Months in Cardio-thoracic ICU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellow

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm trying to figure out some of my elective time in critical care fellowship.

How many months of Cardio Thoracic-ICU do you need to feel comfortable managing it on your own? 1 month, 2 months, 3 months?

Your advice would be appreciated...thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

On your own? Lol.

I'm sorry I know you're asking a serious question but a few months isn't going to make you feel comfortable on your own. More months will be better than no months. And you'll largely learn the surgeon or group of surgeons style of managing which can be different than a surgeon of group of surgeons somewhere else. If you imagine it being a big part of your future do max months. If not or you don't know then do a month or two to become familiar with the generalities.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Dude, my fellowship had a strong focus on an Anesthesiology managed, closed unit, CTICU and I still don't feel 100% comfortable. If you truly want to get comfortable you need to do a number of months.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't matter how you feel, you ll end up doing whatever the surgeons want you to do anyways

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome - thank you for the responses. Really appreciate it.

new fellow here. first two months in the CV ICU. starting to get a bit more comfortable, but still a long way to go :whistle: