Moms who got the acceptance from NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vishwas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends,

I am mom of 13 months old baby and got accepted in NYU. I am glad but at the same time worried also about managing everything.
Is there any mom who also got accepted and is in the same situation as me?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Friends,

I am mom of 13 months old baby and got accepted in NYU. I am glad but at the same time worried also about managing everything.
Is there any mom who also got accepted and is in the same situation as me?
I'm a mom too.I have a 2yr.old and will have a newborn by the time school starts. Very happy too but also worried about how to manage things.Been speaking to a lot of student moms trying to find out what will fit my situation the best.I'm sure things will work out.

IF there are moms already in school please post and let us know how you manage time,kids.It will help others who are wondering and have no one to ask to.I have read on SDN forums its better to leave the kids back in home country with grandparents,dont know what others do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I got acceptance from NYU last week,I am a mom too have a daughter and a son.I am from NH and will have to stay in NY.I am planning to call my inlaws for 6 months and later my mom would be coming to take care of my kids lets see how is it going to work out.I am worried too but have decided to join NYU .lets hope for the best.which place are you from. :luck::xf:

Hi,
I am a dad of two as well. When my wife went to dental school, I took care of the child while working full-time. I would talk to your respective spouses and ask them to put an extra effort if they can (its their responsibility as well). But if you have 2 kids, you will definitely need someone else's services, like grand parents or a full time nanny etc. Good luck.

I m also accepted in NYU ..have a daughter of 18months...know will be quite hectic..but my mother-in-law will come for 6 mths n later my mom..:)

I have 15 month old daughter...got my letter yesterday.So still planning about wat to do....

I have 12month old.Apart from calling family members,any suggestions about day care?Any mom had/has the experience of sending kid to day care and attending college?

I have 12month old.Apart from calling family members,any suggestions about day care?Any mom had/has the experience of sending kid to day care and attending college?

Hi
I dont have children n am not even married, but will in the next 3 yrs for sure.So i have planned that if i have kids while in dental school or 2 yrs after graduating, i will prefer to send them to my home country.Day care in US is extremelyexpensive and in evening after day care closes will have to care for your child.more over the love which grand parents wil give their grand child is no match for a day care or even a busy detal school parent-student.
more over i personally believe that children brought up in ur home country are more cultured(no offense meant to people raised in US).getin grand parents in US is and option too, but the later option will alsohelp children to know their counry better and ensure that they will be exposed to al the things we were exposed to as children.
my personal opinion.:luck:

Hi
I dont have children n am not even married, but will in the next 3 yrs for sure.So i have planned that if i have kids while in dental school or 2 yrs after graduating, i will prefer to send them to my home country.Day care in US is extremelyexpensive and in evening after day care closes will have to care for your child.more over the love which grand parents wil give their grand child is no match for a day care or even a busy detal school parent-student.
more over i personally believe that children brought up in ur home country are more cultured(no offense meant to people raised in US).getin grand parents in US is and option too, but the later option will alsohelp children to know their counry better and ensure that they will be exposed to al the things we were exposed to as children.
my personal opinion.:luck:
It all depends on one's personal situation and management abilities. But I disagree with you on most counts.
Day care centers are usually open from 6/7 AM to 6 PM in most places. So, you w'd have to work around those timings. You or your spouse s'd pick up the child before they close or else a late charge will be assessed (usually 12-15$ for 15 mins or so). And yes, they are expensive, usually around 600 - 1500$/month depending on the child's age, location and whether full-time or part-time care was provided. I hope this helps.

Thanks hopekeepsmegoin and skabbaraju for your opinions.I cant get my inlaw/parents for the next 6months.I cant imagine staying away from her for 6months.Its a difficult decision:(

Last edited:
Hello you all,
I am planning in joining NYU in june, wanted to know if anyone is planning to commute from connecticut or if anybody has done it plzzzzzzzz advise if it is possible or not.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello you all,
I am planning in joining NYU in june, wanted to know if anyone is planning to commute from connecticut or if anybody has done it plzzzzzzzz advise if it is possible or not.
Thanks
I'll be commuting from connecticut. I'll be moving there from the midwest with my husband and 2 kids about 2 weeks before school starts. We are looking for a place that will give me about a 1 hour commute and an even shorter commute for my husband to his work since he will have more regular hours than I will.That way he can do the daycare run.I think it will be very doable. What else can I do? i just have to make it work.
My mother is a busy professional herself so I don't have the luxury of having her come over for 6 months.

Hi,
I am a dad of two as well. When my wife went to dental school, I took care of the child while working full-time. I would talk to your respective spouses and ask them to put an extra effort if they can (its their responsibility as well). But if you have 2 kids, you will definitely need someone else's services, like grand parents or a full time nanny etc. Good luck.
Skabbaraju, I totally agree with you about needing full time help if you have a spouse with a full time job and 2 kids.

Hi all
I'm not having kids but I know some managing with kids studying in school by keeping them in daycare. she is the one looking after her kid without any help from her parents and inlaws. so don't worry ,u too get a way...:)
All the best and congrats:thumbup:

hi,

i am also a mom of two kids and got acceptance from NYU.Iam planning to take my kids along and arrange for a nanny.But i am not sure about the schedule of the classes.Ihave heard that u r supposed to stay in the school after 6pmfor the lab work.Inthat case this option of day care or ananny is not going to work.Can any one suggest any other option

hi,

i am also a mom of two kids and got acceptance from NYU.Iam planning to take my kids along and arrange for a nanny.But i am not sure about the schedule of the classes.Ihave heard that u r supposed to stay in the school after 6pmfor the lab work.Inthat case this option of day care or ananny is not going to work.Can any one suggest any other option
I'm getting a live-in Nanny.That way I think can rule out cases where my nanny does not show up for the day or has to leave before I make it home.

Hai! i am a NYU D3 student and a dad aswell. iam following through ur discussions and i would suggest, u better bring someone from ur home country to take care of ur kids or send them there, that's what me and most of my classmates did very few managed with their kids here because their husbands opted for work from home. D2 in NYU is hectic and the schedule not constant so decided before ur program starts since u don't get holidays that frequently, to travel inbetween.

Hello everyone, I happened on this thread. I am finishing my residency and leaving NYC in June. We have an EXCELLENT live out nanny who will be looking for work come late may, early june or even july. She is never late, does some light cleaning, and has been amazing with our daughter from when she was a newborn until 18 months. Please PM me if you are interested in further details and possibly speaking with her.

Hello everyone, I happened on this thread. I am finishing my residency and leaving NYC in June. We have an EXCELLENT live out nanny who will be looking for work come late may, early june or even july. She is never late, does some light cleaning, and has been amazing with our daughter from when she was a newborn until 18 months. Please PM me if you are interested in further details and possibly speaking with her.
I'm interested in chatting with your nanny but i still have not figured out how to PM people here. I have a 2 and half year old and a newborn and will be starting the AP program at NYU in june.I'll be living in Connecticut though.

I was informed that we receive extra loan to help with the kids, is about 135 dollares for day care and 35 for food ,per week, each kid. They said that when I went to my interView at BU. I am a mom of 20 months old baby.

Hi,
I was in my third year of dental school when I had triplets, I took a semester off and then went back when they were 5 months old. We had a live-in nanny. Have you considered the great au pair site? It is greataupair.com. You can do it if you have live in help. I did it with 4 kids, 3 babies!!!!
Good Luck!:)

Hi,
I was in my third year of dental school when I had triplets, I took a semester off and then went back when they were 5 months old. We had a live-in nanny. Have you considered the great au pair site? It is greataupair.com. You can do it if you have live in help. I did it with 4 kids, 3 babies!!!!

i dont have words to praise you. you have made impossible to possible.i have two kids 4yrs and 2yrs,since i dont have a cosigner.i cant think of any other option other then sending them to my mom.

Hi,
WOW!! Good for you!:love::thumbup:

I'm a mom too.I have a 2yr.old and will have a newborn by the time school starts. Very happy too but also worried about how to manage things.Been speaking to a lot of student moms trying to find out what will fit my situation the best.I'm sure things will work out.
Hi,
I am a mother of two and am worried about how things r going to work.Have u arranged anything for ur kids.I am so undecided.

Hi,
I am a mother of two and am worried about how things r going to work.Have u arranged anything for ur kids.I am so undecided.
Hi,

I'm making arrangements for a nanny for my infant son and my daughter will go to daycare.my husband is trying to see if he can also work maybe 2 days fron home 'cos my son is very young.

What options are you looking at?

I really think these are decisions best made with your significant other, or family members. We here at SDN can't provide the social and physical support your lil kid is going to need; only family and friends.

That aside,t here was a woman in my 3rd year class that gave birth just before the 4th year began. She didn't miss much time at all and finished fine. Her husband owns her now though; most of the work fell on him and his parents. But in the end it worked out good for everyone.
Babies do need alot of care; and there are some mothers who would think to defer to spend time with the newborn. If it where me I would rough it out;better for me and the child in the long term; provided I had tons of support from friends and family; physical support not phone calls and words of encouragement.

thanks cresophene for your advice..I know it would be tough but looking at all my options right now..hoping things work out fine!