moral dilemma essay topics??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

not a dvr user

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm having some trouble picking what to write about for moral dilemma secondaries. Here's what I'm between:

1. whether or not to transfer from a mid-tier to an ivy, thereby throwing away a fat scholarship but with the potential of a better education (I ended up transferring and it turned out well but in retrospect it could've gone either way)

2. whether or not to switch research labs away from a professor that wrote me a bunch of recs, but to a lab where I'd actually be able to do something besides being a lab monkey (I ended up switching and it was a good call)

or, 3. My parents moved away from the town I went to HS when I went to college. Summers and breaks home, I would visit and chill, but my HS friends were on a trajectory of doing more and more drugs. I smoked weed in HS, but not to the extreme that they were going. They were experimenting with hard stuff too. It culminated in my best friend getting $800 stolen from him on a bad deal. the dilemma was, do I say anything to them or not. However, I'm a little iffy on writing a med school essay about how I used to do mad recreational drugs, but in terms of moral dilemmas, it's the one that I had the biggest dilemma over.

Opinions? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know that the first to really involve a conflict of morals. They are dilemmas for sure but not really moral ones at least from what you said.

I think if you can write well and handle the topic carefully, the third one might be a good essay. If I were you I'd leave out how much drugs you've done. I'd focus on the fact that friends who had been involved in drugs were spiralling out of control. There's a fine line to tread if you write the 3rd essay

So I'm having some trouble picking what to write about for moral dilemma secondaries. Here's what I'm between:

1. whether or not to transfer from a mid-tier to an ivy, thereby throwing away a fat scholarship but with the potential of a better education (I ended up transferring and it turned out well but in retrospect it could've gone either way)

2. whether or not to switch research labs away from a professor that wrote me a bunch of recs, but to a lab where I'd actually be able to do something besides being a lab monkey (I ended up switching and it was a good call)

or, 3. My parents moved away from the town I went to HS when I went to college. Summers and breaks home, I would visit and chill, but my HS friends were on a trajectory of doing more and more drugs. I smoked weed in HS, but not to the extreme that they were going. They were experimenting with hard stuff too. It culminated in my best friend getting $800 stolen from him on a bad deal. the dilemma was, do I say anything to them or not. However, I'm a little iffy on writing a med school essay about how I used to do mad recreational drugs, but in terms of moral dilemmas, it's the one that I had the biggest dilemma over.

Opinions? :rolleyes:

Top two don't seem to be moral dilemmas and I wouldn't write about a third.

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree- your first 2 are not moral dilemmas. The third could be if you walk a very tight rope like red said. Leave your drug use out of it... maybe your friend confided in you that he is doing drugs and the dilemma is whether you maintain his confidentiality or get him the help he obviously needs. Struggling to tell him that he overpaid for his drugs is not a moral dilemma...

If you write about the first one, you'll probably be perceived as a tool.

As others said, the only one that's really a moral "dilemma" is the last one, but that's not really a dilemma. It's not like you were unsure of whether you wanted to do drugs or not. You WERE doing drugs.

Strike three, you're out.

he didn't overpay. the money was stolen. he met a a guy outside who said, give me the money, I'll go in the house and get the weed, so he did, and the guys goes in the house and never comes out and he's sitting there for 4 hrs on the side of the road wondering whether or not he should call the cops as an anonymous tip.

at jesusface, read it again. the dilemma is not to do drugs or not. the dilemma is whether I step in and intervene in my friend's life that's getting out of control.

I faced a similar situation as your first 'moral dilemma'. I ended up not transferring because I didn't want to give up the friendships that I had established. I based my decision off of having transferred schools during high school, which ended up being a bad experience. If you can somehow argue that a better education was essential to your future due to some prior experience, then the first dilemma may be decent.

he didn't overpay. the money was stolen. he met a a guy outside who said, give me the money, I'll go in the house and get the weed, so he did, and the guys goes in the house and never comes out and he's sitting there for 4 hrs on the side of the road wondering whether or not he should call the cops as an anonymous tip.

There's still no moral dilemma in telling him that his money was stolen. After 4 hours he probably figured as much himself

There's a dilemma for your *friend* but not for *you* in this instance as you describe it.

at jesusface, read it again. the dilemma is not to do drugs or not. the dilemma is whether I step in and intervene in my friend's life that's getting out of control.
You didn't convey this before. This can be a good moral dilemma essay if you set the situation up right

Last edited:
:thumbup: With all the above. I'd ask what part of 'moral dilemma' isn't understood, but it's clearly the word 'moral'.

Maybe think about situations where you could have but didn't commit to any academic misconduct or grey-area professional (or possibly extracurricular, though that's kind of trite) situations... those seem like fertile ground for some essay writers.

this.

:thumbup: With all the above. I'd ask what part of 'moral dilemma' isn't understood, but it's clearly the word 'moral'.

Maybe think about situations where you could have but didn't commit to any academic misconduct or grey-area professional (or possibly extracurricular, though that's kind of trite) situations... those seem like fertile ground for some essay writers.

:thumbup::thumbup: