Moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few moonlighting gigs via my residency, but the pay is pretty bad (55-65/hr) and for the amount of work that is required, I'm unsure it's worth it.

However, I received an email from a recruiter in the Midwest. They have hospital medicine options at $170/hr and LTAC options from 105-110/hr. The extremely light LTAC options are 80/hr. They pay malpractice and tail. I am already licensed in that state. They told me the app process does not take long and credentialing will be fine as long as I can intubate and place central lines (which I can).

Only downside is I would have to spend my own money for travel. However, I would be set with a place to crash (on-call room since I'd work weekends) and food is negligible.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have a few moonlighting gigs via my residency, but the pay is pretty bad (55-65/hr) and for the amount of work that is required, I'm unsure it's worth it.

However, I received an email from a recruiter in the Midwest. They have hospital medicine options at $170/hr and LTAC options from 105-110/hr. The extremely light LTAC options are 80/hr. They pay malpractice and tail. I am already licensed in that state. They told me the app process does not take long and credentialing will be fine as long as I can intubate and play central lines (which I can).

Only downside is I would have to spend my own money for travel. However, I would be set with a place to crash (on-call room since I'd work weekends) and food is negligible.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

$55-65, nowadays is being taken advantage of. Residents were making more than that for moonlighting back in the 90s.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I concur, I made $80/hr in urgent care as a resident in 2008. Walk away.

Should I pursue the opportunities in the Midwest even if I have to cover my own transportation? Financially, it appears that I would still win out big and be able to use the transportation expense as a tax deduction.

Should I pursue the opportunities in the Midwest even if I have to cover my own transportation? Financially, it appears that I would still win out big and be able to use the transportation expense as a tax deduction.
Seems fishy to me. Since I have done locums for the last 5 years, I have never paid for my own travel, room, rental car, or malpractice. There should not be any cost to you. Need to find a different company.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems fishy to me. Since I have done locums for the last 5 years, I have never paid for my own travel, room, rental car, or malpractice. There should not be any cost to you. Need to find a different company.

Well, they did mention that if it was locums then they would offer. I don't think I can do locums until I'm BE/BC. However, it is being offered as "Resident Moonlighting" opportunities.

Well, they did mention that if it was locums then they would offer. I don't think I can do locums until I'm BE/BC. However, it is being offered as "Resident Moonlighting" opportunities.
I don't think I would have been confident enough in my knowledge a a resident to go on a travel gig. I just know a lot of places don't treat locums well and I would hate for you to get into a sticky issue still as a resident and get burned.

I don't think I would have been confident enough in my knowledge a a resident to go on a travel gig. I just know a lot of places don't treat locums well and I would hate for you to get into a sticky issue still as a resident and get burned.

True.
I called them up and they did say for at least the hospitalist moonlighting gig, there would be a hospitalist inhouse at all time. They pay $170/hr.

I concur, I made $80/hr in urgent care as a resident in 2008. Walk away.
I did $75/hour at the local state mental hospital. Only worthwhile because in a 24 hour shift I'd do 1-2 admissions and 3-4 floor calls, the other 20-ish hours I watched movies on my tablet or slept since no admissions after 6pm.

Reactions: 1 users
So, they want references (3).
I'm wondering if I'd have a hard time getting faculty on board. I'll talk to one and see. Since the company pays for malpractice and tail I would imagine the faculty should be cool with it?

What state is that in? 55-65$ does sound a bit in the low side. Typically for a non BC/BE MD I would aim for 80-100/hr depending on the clinical scenario, but I don't know how Arkansas compares to your state.

How does one go about finding moonlighting opportunities? I'm at a program that does not currently have in-house opportunities, and aren't used to having residents in the immediate vicinity doing moonlighting work.