Mom seeking advice on timing of re-application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amber80

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a mother to three kids (infant to preschoolers). I applied to med school for a 2015 admission but was not accepted. I am planning on reapplying next year. I already have a non-med career, but discovered that human biology was what really captures my imagination . Every time I take an advance Bio course I am fascinated by biological phenomenon. I have shadowed numerous doctors to become familiar with providing direct patient care settings. So there is no reservation when it comes to knowing that medicine is the field for me.

But I have a young family and med school and residency will potentially take excessive time away from them during their critical formative years. And I keep wondering if I should delay applying for a year or two so I can spend that additional few years forming a strong bond with my children and creating memories which will pay off while I am in med school and doing residency and beyond. They will also be a little more independent if I enter med school a few years from now and we would financially be better off.

My current MCAT score is competitive but I took the old MCAT in 2014, so I will have to retake the new MCAT if I delay applying another year. MCAT prep is a big time commitment, time that could be spent in med school taking med school classes if I get in when I apply in 2016.

One of my main concerns is, that if I delay med school application for a couple of years (while continuing my pre-med activities), so I can focus on family more during that time, I will be close to 39 when I start med school. If I go through a three year residency program, I will be 46 minimum when I start practicing. If I retire at 66 or 67 which is considered an average retirement age, I will have practiced for 20 years. Part of me questions if I would have taken a spot from somebody who could have practiced for 35 years by the time they are 66 or 67. Wouldn’t med training resources be better spent on a younger candidate, just based on pure math?

So what is the average age doctor’s retire? Are the additional maturity and skills older students bring with them sufficient to justify giving them a spot over a more traditional applicant? What are your thoughts?

I know I have a lot to offer as an older med student, but I just want to hear other perspectives, especially from people who are in similar situations or mothers who are currently in med school with young families. I am just trying to determine what the more responsible path is, when it comes to my family and becoming a physician.

So to summarize, I have completed my pre-med requirements, have a competitive MCAT score and GPA, have sufficient letters of recommendation, have already applied last year, but just trying to decide the timing of my re-application based on the information above.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people go to medical school at age 40.
You are not taking away from someone younger - you can't think of it that way.
I went to med school at 32 with a 2yr old and a 5 year old. Much easier when the kids are in school rather than fighting the daycare.
You will need to have a partner who can stay home with sick kids, etc. especially on rotations as you will not be able to "call in sick" or stay home with sick kids. Need to have your network in place.

Why didn't you get in last time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question. It was certainly not GPA or MCAT score. My journey to med school has been very long and without getting into too many details I think med schools wanted to see that I truly was committed to this path. I did not have any recent clinical volunteer hours and no recent research experience. Since then I have contributed to an abstract, and am working on a med related project. I am also hoping to start volunteering at a hospital soon. I have participated in non-clinical volunteer activities the past several years. I have been told that volunteer/research requirements for full time working parents are not quite as high as for traditional applicants. I think I have a good shot this application cycle. Let's see. Med school admission process is a mystery from what I can tell. Also trying to get more LORs and add to my shadowing hours. Any advice would be great. I am actually looking more for advice on going to med school as a parent with young kids.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO every year is formative, so you should choose whether or not to apply based on what you would want, not just the kids. If you get through residency sooner, you'll have more time around for them when they're old enough to remember it. If you wait a year or two, you'll get to have fun with them while they're young. Do whatever you want to do -- after all, you thought to apply last year so it seems you are looking forward to getting started.

I would also get started on volunteering sooner rather than later. It will make a big difference with your application, even if you don't do a huge number of hours per week.

it sounds like you may not be 100% committed. I don't mean to be cynical but as a mom I think it would take a heck of a lot more than an interest in biology to rip me away from my babies.

If you decide this is what you truly want and end up reapplying I'd say wait until the kiddos are older. It's crappy with young kids it's crappy with older kids but my 8 year old understands why I'm gone as much as I am, my 8 month old not so much. Plus, in residency I make very little and am paying $220/week in daycare + anywhere from 100-200/week for our nanny depending on my husbands work schedule. That's $1400/month... For one kid just because of my hours.

Reactions: 1 users
it sounds like you may not be 100% committed. I don't mean to be cynical but as a mom I think it would take a heck of a lot more than an interest in biology to rip me away from my babies.

If you decide this is what you truly want and end up reapplying I'd say wait until the kiddos are older. It's crappy with young kids it's crappy with older kids but my 8 year old understands why I'm gone as much as I am, my 8 month old not so much. Plus, in residency I make very little and am paying $220/week in daycare + anywhere from 100-200/week for our nanny depending on my husbands work schedule. That's $1400/month... For one kid just because of my hours.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I can truly empathize with you.

