1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

$$ Money $$

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ItsGavinC, Jul 12, 2002.

1. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    I've dodged this subject long enough -- and its been a while since we've had a good ole' discussion about moolah. Let's get it on!

How much $$ do you expect to bring home after 2-3 years of practicing? This will of course vary extremely depending on what type of practice you enter into, geographic location, etc. Post how much $$ your ideal scenario will earn you after just a couple years out of school -- and then post what you realistically think you'll be bringing home (if you dare).

Any takers?

-G

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cusp of carabelli

10+ Year Member

my ideal situation would be to become a partner in a practice where I get a company car (BMW Z3 roadster :cool: ), free health benefits, dates w/the cute hygenists/receptionists/patients in the office, and a starting salary in 7 digits. :p .......realistically though i'd probably get around $70K to $80K (before taxes) per year starting and run my civic until it dies while I pay off my $200K + in loans until 2016. :pissed: ...oh well...can't have it all...:p

4. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    I suppose I ought to answer my own question!

Ideally I'd like to be on the high end of the starting salary spectrum (duh!). I'll probably be a GP (I like the variety I've observed) and ideally would net around $150,000. Of course, if I did specialize then I'd be worth at least $200,000/yr :).

Unfortunately, that is a long shot from happening, and in the real world I'll probably be happy bringing home $80k or so for a 40-50 hour work week during the first couple of years. Of course, with massive loads of debt and a family to support, I don't think my first BMW will be arriving until I've been out of school for 7 or 8 years. Like cusp, I'll be driving my Civic into the ground also!

Anybody else care to add their $$ ambitions?

-G

5. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    Also up for debate & discussion: by the time you graduate from dental school, where do you see average incomes being? Will they continue to rise or begin to decline? What about the all-powerful workweek: more or less hours to go with the pay?

All opinions welcome (and needed!).

- G

6. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I personally think that the demands for dentists will continue to increase and since population will continue to grow exponetially with the decline of dentists due to retirement, etc. we will have our hands full. This means more pay, but also more time in the office, but that depends on us, of course.

Salary is not a huge factor for me as long as I can make enough to pay off them loans within 4 years after graduation.

Then after that I would be content with 100,000.

Maybe 120,000

Maybe 125,234

j/k

DesiDentist

7. vixen

vixen I like members
    10+ Year Member

this has to do w/money...but the money we're spending now for applications.....damn this sucks! esp the second time around...its really making me nervous...I hope I'm not left out in the cold like the first time...a real big dent to the self esteem and to the wallet :(

8. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Seema,

I know how you are feeling. My dad just looked at his credit card bill and he totally forgot that I applied to dental school and he was frantic and though that someone stole the credit card number. Sheesh, 1,000 bucks to have them make copies and send them to all the schools. I could have made copies and have already delivered them to the schools by now. This is the most I've spent on "copies" Oh well, Seema remember the money you're spending right now is nothing compared to what you will spend in dental school, and besides you are expecting good returns also. Don't worry keep you head up and remember schools may question you on why you applied to so many schools (assuming that is why you are sooOOOo worried) make sure you practiced a logical and honest answer: because you really want to be a dentist really bad. Keep you head up, i smell a victory for you this year.

DesiDentist

9. cusp of carabelli

10+ Year Member

how many schools did you apply to this time vixen?...just curious...=o)

10. vixen

vixen I like members
    10+ Year Member

19. I know to most of you thats a lot, but this is the second time around...I applied to about half that I first applied to and some new ones...I'd love to stay in the northeast, but if not I'd be willing to move....I just hope 2x is a charm...thanks for the support desi.

11. smile_doctor

smile_doctor Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Seema:

You'll do great this year! I'm sure you'll be turning down interviews before it's all over. Totally feel your pain about the $$ situation. I applied to 10 schools and between those fees and the DAT, I've already spent $1000. I still have yet to send supplemental fees to the schools and haven't even thought too much about travel expenses (if I get interviews)...:eek:

Good luck to everyone!

12. StarGirl

StarGirl .....
    10+ Year Member

i think you guys might be over worrying... just write a really great personal statement and get some good lettres of rec...that seem to have did it for me :p because my GPA sucks (no joke) and DAT were so so....
    nayways, guys don't worry too much you guys will do fine :) i have confidence in you all...and yes it's expensive so once you get into a good school try to narrow it down and not attend all interviews (which I went to all and waste a TON of money on travel and hotel fees).

But onto what this threat was started for...how much will I BE WORTH?! That's a tough question... well, consider that the orthodontist that I worked for made over 1300 a DAY working for someone else... I expect that w/ inflation and stuff by the time I graduate (if I get into orthodontics) to make 1800 a Day...five days a week for 52 weeks that would make me worth a grand total of 468,000 a year. :) Then again if I decide to go to oral surgery or endodontics... I hear people are making about 1 mill a year now...so with inflation and stuff maybe 1.25 million a year! :eek: Ok ok back to reality, I'll probably end up being a general dentist with a HUGE debt that'll follow me for the rest of my life as I sit and make my 80K a year and I guess I'll have to be satisfied at least I am not working at a fast food joint (that that I have anything against it...and you guys better not too! :mad: )
    :laugh: