Moonlighting job as a post-doc - What do I need to ask during the interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mk1000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I have a current full time fellowship position, and recently applied for a part-time position at a local private practice for some additional income. I have an interview coming up, and am wondering if you all have some input on questions I need to ask. The posting for the position said they are willing to consider a post-doc, will provide supervision, and that scheduling and billing support are provided as well. I know I need to ask about the cost of supervision, and of course whether the schedule works with my fellowship.

Other ideas for questions that I need to ask? I've never worked in a private practice in any capacity before, and this is so different from the traditional internship/fellowship interview. Thanks so much for your guidance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone!

I have a current full time fellowship position, and recently applied for a part-time position at a local private practice for some additional income. I have an interview coming up, and am wondering if you all have some input on questions I need to ask. The posting for the position said they are willing to consider a post-doc, will provide supervision, and that scheduling and billing support are provided as well. I know I need to ask about the cost of supervision, and of course whether the schedule works with my fellowship.

Other ideas for questions that I need to ask? I've never worked in a private practice in any capacity before, and this is so different from the traditional internship/fellowship interview. Thanks so much for your guidance!
What is the fee structure? Percentage of gross billing or percentage after insurance pays. How long does it take to get paid? What are the referral sources? What types of patients will I be expected to work with and what types of assessments would I be conducting? What is the no-show rate? How are patients in crisis handled? These are just a few off the top of my head.

Reactions: 1 user
Malpractice, what percent split, who handles emergencies when you're gone, employee vs contractor and the potential tax implications, the contract, if the practice is billed as a clinic/llc or if you are an independent person, report turnover time, how conflicts of interest between your internship site and the practice will be approached (Chinese wall preferred, and that's not me being racist, it's the business term for some god forsaken reason), how no shows work, how credentialing will work, etc.

If a contractor and you make a decent amount, you'll need to find a good cpa to determine what you can write off. And I'd recommend the hell out of a SEP.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Malpractice, what percent split, who handles emergencies when you're gone, employee vs contractor and the potential tax implications, the contract, if the practice is billed as a clinic/llc or if you are an independent person, report turnover time, how conflicts of interest between your internship site and the practice will be approached (Chinese wall preferred, and that's not me being racist, it's the business term for some god forsaken reason), how no shows work, how credentialing will work, etc.

If a contractor and you make a decent amount, you'll need to find a good cpa to determine what you can write off. And I'd recommend the hell out of a SEP.
As far as malpractice goes, I have always carried my own with the understanding that I need my own protection and that a companies' malpractice insurance would be willing to throw me right under the bus if that helped the company.

As far as malpractice goes, I have always carried my own with the understanding that I need my own protection and that a companies' malpractice insurance would be willing to throw me right under the bus if that helped the company.

Depends on the insurer, contract, and setting. Small psychology clinic? Damages are gonna be limited by the malpractice coverage, LLC, if you are in a state that allows psychologists to prescribe and/or admit to a hospital, and how good the attorneys are. Large hospital group? They can say your negligent actions violated the employment contract, and that makes you personally liable. If you are wise, you'd get the same brand of malpractice insurance as the hospital in that instance.

Thanks for your replies everyone, if anyone else has further suggestions, keep them coming. My interview is tonight! :)