Montefiore vs Beth Isreal vs St. Vincents vs LIJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychgroupie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Though I've got other great interviews in other states (Hopkins, Stanford, UCSF, Yale, Brown, GW, Georgetown) these were the only NY programs that I got unfortunately and I've decided that I really want to be in NY.

I'm thinking of ranking them in the order i put in the title, but I'm still confused. Any thoughts/advice/bits of wisdom that you have on these programs would be most appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm looking to stay in NY too. I was really impressed by Monte as well. I loved the day dedicated to didactics and it seemed as if the staff was very supportive of their residents. The residents I talked to seemed pleased with their choice and felt as if they were well trained. I was a little concerned about the pt population possibly being limited due to the location of the hospital but I'm still working through that.
I also liked St Vinnie's. I think the location offers amazing pt diversity and their program director and faculty seemed to promote a nurturing environment for their residents. I'm still concerned about the financial difficulties they had in the past and how that could potentially affect me in the future if I did decide to go there.
LIJ has a great reputation and the fact that it has a stand alone psych hospital offers a really unique experience. I'm not too thrilled about living in Long Island but that's just personal preference.
I can't comment on Beth Israel b/c I didn't interview there but now I'm secretly wishing I did since I've heard great things about it from others.
I'm going back on forth on my rank list so I may not be the best person to offer my opinions on these programs. Hope this helped somewhat! Good luck. :)

hey! i am also stucked in the same situation. I am trying to decide between brown beth israel and LIJ. I liked brown a lot but I also want to stay in NY. I am trying to figure out whether choosing a program based on location makes sense. As Brown is in ivy league but its location is terrible. beth israel's location is great as it is in downtown manhattan. LIJ's program is a nice one, but not as good as brown's i guess. Sorry I am not very helpful to you, best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, is anyone familiar with the housing arrangements of the various programs in NYC? Do most programs offer subsidized housing? It seems as though it would almost be required, given the cost of living.

Also, is anyone familiar with the housing arrangements of the various programs in NYC? Do most programs offer subsidized housing? It seems as though it would almost be required, given the cost of living.

Mt Sinai offers subsidized housing, and I believe just about everyone who wants it gets it. The rates are 1200-2000 and the apartment tend to be quite large and pretty nice, usually with doormen. They are all located near the medical center. (in the 90s betweed first and Park)

Montefiore offers subsidized housing to all residents as well. I can't remember the price but it is really cheap. The apartments are decent, but they are located in the Bronx right across from the hospital. Convenient to work but residents said there wasn't much too do right in the neighborhood. They also have limited subsidized housing in Riverdale, where residents with children tend to live

NYU offers limited subsidized housing, the further away you are moving from, the more likely you are to get it. The rates were similar to Sinais, maybe a tad more expensive, although the apartments I saw were smaller and not quite as nice. Located close to hospital.

It's tougher to get the NYU housing, as residents are pretty low in priority, I think they said they get whatever is left over after faculty and fellows are housed.

Montefiore housing is very cheap for New York standards, something like $1000 for a 2 bedroom. I think Sinai's was something like $1200 for a pretty good-sized studio, which is expensive but still substantially less than you'd be paying otherwise for the location and doorman building.