Moonlighting as a PGYII

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Can someone tell me something about moonlighting in your second year of residency?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of my colleagues do it. (I'm a DINK - double income/no kids, so I haven't had to).

You have to have your permanent license - pass part 3 of boards, apply to State Medical Board. Then you talk to recruiters and they have forms you have to fill out as well.

Usually the opportunities are in EDs, often rural or sometimes in town but at the VA hospital, etc. Some of the IM residents were moonlighting at SNFs - I guess they would have a doc-in-a-box on site at nights.

The EDs would pay about $60 an hour; if they were desperate you could talk 'em up to 70 or 80. That includes insurance coverage. I'm sure this varies by region.

Usually the shifts were for 24 to 48 hours straight, so you slept in a back room while you were there. Usually pretty quiet, but rarely some real excitement. My classmate triaged several family members from a car crash - intubated, central lines, chest tubes - before transferring to our trauma center. You are there without any back up at all, so be ready to treat crashing MIs, respiratory failure, trauma, so forth, although typically you're more likely to see rashes and broken bones.

The new ACGME rules starting July 2003 will likely curtail moonlighting activities @ most programs if it becomes strictly enforced (as they say it will be). Also the ability to moonlight @ VAMC's can vary - te one here in Louisville won't let you work unless you're board eligible in something.

wait a minute! 60-80$/hr x 24-48hrs = 1440 - 3840$

that's not bad for 1-2 days work. my gawd! that's amazing!

(sorry, i graduate med school 350k in debt and that looks very very nice)

-MD pending.

Originally posted by choker
wait a minute! 60-80$/hr x 24-48hrs = 1440 - 3840$

that's not bad for 1-2 days work. my gawd! that's amazing!

(sorry, i graduate med school 350k in debt and that looks very very nice)

-MD pending.

Some residents can double their salary by moonlighting. However, working the additional hours can really wear you out. Some programs will not allow moonlighting. Iowa has really strict rules about moonlighting.

You should see some of the moonlighting opportunities available to PGY-4 (R3) and PGY-5 (R4) radiologists. I would be more than willing to give up a week (9days) of my vacation to cover some rinky-dink hospital for a week and walk out with a cool 20-30K (depending how desparate the practice/hospital really is). A downside to this is that you will be treated as an independent contractor and in the eyes of the IRS that means that you must make estimated *quarterly* income tax payments to the IRS, unless the hospitall does the taxes for you, which is not always the case. If you fail to make these quarterly payments you will incur not only a penalty but interest fee as well. In any case, I urge you to also be careful about malpractice insurance. Make sure they cover your ass with a policy that remains in effect even after you leave the job for the life of statue of limitations on the patient population you treat.

Hi Folks,
Moonlighting is strictly prohibited at my institution. Some of the Anesthesia residents can pick up extra cases for money but that is not considered moonlighting but extra work within the institution. Anything otherwise is grounds for dismissal.
njbmd