Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Months before med school??

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by E'01, Oct 29, 2001.

1. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi,

For those who are in medical school right now, did you work/volunteer right up until classes or did you take some time off? Considering that I've never had a summer off since 1995, I would like 3 months off before I begin med school, but I'm not sure how my PI would respond to that. I already feel guilty about just recently deciding not to volunteer as an EMT anymore... I work 6 days/week and do a host of other activities, and was beginning to feel quite burnt out.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sport

sport Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

E'01

I am in the same boat you are. I am currently applying for schools and if/when accepted I will then have to make the decision about what to do before school. Currently, I am working full time plus to pay for all the costs I have incurred with interviewing and saving for acceptance deposits; therefore my volunteering has came to a screeching halt.

Personally, I think its ok to take some time off to regroup. I will get more involved in a few months when things settle down....Then before school starts I am going to take at least a month to go and travel. :D

4. Amy

Amy Animal Lover
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    TAKE TIME OFF! You deserve it. It's nice to take some R&R time before you have to hit the books for the next 10 months. I traveled around the western US for a month during the summer, and I had a great time. It's not a bad idea to work a little to make some money (having extra cash is always a good thing), but above all, enjoy your summer. Congrats on your acceptance! :)

5. tonem

tonem Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

I agree with Amy...take time off!!!

6. Fanconi

Fanconi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

OMG!!!!! You need and deserve a BREAK! Do NOT feel guilty for doing so. Med school is one heckuva long haul. You totally need some RNR. Do yourself a favor. Go someplace warm and drink margaritas on the beach for those three months.

**wishing I could do that right now**

Fanconi //:^}
    A burned out M3 :(

7. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Awwww thanks guys!! I feel so much better now :) :) I'm definitely going to follow the advice and just kick back and relax. Thanks Amitha726 for the congrats and good luck with everything Sport.

8. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    DEFINITELY TAKE TIME OFF!!!!! I was in the EXACT same situation last year that you are in now. I ended up taking 2 months off, but in retrospect, I wish I would have taken a lot more time. Med school is not necessarily that conceptually difficult, but it is really, really time consuming so go out and have fun now.

9. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks for those words of advice Lilycat. I've decided to opt out of applying to this health care management summer program and instead take off 3 months beginning in May. :) yay!!!

10. Lt. Ub

Lt. Ub Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You won't regret it. Trust me. I've been in the clinics for 43 weeks with only one week off - I'm dying to sleep, travel, or even be bored.

11. tidy_kiwi

tidy_kiwi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am going to be working right up until one week before school starts. Then I gotta pack my things and hop across the ditch and find somewhere to live for the next four years.......

12. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm looking forward to it already. I just wanna be able to sleep in late, relax and read in the garden and play/compose music all day! But then I must think of the financial realities of the above...