Monash Doctor of Medicine (MD) To be introduced in 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Australian Post-Grad MD/MBBS offer (2017-2020 intake)

• Griffith University

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bond University

• University of Notre Dame, Sydney

• ANU

• Total voters

Starriz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts regarding the shift from MBBS to MD at Monash University for its graduate program in 2017?
I recently accepted the offer from Flinders University. After reading through threads discussing the internship crisis in Australia, I am apprehensive about the situation in South Australia. I am hoping to apply for an internship place in Australia after graduation and the other states of Australia seem to have more opportunities for that to happen.

I am currently awaiting for news from Monash University & UoS. Are there any current international graduate student willing to message me to talk about their experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

It is not credible for Monash University to have copied others in changing their MBBS to Doctor of Medicine. The reason is that it is still a short 5 year undergraduate course which is essentially a basic degree. It is not reliable for Monash to embrace a Masters degree profile by way of a Doctor of Medicine when its course remains 5 years. There will be quality concerns for Monash when compared to those Universities with a 6 year medical program.

Yavin, your objection doesn't seem to make much sense -- UMelb, UQ, and USyd MD degrees are all four years, while only undergrad programs are 6 years. The fad to change to MD degrees in Australia was originally about competition for int'l students, just as the move to grad programs was (now I think it's more about others playing catchup for the domestic market), and while each of these used the degree accreditation process as an excuse to "revamp" their curriculum, the only real change from their postgrad bachelor's degrees is a few prerequisites, conveniently allowing for a slight increase in basic medical sciences teaching. I don't see why Monash can't do the same (Melbourne previously switched from undergrad to postgrad bachelor's just a few years ago).

----------------------------
I'm more intrigued by the poll for this thread -- not only is the question confusing (why not simply ask in plain English something like, "Where have you been offered a spot for 2017?"), but half the med schools aren't listed.

Last edited: