Moonlighting 8hrs+/wk during 2nd residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted728364

Curious premed here. From what I've read on this forum and elsewhere online, it seems very possible for (1) residents to moonlight and (2) attendings to pursue a second residency.

If one were to pursue one residency, practice for a few years, and then pursue a second residency (for whatever reason), would it be possible to moonlight for an entire workday each week? As an attending that could add $40-50K per year (and when combined with ~$50K for residency isn't a bad salary).

Are residency programs a bit more relaxed with requirements for requirements when it comes to attendings pursuing a second residency? I'd assume one's relationship with the hospital/program directors would go a long way - but is this remotely possible?

Members don't see this ad.

No. Program directors don’t care that it’s your second residency - there is still a job that needs to get done by a resident, regardless of your past training. You’re unlikely to get any special treatment regarding scheduling just because you’ve completed a prior residency, and the idea strikes me as unfair to your potential coresidents. Once you’re in med school and residency, you’ll understand better why.

That’s not to say you won’t be able to moonlight, depending on the residency, but don’t expect to be treated differently from the other residents. Better to do one residency in the specialty you want to practice, and then just practice that specialty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Curious premed here. From what I've read on this forum and elsewhere online, it seems very possible for (1) residents to moonlight and (2) attendings to pursue a second residency.

If one were to pursue one residency, practice for a few years, and then pursue a second residency (for whatever reason), would it be possible to moonlight for an entire workday each week? As an attending that could add $40-50K per year (and when combined with ~$50K for residency isn't a bad salary).

Are residency programs a bit more relaxed with requirements for requirements when it comes to attendings pursuing a second residency? I'd assume one's relationship with the hospital/program directors would go a long way - but is this remotely possible?
This is a really off the wall question. Lets take a step back.

It is possible for residents/fellows to moonlight within the rules if and only if:

1) They have an unrestricted medical license (only necessary for "external" moonlighting)
2) They have explicit permission from their program director
3) Their total work hours between training and moonlighting does not exceed 80 hours per week as averaged over 4 weeks.

If one is board certified in a primary field, seeking further training (whether fellowship or a second residency for some strange reason), and has the permission of their program director, one can certainly moonlight within the 80 hour/week restriction. I find it unlikely that a program director would make any distinction between his trainees based on prior training - most will either allow everyone to moonlight, allow no one to moonlight, or allow a subset to moonlight based on a prespecified criteria (like: must do better than XYZ percentile on the in-training exam).

How feasible is moonlighting really varies from program to program. If you're in a heavy-duty general surgery program, it's unlikely you'll get the PDs permission or even have the time to moonlight much. On the other hand, EM and Psychiatry residents in many programs can pick up moonlighting shifts worth >$100,000 over the course of their last year of training. Both often have fairly light schedules and ample opportunities for moonlighting. Same is true for fellowships - as an Endocrine fellow I made ~$30k/year moonlighting as a hospitalist without working an excessive amount of shifts. I could have pretty easily made more - but I do value my time off. OTOH, for example, GI fellows have a much heavier workload and much less time to moonlight.