Moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moon

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to ask if any MSIII or MSIV at WesternU is moonlighting while doing your rotation? With the rotation blocks, you have to go to different facilities so it's kind of hard to do moonlighting for a few weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

How does a medical student moonlight? I thought you had to have to a medical license to do that.

Is this a joke???
Medical students moonlighting in hospitals????
Maybe as a cafeteria worker or janitor...
Most (I think all) schools will prevent you from working during the entire four years of medical school unless the job is approved by the deans office...and certainly you will not be able to work as a health care professional during your third or fourth year of med school (you wont even be able to moonlight during your internship)...

Members don't see this ad :)
Moon wants to moonlighting? What a joke!

This is not a joke, this is a question. If you don't like it or have no idea, then ignore it. I don't know much about the topic and that's why i asked. Thanks RBorhani.

Obviously you did not even bother to find out what is "moonlighting" before posting that question.

Dragonking, I'm embarrassed for my lack of research and information about the topic. I appreciate it if you don't mind sharing with me what you know about it. Thanks

Moon, moonlighting is what happens when residents and fellows decide to work extra ER shifts apart from their normal duties in order to supplement their income. In most, if not all, the states, only residents are allowed to moonlight and in some states, only after they have completed at least their internship. This is also subject to rules that each individual hospital makes for its residents and fellows as well. Medical students cannot moonlight to make extra money. We would neither have the experience nor licensure prerequisites to moonlight. At the most, med students may be able to work in a lab to make some money.

Thanks Ponyboy, your reply is simple and easy to understand. Moon, you need to get your degree first (MD or DO) before you can participate in any moonlighting. I hope you don't get offended.