Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Money

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by september90, Aug 22, 2002.

1. september90

september90 Junior Member

Hey everyone,

How are you? How does everyone feel about not being able to have a job in Med school and thus no income? Sometimes I simply feel like getting a job and earning some money. Is anyone else thinking about this stuff.

Looking forward to your responses,

Dave

2. osteopeddoc

osteopeddoc Member
    7+ Year Member

thats why I am trying to save my money this year, but its hard with the draining burden of interviews and applications.

No, I don't think I would try to get a job in med school. i will be too stressed trying to learn everything. I think its nice that we can get student loans and not have to worry about it, while in other countries, its not as easy to go to med school, unless you are a genius. Its not as financially advantageous to go to med school now-a-days, but can you really complain??Its a guaranteed profession, as long as you get through it, and I have yet to see a starving doctor.:)

3. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

For most people, the Stafford loans are more than sufficient to live on while in medical school. As an out of state DO student, (with tuition, let's say 25k), I get about 15k to live on for the year. About 7.5k per semester. That's easily enough for a single person to live on. I know a FEW people in my class that work while in school (a pharmacist comes to mind, but he was also a brainiac). I myself work part time as a medical defense paralegal, and have throughout medical school, but that is part time with maybe 20 hrs a month. There is NO WAY you can have a full time job or even a nights/weekends kind of job and still stay sane during medical school. Unless you're a brainiac pharmacist.
    Q

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Some schools offer student positions that are integrated into the curriculum to be sure that you have enough time for both school and work. I work with a curriculum management database and log about 10 to 20 hours each week. It's not a whole lot of money, but it pays the rent. It is doable. Other types of jobs that are available through my medical school include an A/V tech that coordinates Audiovisual equipment, student librarians, student computer helpdesk, etc.

5. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I plan to continue working a day or 2 per week while in medschool year 1 and 2. I know several PA's who have done this successfully-e

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Toejam

Toejam Terminal Student
    7+ Year Member

I'm not in yet, but when I do get in I have a plan.

I'm a podiatrist and I can have a P.A. do a lot of my stuff for me. I can also be in my office on slow days and study and still see patients. It might sound crazy, but I've already figured out that I don't need to be in school all day, every day. And my practice is mellow enough to where I spend about half of the day just surfing on the Net or reading newspapers.