Moore's anatomy: too much stuff?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qweewq11

Smiley orgy organizer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
So I have the big Moore's anatomy. There is a seriously large amount of info in there, and I am not convinced that it is all worth knowing (given that I have a finite amount of time). I'm thinking about selling it and buying little Moore's or a review text. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

ForceField

Impervious
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The blue boxes in Moore are good, but yes it is a lot of material. A lot of people read Chung and then just follow a Netter while reading it.

jed2023

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Even though Anatomy is heavily emphasized at my school during the first year (it runs for almost the entire year), I don't know a single person in my class that read Moore in its entirety. It's nice to be able to consult as a reference book but too unwieldy to really sit down and use for learning day after day. The only times I used it were when other books were too superficial or I was really interested in a particular region. Other than that it wasn't used much.

Anatomy is largely about memorization so I think it's better to get a less comprehensive book but to review it more times so that it "sinks in" better. The smaller version of Moore (Essential Clinical Anatomy) is reasonably good for this purpose. HY Anatomy which most 2nd years use for boards is also a great source, even though it probably won't have all the details you'll need for your course.

JMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I liked Moore's alot. I didn't come any where near covering the whole thing, but it is good reference when you need clarification. Also, we were tested on quite a bit of clinical application stuff, which Moore's is excellent for.

I often used class notes/Moore's and Rohen (w/ the real pictures).

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Moore's is good, but no one is expected to read it in it's entirety...except maybe anatomy students. The blue boxes are great, so really focus on those (over here there's more of a clinical focus so the blue boxes are really important). Otherwise, look to Last's anatomy or one of the others for a more concise but drier option. A GREAT tool in pictorial imaging and learning vasculature/innervation is Instant Anatomy.

Watch out for inaccuracies in Moore - sometimes there are just things in there that don't make sense, and they haven't come out with another edition yet correcting them, especially for pictures.

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Moore is a piece of crap. The fact is that a Netter and a cadaver are all you really need.