Really you have to consider the quality of doctor you will be. Would society be better off with someone who absolutely loves their career and brings a level of maturity and insight that most 28 year old newly-minted MD's will never achieve, or would it be better off with someone less qualified, who practices medicine longer. Perhaps I'm a bit egotistical or narcissistic (or both, lol) but I wouldn't be pursuing a medical degree if I didn't think I was going to be a truly great physician; I would let someone else do the job and instead do something I really had a passion for. As a long time patient, I have encountered more than my fair share of doctors who really could give two ****s about what they are doing. My brother-in-law suffered life long debilitating issues because of one such doctor. My intuition is that most of those doctors who simply go through the motions are likely the people who should have had their "spots" taken away from them by someone more enthusiastic about the profession. I personally plan on taking one of those spots and make no apologies for doing so ;)

Really you have to consider the quality of doctor you will be. Would society be better off with someone who absolutely loves their career and brings a level of maturity and insight that most 28 year old newly-minted MD's will never achieve, or would it be better off with someone less qualified, who practices medicine longer. Perhaps I'm a bit egotistical or narcissistic (or both, lol) but I wouldn't be pursuing a medical degree if I didn't think I was going to be a truly great physician; I would let someone else do the job and instead do something I really had a passion for. As a long time patient, I have encountered more than my fair share of doctors who really could give two ****s about what they are doing. My brother-in-law suffered life long debilitating issues because of one such doctor. My intuition is that most of those doctors who simply go through the motions are likely the people who should have had their "spots" taken away from them by someone more enthusiastic about the profession. I personally plan on taking one of those spots and make no apologies for doing so ;)
How on earth did she come across like that? Because she has children?

Thank you guys for taking out the time to share your perspectives and experiences. I really appreciate it. Good luck to all of you, both who are pre-med and those who are already in med school or residency. It is a long road, and words of encouragement are much appreciated.

How on earth did she come across like that? Because she has children?

Come across as what? I was merely addressing the question she posed:

Wouldn’t med training resources be better spent on a younger candidate, just based on pure math?

My 2 cents was simply that the value of a care provider is in not explicitly linked to the amount of time they spend in practice. Training resources spent on a mediocre doctor who practices for 30 years are, at least in my opinion, better spent on someone who excels, even if they only practice half as long.

Come across as what? I was merely addressing the question she posed:

My 2 cents was simply that the value of a care provider is in not explicitly linked to the amount of time they spend in practice. Training resources spent on a mediocre doctor who practices for 30 years are, at least in my opinion, better spent on someone who excels, even if they only practice half as long.
I re-read your post and realize that I misunderstood. I thought that you were suggesting that she reconsider med school because she might not be a high quality doctor. Now I see that you're pretty much saying the opposite (as long as she believes it to be the case). My bad! Also... totally agree.

I have flip flopped between waiting a couple of more years and applying next year several times since yesterday. I must have had too much time and sleep (not really). :)

OP, some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. I graduated one last year at 50!
I think I would be a great student. I just want to make sure I am not a completely miserable mom.

I know your feeling hon.. I have a 12 year old son now and i am applying in 2016 so that I would start Medical school when he starts high school. I will be 37 when i graduate, and 40 finishing residency. I am glad i waited until now, because there is greater independence with my son and I think i can really can be focused with studies. Personally as single mom i couldn't balance everything with my son. However, I met my mentor and she went to medical school when her son was 8 years old as a single mom. I think you can be an excellent parent and be focused on your career. You are a whole person, not only mom. If you need to be a physician to be fulfilled then do it, no question. If you were a man and wanted to spend time away from your family for career, people wouldn't tell you to do it and not give a second thought to it.

I know your feeling hon.. I have a 12 year old son now and i am applying in 2016 so that I would start Medical school when he starts high school. I will be 37 when i graduate, and 40 finishing residency. I am glad i waited until now, because there is greater independence with my son and I think i can really can be focused with studies. Personally as single mom i couldn't balance everything with my son. However, I met my mentor and she went to medical school when her son was 8 years old as a single mom. I think you can be an excellent parent and be focused on your career. You are a whole person, not only mom. If you need to be a physician to be fulfilled then do it, no question. If you were a man and wanted to spend time away from your family for career, people wouldn't tell you to do it and not give a second thought to it.
I hope everything goes well for you next year. Thank you for the encouraging words.