Moore's Anatomy, does edition matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orionMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a big moore, published in 2004. I'm not sure if my med school uses Moore and am not going to bother finding out till orientation. Question is, if they do use Moore for gross anatomy, will it be a big deal having the 2004 ed. instead of the 2005? I know with undergrad texts, using a fairly recent, but older edition usually isn't a problem.

Members don't see this ad.

The pages will be wrong in your syllabus, but we aren't evolving fast enough for the information to be out of date. :)

Miami_med said:
but we aren't evolving fast enough for the information to be out of date. :)

I don't know about that -- have you seen the humans that were around before 2004? It's amazing how far we've come. Of course it's a regional thing -- in some parts of the country I've heard people still have 4 limbs. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
IT is going to be really hard to read big moore once you start med school. Most of us didn't have the time and used mini-moore instead.

Don't worry about the edition, Anatomy doesn't change. My ass is still where I left it this morn....WHAT!?!?! OH MY GOD GET THE LATEST EDITION!! I NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON DOWN THERE!!!

[/tired smartass]

I was simply asking about changes in the way information is presented, page numbers, etc. I had heard that the latest edition incorporated more tables and figures to streamline info. No need to get fiesty :laugh:

FaytlND said:
I personally thought the book sucked. But thats just me.

Couldn't agree moore. (HA HA HA! I slay me!) No really, I hated the book. I tried to use it and found that I just didn't have the time to read the class notes, memorize Netter's plates and visit the lab...let alone read that huge, boring book. It really didn't help out on tests according to classmates. Thank God a second year gave me the book or I would have been pissed that I paid for it. From the looks it, the second year used it as much as I did.

You only really need to read the blue boxes from Moore's so edition won't matter. I read the entire baby Moore (Essentials of Clinical Anatomy) which I highly recomend if you like reading text books. All the essentials none of the fluf.

Alexander Pink said:
You only really need to read the blue boxes from Moore's so edition won't matter. I read the entire baby Moore (Essentials of Clinical Anatomy) which I highly recomend if you like reading text books. All the essentials none of the fluf.

what?!! are you serious? I have my friend's book in front of me right now, and the blue boxes are just the clinical correlations stuff...I guess if you can absorb all the antomical stuff just by being in lab then OK, but some of us still need to read an actual textbook! I have not checked out Baby Moore (not in med school yet) but I would probably be annoyed/confused if the text was too concise...

oompa loompa said:
what?!! are you serious? I have my friend's book in front of me right now, and the blue boxes are just the clinical correlations stuff...I guess if you can absorb all the antomical stuff just by being in lab then OK, but some of us still need to read an actual textbook! I have not checked out Baby Moore (not in med school yet) but I would probably be annoyed/confused if the text was too concise...

It's not really necessary to read Anatomy. Seriously. You can't beat looking at the real thing. After all, that is what you are being tested on. All I do is read the blue boxes also. And luckily, one of the upper classmen typed it up one year, so I don't even own an anatomy text book.

I agree. I never read for anatomy. I did probably 75% of my learning via being in lab with an open Netter's and tracing/finding everything. Then I would sit down and redraw. I would then use class notes as a supplement. Different styles of learning I guess.