Monopoly of American graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osamah

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear fellows,
I want to ask from American dentists/dental students, that is it right to charge an additional US$1,50,000 & 3-4 years from Internatonal Dentists to recognize there degrees & award them DDS degree which make them eligible to fight for license in USA?>

Most of overseas dentists coming to USA has already followed American system of education, studied from US/UK books & they are usually at the same standard as to US dentists. Now declining them to practice & in other terms forcing them to do International DDS program with same old books they already read in there final years in there home countries, is a really bad choice... If there doubts for there previous education, which I think Americans should have, they can check the dentist's capability & quality by certain exams both clinical/theoratical. Those who failed, can opt to join DDS program & those who passed may be allowed to sit for licensing exams of different states/boards, which will more streamline there qualifications.

It is a kind of Monopoly/Dont care policy towards International dental community to require from them US DDS degree for licensing purposes. Are there no good Dental Schools abroad?

Moreover nobody can afford US$1,50,000 program fee. Even US students driving there incoms in US Dollars can not .... But offfcourse US students can apply for loans, Stipunds., Scholarships etc. BUT at this end, there is no way for Overseas applicants arriving in US... They can not apply for Bank loan, They are not eligible for Federal/Private aid. But they have to pay hefty amount of US$100000+ to spend last two years in US school.,....wow..wt a policy of ADA/Licensing bodies to keep supremacy of US degrees on all over the world...

Dr.Osamah Qureshi
New York

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps the dental profession has an oversupply of dentists and are trying to lower the amount that comes into the country?
So it may be a good thing for native dentists to not have foreign dentists to compete against.
Tim.

Dear,

If USA is overpopulated by Dentists, then why ADA said in its last report that Dentists are not uptill required numbers in rural areas in USA. More over if there r really more dentists than US needs, it is not a fact that justify charging thousands of dollars with round the world people for US degrees...It is strightly called Monopoly & strategy of US......ADA can define a stric exam standard for overseas dentists like USMLE for Doctors, with passing ratio of not more than 10% !!!!!!!!!! In that way you can safegaurd your dental borders... Or you can devise other strategies to ensure quality of overseas dentists...

Members don't see this ad :)
All nations have rules for licensing foreign educated health care professionals. That is their privilege. Many will not even license US educated dentists, physicians etc. The practice right of osteopaths is denied by many countries; the UK restricts DOs to manipulation only.

The requirement for foreign dentists to take two more years of clinical education in the US at those dental schools who have such programs, like NYU, and pass licensing exams
is to assure adherence to US standards.
You may complain loudly if you wish to and if it makes you feel better to vent, but after you get it out of your system, the rules still stand and to obtain what you want, play by the rules.

osamah

i find your remarks very ill informed. we all know that foreign schools have a range of qualities (some are pathetic, some are excellent).

if you are a greencard holder, you should have no problems getting loans (the tuition is the same as my tuition).

i know a few foreign dentists that are in my program, and they DID NOT go through the same program as us.

i personally think, the system is good right now. foreign dentists have to repeat 3rd and 4th year of dental school to get licensed in the US.

i wonder why you are so bitter towards the US. if you do not like the system here, why are you here?

Dear all my friends,

Thanks you all for your replies.My friends, raised many points about my message. Lets reply one by one.
1. One fiend said that if i have Greencard i can get loans easily & so i can do DDS. It is stupid reply. How can an overseas Dentist, just arrived in US for his studies can get Greencard? The process takes several years.

2.Some friends said that it is the right of US to safegaurd its standards. I accept that right. Nobody can not deny it. But i am complaining about system.You can streamline the standards of overseas dentists by passing through from examinations to get there picture of capabilities. It is enough i think. If overseas Doctors can get US residency after passing certain exams than why not overseas Dentists who are in far lesser position of patient care?????

ADA is not accepting any Degrees from overseas countries. Its accrideted colleges are ONLY OF USA???? Is it justified? You dont even consider overseas Colleges to be accrideted ..why'???? If you can, overseas Colleges wil happy to recieve ADA accreditation standards on there own costs & i am sure hundereds of Colleges round the globe are of same standard as of US Dental Schools or more good than US schools!!!!! Can ADA consider this option????

Now see US has a democratic & free society or not!

Dr.Osamah
DDS.MS.PhD.FDRCS.FICS

Osamah,

I certainly don't want to start a war, but I find your comments ridiculous.

A few questions you should ask yourself before you start to complain about living in America.
--Why do international dentists come to America to practice, better yet why does anyone want to come to America?
--If Americans have to endure the American dental curriculum to become American dentists, why on earth shouldn't international dentists have to (at least to some extent)?
--Is it possible that there are competent foreign dental schools? Absolutely
--Is it possible there are incompetent foreign dental schools? Absolutely
--Should the United State have to search the world to distinguish the good from the bad?
--Should American tax dollars be spent searching the globe for competent dental schools, so the foreign dentists can come here and set-up shop effortlessly?

