Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Months before med school??

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by E'01, Oct 29, 2001.

1. E'01

E'01 1K Member

Medical Student
    Hi,

For those who are in medical school right now, did you work/volunteer right up until classes or did you take some time off? Considering that I've never had a summer off since 1995, I would like 3 months off before I begin med school, but I'm not sure how my PI would respond to that. I already feel guilty about just recently deciding not to volunteer as an EMT anymore... I work 6 days/week and do a host of other activities, and was beginning to feel quite burnt out.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sport

sport Senior Member

E'01

I am in the same boat you are. I am currently applying for schools and if/when accepted I will then have to make the decision about what to do before school. Currently, I am working full time plus to pay for all the costs I have incurred with interviewing and saving for acceptance deposits; therefore my volunteering has came to a screeching halt.

Personally, I think its ok to take some time off to regroup. I will get more involved in a few months when things settle down....Then before school starts I am going to take at least a month to go and travel. :D

4. Amy

Amy Animal Lover
    Physician

Attending Physician
    TAKE TIME OFF! You deserve it. It's nice to take some R&R time before you have to hit the books for the next 10 months. I traveled around the western US for a month during the summer, and I had a great time. It's not a bad idea to work a little to make some money (having extra cash is always a good thing), but above all, enjoy your summer. Congrats on your acceptance! :)

5. tonem

tonem Senior Member

I agree with Amy...take time off!!!

6. Fanconi

Fanconi Senior Member

OMG!!!!! You need and deserve a BREAK! Do NOT feel guilty for doing so. Med school is one heckuva long haul. You totally need some RNR. Do yourself a favor. Go someplace warm and drink margaritas on the beach for those three months.

**wishing I could do that right now**

Fanconi //:^}
    A burned out M3 :(

7. E'01

E'01 1K Member

Medical Student
    Awwww thanks guys!! I feel so much better now :) :) I'm definitely going to follow the advice and just kick back and relax. Thanks Amitha726 for the congrats and good luck with everything Sport.

8. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    DEFINITELY TAKE TIME OFF!!!!! I was in the EXACT same situation last year that you are in now. I ended up taking 2 months off, but in retrospect, I wish I would have taken a lot more time. Med school is not necessarily that conceptually difficult, but it is really, really time consuming so go out and have fun now.

9. E'01

E'01 1K Member

Medical Student
    Thanks for those words of advice Lilycat. I've decided to opt out of applying to this health care management summer program and instead take off 3 months beginning in May. :) yay!!!

10. Lt. Ub

Lt. Ub Senior Member

You won't regret it. Trust me. I've been in the clinics for 43 weeks with only one week off - I'm dying to sleep, travel, or even be bored.

11. tidy_kiwi

tidy_kiwi Senior Member

I am going to be working right up until one week before school starts. Then I gotta pack my things and hop across the ditch and find somewhere to live for the next four years.......

12. E'01

E'01 1K Member

Medical Student
    I'm looking forward to it already. I just wanna be able to sleep in late, relax and read in the garden and play/compose music all day! But then I must think of the financial realities of the above...