moonlighting for amgs/fmgs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docusa85

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some state medical boards do not allow foreign medical graduates to moonlight till they graduate, whereas American medical graduates do not have any such restrictions. This restricts the ability of fmgs to earn a living. Is this legal? Does this come under discrimination?

Members don't see this ad.

Legal? Yes. The state medical boards have the authority to regulate who can practice medicine in the state and under what circumstances. You are earning a living because your residency program is paying you.

Some state medical boards do not allow foreign medical graduates to moonlight till they graduate, whereas American medical graduates do not have any such restrictions. This restricts the ability of fmgs to earn a living. Is this legal? Does this come under discrimination?
its not an issue of moonlighting per se…medical boards decide on the requirements for obtaining a full license…many require FMGs to complete 2-3 years before being eligible for a full license…and you have to have a full license to moonlight independently.

some programs have moonlighting opportunities in house, but if you are on a J-1 (not sure about the H1b) you are not allowed to moonlight regardless of having a full license…so the US gov't is restricting you there.

The longer I typed my response to this post, the more ridiculous scenarios I thought of to how crazy your reasoning is, causing me to edit my post repeatedly. Eventually, I gave up and decided to post this instead. You're welcome.

Reactions: 1 user

The government decides what is legal and the government sets licensing requirements, thus it is legal. Just my reasoning.

Reactions: 1 user