alucard

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Status
Hey everyone, I searched around the web about tuitions, compulsory fees and living expenses of the following universities and this is what I got, any corrections/updates are more than welcome. Thanks!

All based on NON-RESIDENT tuitions:

All PRIVATE schools have a letter P written next to it.

Tuition
Tuition + Compulsory fees
Tuition + Compulsory fees + Living Expenses

University of Maryland $23,589
Virginia Commonwealth University $44,286
University of Buffalo $50,674
University of Louisville $28,191
Temple University $40,003 P
Tufts University $67,032 P
Case Western University $43,000 P
University of Michigan $51,632
Columbia University $59,910 P
Boston University $50,000 P
New York University $75,791 P
University of Pittsburgh $58,790 P
University of Pennsylvania $60,973 P

Thanks a lot :)

The Musketeer

Guardian of Justice
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2004
Cleveland (ON, Can)
Visit site
Status
Dentist
alucard said:
Hey everyone, I searched around the web about tuitions, compulsory fees and living expenses of the following universities and this is what I got, any corrections/updates are more than welcome. Thanks!

All based on NON-RESIDENT tuitions:

All PRIVATE schools have a letter P written next to it.

Tuition
Tuition + Compulsory fees
Tuition + Compulsory fees + Living Expenses

University of Maryland $23,589
Virginia Commonwealth University $44,286
University of Buffalo $50,674
University of Louisville $28,191
Temple University $40,003 P
Tufts University $67,032 P
Case Western University $43,000 P
University of Michigan $51,632
Columbia University $59,910 P
Boston University $50,000 P
New York University $75,791 P
University of Pittsburgh $58,790 P
University of Pennsylvania $60,973 P

Thanks a lot :)
Alucard, may I know there you got this information? Also, do you have any information on other dental schools?

Mo007

Gifted Hands
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Status
Columbia (NYC) and UPenn (Philly) both ~ $60K/yr for Everything! - not bad for location, education and experience in the east coast! - I would go Tufts over them still.

Anyone knows total $ for Nova?

About the Ads

alucard

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Status
I got all the info by either using google --> more --> universities --> keyword: dental tuition or by going to that school's website.

I do have 3 or 4 more schools which I originally thought about applying but now seems unlikely. Which one would you like to know? :)

gryffindor

15+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
Dentist
I've paid tuition at University at Buffalo and lived here for the last 4 years as a New York state resident and I definitely did not borrow $50,000 per year. Try something closer to $30,000 per year.

I think that's how much international students would have to pay each year (like Canadians or others on student visas), not US Citizens/Green card holders who are New York residents.

Just wanted to clarify.

The Musketeer

Guardian of Justice
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2004
Cleveland (ON, Can)
Visit site
Status
Dentist
alucard said:
I got all the info by either using google --> more --> universities --> keyword: dental tuition or by going to that school's website.

I do have 3 or 4 more schools which I originally thought about applying but now seems unlikely. Which one would you like to know? :)
Well, UDM....

alucard

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Status
Hey Musketeer,

UDM I'm assuming is Detroit Mercy, right? It wasn't one school I thought about applying, so I can only quote a rough figure for their tuition, which I got a while back and cant remember from where, it was $35,000. Hope this helps.

ziptree

DDS
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
Status
griffin04 said:
I've paid tuition at University at Buffalo and lived here for the last 4 years as a New York state resident and I definitely did not borrow $50,000 per year. Try something closer to $30,000 per year.

I think that's how much international students would have to pay each year (like Canadians or others on student visas), not US Citizens/Green card holders who are New York residents.

Just wanted to clarify.

As the first post noted, those prices are based on non-resident tutition. =P

Even if you were a US Citizen/Resident Alien, you'd still have to pay non-resident tuition. =/

gryffindor

15+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
Dentist
Yup, just saw that. My bad. Still, NY is one of those states where you can get in-state tuition after your first year if you are a citizen or permanent resident. So the cost of attending Buffalo or Stonybrook would go way down for your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years.

Dentalist

carpe diem
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
griffin04 said:
Yup, just saw that. My bad. Still, NY is one of those states where you can get in-state tuition after your first year if you are a citizen or permanent resident. So the cost of attending Buffalo or Stonybrook would go way down for your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years.
In general, how hard is it to get into Buffalo or Stonybrook from out-of-state? (In terms of GPA/DAT score and acceptance/applicants, supposing one comes from pretty well-known college and has good essay, LORs and ECs.)

About the Ads

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Visit site
Status
Dentalist said:
Temple costs 160k for 4 years? Sounds like a good deal
You can actually minus a bit off that, cause in 3rd and 4th year you dont have to buy instruments.......Ive budgeted 145K for the 4 years, which includes living and eating decently, and everything else. Then Ill probalby add in an extra 10K for goodies so Im looking at 150-155K, living quite comfortably.

Remember, this does not include a car, but students at Temple tell me having a car is not necessary.....so its your preference. Im probably gonna get a car.

UBTom

Class '04 official geezer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2002
Queens, NY
www.iloveny.com
Status
Dentalist said:
In general, how hard is it to get into Buffalo or Stonybrook from out-of-state? (In terms of GPA/DAT score and acceptance/applicants, supposing one comes from pretty well-known college and has good essay, LORs and ECs.)
Buffalo has about 15 non-NYS students every year for a class of 85. Stony has none to very few (like 1 or 2) per year for a class of 35-40.

Reasonably good stats (like a 3.5GPA, 20/20DAT) will give you a good shot at Buffalo... You will most likely need STELLAR stats to even be considered for Stony.

HTH!

WS2004

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
For New Yorkers, nothing beats the cost of Buffalo or Stony Brook (in addition to their execellent reputation, curricula, etc.). And with the ability to declare residency after the first year, this option is available in the future for out-of-staters.

For information on University at Buffalo costs, see this website:

http://www.sdm.buffalo.edu/orientation/EstExpenses.pdf

preludexl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2001
Visit site
Status
Oh my gawd I didnt know some schools were so $$$. NYU's is ridiculous. I hope they serve you caviar and champagne for lunch every day for those prices. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Visit site
Status
Dentaldream said:
How much is the cost of living per year in Philly? I just looked at temple's website and for out of staters the base line tuition is $36,204. Alucard's number for temple cant be right unless cost of living in Philly is only $3700/year.

check out: http://www.temple.edu/bursar/tuition_rates.htm
Your right....I didnt catch onto this.....the figure she gave was for instate.....for outstate add $10,000 and a bit more.......so 55K per year for out of state.....

Rent in Philly is damn cheap.....you could get minimum type place for $400-600/month, or you can go for the whole thing with gym, sauna, huge living space, blah blah blah for like $800-900.....If you live with a roommate, you can get a VERY decent place with all the amenities for $600/each. All of these are in superb areas.

alucard

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Status
avingupta said:
Your right....I didnt catch onto this.....the figure she gave was for instate.....for outstate add $10,000 and a bit more.......so 55K per year for out of state.....

Rent in Philly is damn cheap.....you could get minimum type place for $400-600/month, or you can go for the whole thing with gym, sauna, huge living space, blah blah blah for like $800-900.....If you live with a roommate, you can get a VERY decent place with all the amenities for $600/each. All of these are in superb areas.
Yeah, sorry guys, the figure I had for Temple was based on 2001 stats, I checked again and it was for 2003, and it's about 45K roughly.

HuyetKiem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2004
Texas
Status
Dentist
Case Western:
Tuition: 37650 (fixed for all 4 years)
Fees: 11349
Living expenses: 14024
Total expenses: 63023

hi-speed513

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Status
BU I know is definitely more than 50K per year...at the interview they told us the total cost is 280K for four years, so it's probably more like 70K per year.

Mo007

Gifted Hands
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Status
Why would a school like UPenn (which already has a very high tuition), raise their total costs by 10%? - I would understand if the rise was applied to low tuition/costs, but their costs have already been far from the ground.

Dental school tuitions are already sky-scrapers of professional education... is this a way private schools want to expand their resources?

About the Ads