Money spent preparing for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misterex

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how much money did you guys spend preparing? When you include prep courses, books, buying aamc exams, etc..

Members don't see this ad.

$1500 for kaplan, borrowed EK materials from friends, split the cost of 6 practice exams (~$100), $230 for the exam (times 2)...however, I doubt this adds up to the amount of time I've actually spent studying for the exam!

Add in the monstrous cost of actually applying to med school and people already need to take out a loan. Not to mention the ridiculous cost of attending.

Haha, you don't even want to know how much money I've spent.....or rather wasted. I'll tell you how much I spent after I get my results; if they're good, I won't be ashamed; if they're poor, I'll keep it a secret.

Members don't see this ad :)
Appx $150-200 w/o the exam fee (bought cheap EK and used Kaplan books off of Amazon, + 1 AAMC exam).

Kaplan $1800 (basically a waste except actual study materials)
EK set $130 (loved it)
Nova Physics: $25
EK Audio Osmosis: $100 (hardly used it)

TOTAL: $2053, yikes. I took 6/15. Gave someone in my lab my EK set and Nova Physics to borrow, will probably sell EK Audio Osmosis online at some point, since i barely touched them except for to rip them onto my Ipod.

EK set $130 (loved it)

TOTAL: $2053, yikes. I took 6/15. Gave someone in my lab my EK set and Nova Physics to borrow, will probably sell EK Audio Osmosis online at some point, since i barely touched them except for to rip them onto my Ipod.

Don't forget the cost of the MCAT + 210.

EK set $130 (loved it)

Wow I bought the exact same materials as you!:laugh: Ok, couldn't stop myself and got EK1001 series too. How did it work out for you?

a lot. I bought everybook I could get my hands on, all of the aamc exams and two real mcat regostrations. include the textbooks I used to teach myself all the classes... and probably ended up at about $1500+. eek. glad its over.

Actually, I gave the Kaplan Center my credit card, they signed me up for the class, and for some reason never deducted the money from my bank account. Luck was on my side. :) To this day I think they still don't know they're missing $1500.

Kaplan premier book from ebay= $45.00
AAMC practice exams = $70.00
Exam = $210.00

Total was $325, not including transportation to test site.

Actually, I gave the Kaplan Center my credit card, they signed me up for the class, and for some reason never deducted the money from my bank account. Luck was on my side. :) To this day I think they still don't know they're missing $1500.

Lol yeah, pretty lucky.

I think I probably spent way too much. I've only managed to go through about 30% of my materials and I'm taking the test next week, so I guess if I'm not happy with my score, I'll take it one more time next year. I probably underestimated how much time it takes to go through a set of books. So I took the TPR course, have some Kaplan stuff, ordered BR and EK stuff, and got a couple AAMC exams.

Exam = $210.00
CBT10= $35.00

Do I win a prize?

/inhertired all of his brother's MCAT books

:banana: