third year medical student, you'll have little clue about what you're good at--and you'll expected to know at that point. Pediatric surgery is one of the most competitive surgical sub-specialties with many people (where I trained) taking two years out of a surgical residency to do research in order to make themselves more competitive. That's seven years - even before a pediatric surgery fellowship. Do you want to see your kids? This will get old for them quickly. I'm a parent of two. Sorry, but good luck.

Wait a couple years. Try asking around March of 3rd year when you're setting up fourth year rotations and thinking about ERAS. Then you'll have an idea of what you want to apply for and we can give you more help. You'll also have an idea of what kind of balance you want between medical and family.

It's just too early in your path to get advice that might actually do you some good later on.

Thanks!

Yeah, it's crazy. If you like surgery go for ENT or Optho or something just a little more family friendly with controlled hours and less years in residency.

You will probably regret not being around your kids at all just for the sake of doing work not to mention the lack of maternal care that they would need growing up.

Latchkey kids end up maladjusted a lot of the times, and if you want your kids to meet their potential, you have to be their to support them (not that you can't as a doctor, but as a surgical resident for 7 years you won't have any time literally).

And you're in your first or 2nd year? So we're talking another 9-10 years or so?

By that point they'll all be grown up and on with their lives.

But to each his/her own.

I'm not sure if you've looked into MomMD website/forum. I haven't spent much time over there so I don't know how it is set up but it may give you more of an idea of how things will run in your clinical /residency years after looking over there.

Here is the website: http://www.mommd.com/

I think really good advice has been given already. I agree with everyone else:

1)Concentrate on excelling in your coursework so you can keep your options as wide as possible. You seem to have a leaning toward procedural fields and there's a wide variety with varying lifestyles. So keep doing well so you'll be in the running for any or all of them if you're still into that stuff later.

2)Keep an open mind. There's a pyramid of ignorance about what fields will best suit us, and M1's like you and me are pretty much near the base only slightly above pre-meds. Keep exploring the possibilities.

I think you should go for it! Im a single mom of 2, four year olds and I want to be a psychiatrist! I am bipolar, and Ive have a lot of experience with people (family and friends) with addiction problems and I would love to help people like them and myself.

Yeah, it's crazy. If you like surgery go for ENT or Optho or something just a little more family friendly with controlled hours and less years in residency.

You will probably regret not being around your kids at all just for the sake of doing work not to mention the lack of maternal care that they would need growing up.

Latchkey kids end up maladjusted a lot of the times, and if you want your kids to meet their potential, you have to be their to support them (not that you can't as a doctor, but as a surgical resident for 7 years you won't have any time literally).

And you're in your first or 2nd year? So we're talking another 9-10 years or so?

By that point they'll all be grown up and on with their lives.

But to each his/her own.

Ophthalmology is not as controlled as everyone believes it is. While it is not as bad as Neurosurg or CT surg, you will rack up hours. You will get call for motor vehicle accidents, foreign body sensation, intraocular trauma, fractured orbits, emergency irodotomy for high IOP from glaucoma etc. In vitreo-retinal surgery, you will be called in for vitrectomies on detachments.

Future - I have never been interested in optho - but your post just made me rethink that! Fun!