Moonlighting Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jephyboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear a lot of people on this forum talking about moonlighting. At what point can you moonlight (ie requirements, restrictions)? Also, is moonlighting on specific to Emergency Med or does it include other fields? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on your program and your state when you are allowed to moonlight. For example, in VA you cannot moonlight until after your intern year. But, also my program does not allow moonlighting until 3rd year.

Moonlighting can be had for all specialties, just doing dif. things. For path we can moonlight in the "gross" room at other hospitals. Or, as a medical examiner. And, I am sure there are other things.

Hope this help.

Moonlighting is subject to your residency program (will they allow it?) and your ability to get a medical license in your state (in many, it happens after your intern PGY-1 year).

Many of the spaces for moonlighters are in the ER, though there are urgent care centers and pro/college sports games and public events that need the services of an MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
In PA, you can moonlight after your Intern year. I remember one program in WV, however, that told us moonlighting was permitted in January of the Intern year. Is that possible? That soon? I always wondered about that!

Christy
MD Spouses Support Boards http://pub37.ezboard.com/bmdspouses :cool:

Yes, I think that is possible (but wise? that's another question) because a few states do issue medical licenses to M.D. graduates--without the requirement of a one-year internship.

I believe West Virginia is one of those states.

Thanks mcwmark!

Probably since WV is in dire need of physicians? That's our home state and I remember Wheeling mentioning that! It's one of the highest paid FP in this regional area! We almost went there, but we decided to rank it #2! It's a good program though.

Thanks again! :D

Christy http://pub37.ezboard.com/bmdspouses

Originally posted by im4real:
•Thanks mcwmark!

Probably since WV is in dire need of physicians? area! •

That's because we have the highest malpractice insurance of any state, I think. By the way, what's the average FP make in WV...say, in Huntington?

Hmmm... Firebird, let me check on that and get back to you!

Sincerely,
Christy

Thanks a bunch...I'd appreciate it.

Granting a license to someone that has not passed their boards? I haven't heard of that recently. Back in the 70's and 80's, WV legislature did allow many IMG's to become licensed when they could not pass their boards, as there was such a desperate need for docs. But at the local hospital where I do most of my rotations, the only people that can moonlight there are second year residents, whether MD or DO.

Originally posted by Billie:
•Granting a license to someone that has not passed their boards? I haven't heard of that recently. Back in the 70's and 80's, WV legislature did allow many IMG's to become licensed when they could not pass their boards, as there was such a desperate need for docs. But at the local hospital where I do most of my rotations, the only people that can moonlight there are second year residents, whether MD or DO.•

Apparently, these states allow you to take step 3 without completion of a post-graduate year: (meaning, theoretically, they could get their license quickly...)

California, Connecticut, Florida, Louisiana, Nebraska*, Nevada, New York, South Dakota, Utah*, Washington Osteopathic and West Virginia.

Billie,

Hi there! The residency program I am referring to is in Wheeling Hospital which is a catholic hospital by the way. And yes, they do allow Interns to moonlight the second part of their Intern year. Morgantown (WVU), Charleston (WVU), and Clarksburg residency programs do not allow this; however, Wheeling does. It was a perk for my husband because we are very motivated to payoff as much as we can during the residency years. That's what information I am certain about.

Jephyboy,

In reply to your question about moonlighting in other fields, the answer is 'yes' you can do moonlighting in other fields other than ER Med.

Firebird,
I'm still seeking info about beginning salaries in FP in the Huntington area. We can tell you more about northern WV because that is where we are from, so the info is more readily available; however, I am searching. I haven't forgot your question!

Sincerely,
Christy

Hi Billie!

Where are you doing your rotations at? Are you in residency? Which field? Which hospital? I would love to hear your experiences and plans in the medical career. Are you originally from Logan?

A true West Virginian,
Christy

I'm not sure if I told my wise and savvy colleague Billie, but I recently made twenty dollars during med school. It was near the end of my surgical rotation and they needed a sample transported to the hospital pathology dept from an out patient surgical center. I became courrier boy and made twenty dollars cash. So there are all kinds of opportunities out there if you are just willing to look.

Will

Firebird,

Hey! I didn't want to not tell you what I know (or don't know). I DIDN'T talk to anyone from the Huntington area about FP salaries, but I came across this neat website that may help you find salaries for different parts of the country, as well as different physician specialities. Here's the address:
http://www.salaries.com

For Huntington, WV it said the mean salary for FP's was $126K. It ranged from $116-144K; however, the starting salary I did not see. I think it's around $120K thoughout urban WV.

Christy

Originally posted by im4real:

For Huntington, WV it said the mean salary for FP's was $126K. It ranged from $116-144K; however, the starting salary I did not see. I think it's around $120K thoughout urban WV.

Christy•

Christy,

Urban West Virginia? I've never heard of such!

Thanks for the info. I'll check up on it.

I'm going to be applying to Marshall in June. I'll be applying out of state and a year early...but hopefully I'll get in...we'll see. I want to pretty much just be in Huntington for med school, residency, and practice.

Again, thanks...and good luck with your career in medicine!

Firebird,

I thought you and others would enjoy that!!! :D

Christy