Moonlighting curtailed by poor/no reimbursement from insurance companies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plasmacutter95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Something our program in Indiana has run into seems to be moonlighting obstacles because in convenient care the insurance companies supposedly won't pay for visits with Doc's who haven't finished residency. I am a U.S. Grad, pgy2, state license, DEA license. Has anyone else run in to this obstacle to moonlighting?

Members don't see this ad.

Something our program in Indiana has run into seems to be moonlighting obstacles because in convenient care the insurance companies supposedly won't pay for visits with Doc's who haven't finished residency. I am a U.S. Grad, pgy2, state license, DEA license. Has anyone else run in to this obstacle to moonlighting?
Not personally, but not a surprise. Many insurance plans will not credential you if you are not board certified.

See five, ten, fifteen years ago as a second year resident you could start moonlighting and your were just fine. Urgent care and low level type clinic work or even some rural ERs allowed it. Fast forward and now you need board certification because some insurance company exec who knows nothing about medicine said so.

Moonlighting helps you get exposure and training that is needed to transition into the real world. I can't imagine the human body changing so much that you were ok to moonlight ten years ago as a resident but now it's not OK.

This is why physicians as a group must fight regulations that have no evidence to back them up.

Members don't see this ad :)
A newly graduated NP can work in an urgent care independently in some states but a resident with 18 or 24 months of real-world experience can't. What a world we live in.

Reactions: 1 user
Problem is that we are so bad at "fight(ing) regulations" . . .

What's funny though is that a PA can do 3 years of training and work just fine in an UC. But if you are a second year resident, you have about 5.5 years of experience! Hmmmm....math doesn't seem to make sense.

What's funny though is that a PA can do 3 years of training and work just fine in an UC. But if you are a second year resident, you have about 5.5 years of experience! Hmmmm....math doesn't seem to make sense.

We are bad at fighting regulations because we don't organize well and the groups that were suppose to help us sold us out.

You are right. Your years of experience far out weight the NP or PA. So does your basic medical knowledge. But that's not the issue. The issue is that the PA and NP organizations have their back and support them in their activities to expand their services and practices. The medical organizations just increase regulations under the term quality measures. These so called quality measures don't have any evidence to back their claims. But because these organizations have a ton of money and can afford expensive lobbies they can manipulate the system. They do it because as long as you send them a check or as long as you are forced to send them a check you are making them rich.

We don't have this problem as PGY2s and 3s in my residency. I think it's because they bill under the supervising attending whether we are in urgent care or the ED--just the same as they did when I was a PA. Supervision doesn't mean DIRECT supervision--in other words, the attending just has to be available by phone and able to come in if needed for backup. Think about it: none of the ward and clinic patients you're seeing as a resident are billed to you--they're billed to the attending. Same difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user