Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Moonlighting

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Moon, Oct 13, 1999.

1. Moon

Moon Member

I'd like to ask if any MSIII or MSIV at WesternU is moonlighting while doing your rotation? With the rotation blocks, you have to go to different facilities so it's kind of hard to do moonlighting for a few weeks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tonem

tonem Senior Member

How does a medical student moonlight? I thought you had to have to a medical license to do that.

4. RBorhani

RBorhani Emergency Physician

Is this a joke???
    Medical students moonlighting in hospitals????
    Maybe as a cafeteria worker or janitor...
    Most (I think all) schools will prevent you from working during the entire four years of medical school unless the job is approved by the deans office...and certainly you will not be able to work as a health care professional during your third or fourth year of med school (you wont even be able to moonlight during your internship)...

5. dragonking

dragonking Member

Moon wants to moonlighting? What a joke!

6. Moon

Moon Member

This is not a joke, this is a question. If you don't like it or have no idea, then ignore it. I don't know much about the topic and that's why i asked. Thanks RBorhani.

7. dragonking

dragonking Member

Obviously you did not even bother to find out what is "moonlighting" before posting that question.

8. Moon

Moon Member

Dragonking, I'm embarrassed for my lack of research and information about the topic. I appreciate it if you don't mind sharing with me what you know about it. Thanks

9. Ponyboy

Ponyboy Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Moon, moonlighting is what happens when residents and fellows decide to work extra ER shifts apart from their normal duties in order to supplement their income. In most, if not all, the states, only residents are allowed to moonlight and in some states, only after they have completed at least their internship. This is also subject to rules that each individual hospital makes for its residents and fellows as well. Medical students cannot moonlight to make extra money. We would neither have the experience nor licensure prerequisites to moonlight. At the most, med students may be able to work in a lab to make some money.

10. dragonking

dragonking Member

Thanks Ponyboy, your reply is simple and easy to understand. Moon, you need to get your degree first (MD or DO) before you can participate in any moonlighting. I hope you don't get offended.