Osamah, those questions are simply to get you thinking. It is obvious that the US wants to protect their citizens and American trained professionals. As you said--- it is their right. It is also imperative that the US have one standard that every international dentist must achieve before he/she can practice. It allows no favoritism to any one country or school. It is consistent and without bias.

It is amazing that you complain about 2 years of extra schooling and a couple of $$---to live in a land that allows you to make as much money as you want for as long as you want. Isn't abiding by the standards worth it? Do you really feel that the USA is ripping you off? Do you think the USA is using you and your talents? Come on, get real my friend. Your opportunity is endless. Stop looking at the insignificant and start looking at the bigger picture. There are 1000s of people who have sailed across the ocean in rafts without food and water---just to live in America, many never making it. And all you have is a problem with a couple of dental standards?!

I believe everyone should have a right to be as lucky as Americans. As long as you're willing to abide by her rules. An example: just because you are from England doesn't give you the right to drive on the left side of the road in America. Rules are Rules, if you don't like them, the wonderful thing about freedom is you are free to leave.

Lastly, I didn't want to attack this issue but I think it helps my point. I realize english isn't your first language but the plethora of errors in your posts have me concerned. As a dentist or any medical professional it is imperative that your patient understands you. A misplaced comma turns 10,000 into 1,0000 and could spell trouble when writing prescriptions. The wrong verb tense turns "having into had". ect... That is precisely why I feel America needs to have certain standards.

Respectfully,
R.R.B

Osamah.....

I have to agree with the other people in that you are very ill-informed about many issues.

There are loans SPECIFICALLY for international students. (follow the instructions and you will see the loan amount)

Your complaints about the regulations for international students are completely absurd. Each country has its own standards of conducting dental practice; no one set of regulations is better than the other one. However, if an US dentist wanted to start a practice in Portugal, he/she will have to abide by their standards and not american standards. Same thing goes if you want to come to America and start your practice.

If you complain so much about how the ADA sucks, why do you even bother wanting to obtain the ADA accredation? If you think you are too proud to repeat another 2 years of dental education, then dont even bother applying for it. America wont mind having 1 less dentist.

Dear friends,
My replies are as,
1. I am not against US. I am against the procedure ADA is following to accredit overseas dental degrees.

2.Its a bias behaviour that accredited Colleges are ONLY of USA???? Every country respect others Education & accredit them according to its standards.

3.If Medical students can treat patients in USA without repeating 2 years than why not Dental Students?

osamah

first, there is not a monopoly against foreign dentists. i have no problem with the US and Canada preferring their own graduates over 'foriegn' graduates.

secondly, you are not even a resident, so i do not see why you are complaining about the system. i would understand your complaints if you were a resident, but you are not. i do not think you have any right to complain.

another point is that there is a VERY VERY wide range of dental education in foreign countries. i know this from personal experience where i have met foreign dentists. US and Canadian schools have a much more standardized curriculum which means that most dentists learn the same curriculum.

foreign phsicians need to do a residency which can last a lot longer than the mere 2 years a foreign dentist needs to do. so your argument does not hold any water.

if you do not like the system here, i wonder why you would venture to the US in the first place?

A minor point, perhaps. The ADA and AADS have authority only to accredit US dental schools. A non-US dental school is recognized or accredited by the designated legal authority in each country. There is a World Health Organization (WHO) book listing all dental schools in every country recognized (accredited) by the appropriate authority.

There are a large number of dental schools throughout the world and it not possible for licensing authorities (which are the 50 individual states in the US) to inspect each and every one of them to determine if they are up to whatever standards the US states require of their own dental school graduates to become licensed.

Hence, the requirement for foreign dental school graduates to do two years of CLINICAL training in any one of the several dental schools in the US that offer such a program. The only one I know of (there are others) is New York University College of Dentistry. In fact, many Soviet emigre dentists who have been in practice for years have gone through that program to become licensed to practice.

Have you never heard of the expression "when in Rome do as the Romans do?"

After you get your anger and annoyance out of your system do what you have to do. It is out of your hands.

By the way, if you are neither a US citizen nor permanent resident, you may be unable to become licensed. You will have to check out the law in any state in which you would want to practice.

hey there Osamaha,

Your remarks against the ADA make no sense. Just because you are an oversea's qualified dentist why should u have the right to come practice here? That puts all the local graduates or students at a disadvantage. This is only natural. If you are so qualified overseas why did u even bother coming to the US? Probably for better opportunities, right? Then why should you be afforded special treatment? Also your English needs a lot of work and it surprises me that you claim that you are qualified enough from overseas to start over here yet i gurantee with your grammar you will have difficulty understanding patients and even worse they will have difficulty understanding you.

Obviously your foreign dental program does not qualify you well enough if you have problems with the English language.

hey ohsama ( bin laden...jk) Every coutry has its own right do to basically what it wants..whether it is right or not...just look at the Taliban dudes in that strange country of afganistan..man they dont let you do anything over there. Well this dental thing is the sam way. TOUGH LUCK. I am being humorous might I add.