Money!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kappapiomega

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are you all paying for this???? I am about to break down and beg on the street for interview money!! HAHA. Oh well any suggestions or ideas (something other than stripping or robbing a bank would be appreciated!! lol). Thanks:D :D

Members don't see this ad.

Just do what I do. Charge everything on a card and worry about it later.

Take out bigger student loans than you need your sophmore and junior years and use that money. When you run out take out another loan or use credit cards. If you're admitted you can use a student loan to pay off the CC and if not you'll just be like the average student when they graduate having both credit card and stuent debt. Or maybe you could get a summer job and use that money. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
careful on racking up too much c/c debt...once you get into school you'll probably need to take out 'alternate loans' to cover any expenses above the federally subsidized $38,500...these loans are provided by private lenders who don't like applicants with large debt-to-income ratios.

I heard that when you fill out the fafsa you are supposed to include your parents tax info on there. I will be married upon entering school, and my parents are definitely not helping me with any of the expenses of med school. How do they determine need if they are basing it off of an income that I have no access to? Any advice or corrections to this info would be great.

I believe that even if you are married the parent's income is needed by the school. Their income will not adjust the amount of aid you get, but the school uses it for their own federal funding issues.

yeah, the schools will want your parent's info 'cause they have their own F/A available (scholarships, grants) and want to give it to the students with the least support (which I guess they interpret to be the one's with the poorest parents). So, unless you want to be considered for these awards, you will not need to provide your parents' info to your school.

For the FAFSA, if you don't want to have to go quizzing your parents about their finances, just estimate their income and then choose the menu option 'Estimated Income from 1040A'...I've done this the last two years and they've never come back for actual figures. The info you provide will not affect your eligibility for the standard $38,500 disbursement, although it might preclude you (along with your previous salary) from scoring a Perkins Loan.

PM with any questions.