Moral Dilemma ~ Smoking in the Car

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CubaLibre

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize to the SDN veterans who are probably fed up with this question. Pitt/Chicago asks for moral/ethical dilemma. I don't know if I should go with something simple like accidentally grabbing 2 bags at a take-out restaurant while I had only paid for one. This happened to me last week and I went back to return it. Seems dumb.

or do I go with something heavy?

I have a few friends I have known since childhood. When we all got our drivers license, one of their favorite activities was to pack everyone in a car and go for a ride while smoking marijuana. I knew this was wrong, and so I never joined them. For a while things were alright. No one tried to pressure me into doing anything, but it did start to strain our relationship. If I wasn't participating, I wasn't in the wrong, I thought. I started feeling guilty though. By staying out of their car, was I just worried about covering my own a$$? Ignoring the fact that I knew a group of impaired teenagers was on the road was surely immoral. What should I do though? Report my own friends to the cops? I thought about it. I would have been upset if they hurt anyone else knowing that I should have prevented it. I tried to convince them to quit it and I eventually told one of my friend's father who was a cop. He was more heavy-handed in his approach and was able to stomp it out. So I learned if you can't solve a problem, you still have to do something about it and seek help from someone who can. What do you think??? Maybe I should avoid the drug issue altogether.

Members don't see this ad.

I apologize to the SDN veterans who are probably fed up with this question. Pitt/Chicago asks for moral/ethical dilemma.
No needs for apologies.

I don't know if I should go with something simple like accidentally grabbing 2 bags at a take-out restaurant while I had only paid for one. This happened to me last week and I went back to return it. Seems dumb.
This is not a moral or ethical dilemna. At best, it was a mistake on your part. If you had to steal the bags so you can feed a classroom full of hungry students, then write about that.
Be careful what you call moral or ethical dilemna. In most cases, you should show that you struggled between what seems like two extreme solutions with each one posing its own challenges to either your established beliefs or your sense of right and wrong.

The concerns of the adcoms is not really the details of the dilemna (or how heavy or light it is), but rather how it affected you and what steps you took in resolving the dilemna. In short, adcoms will be looking for your response to the dilemna to finds hints of maturity to verify that if confronted with a similar situation if/when you become a physician, you will have the moral and mental capacity to arrive at a reasonable and favorable resolution. [Edit: Okay, that wasn't really short]

I have a few friends I have known since childhood. When we all got our drivers license, one of their favorite activities was to pack everyone in a car and go for a ride while smoking marijuana. I knew this was wrong, and so I never joined them. For a while things were alright. No one tried to pressure me into doing anything, but it did start to strain our relationship. If I wasn't participating, I wasn't in the wrong, I thought. I started feeling guilty though. By staying out of their car, was I just worried about covering my own a$$? Ignoring the fact that I knew a group of impaired teenagers was on the road was surely immoral. What should I do though? Report my own friends to the cops? I thought about it. I would have been upset if they hurt anyone else knowing that I should have prevented it. I tried to convince them to quit it and I eventually told one of my friend's father who was a cop. He was more heavy-handed in his approach and was able to stomp it out. So I learned if you can't solve a problem, you still have to do something about it and seek help from someone who can. What do you think??? Maybe I should avoid the drug issue altogether.
This sounds like a good choice for a essay. Work diligent to hammer out your thought process and the grief it caused you before you finally confronted the problem and reported your friends. I would also (for effect) mention how close these friends are to you, and how, though it pains you to report them, you knew it had to be done.

Good Luck

I would avoid the drug question all together. It might not reflect best on you to mention you have friends that do such things because it wouldn't be much of a stretch for the adcom's to assume that you smoked pot and just left that part out. The take-out thing seems a little mundane and trivial, but if it has to be something that personally happened to you, you may be stuck.

If you can make one up though, it seems like a good idea to do one about catching a friend/co-worker doing something sketchy then having to decide whether to turn him/her in or just talk to them. That's something that could easily come up in your future career as a doctor since some docs can be a little free-wheelin ethically. Just my $0.02.

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize to the SDN veterans who are probably fed up with this question. Pitt/Chicago asks for moral/ethical dilemma. I don't know if I should go with something simple like accidentally grabbing 2 bags at a take-out restaurant while I had only paid for one. This happened to me last week and I went back to return it. Seems dumb.

The dope "dilemma" is bullsh#t - you sound like a rat fink weasel, not someone who confronted a moral/ethical dilemma...so what was your epiphany - in the future "to always rat out others who violate the law?"...

The intent of the essay is to discuss an ethical dilemma "you" faced...nice try, grasshopper, but the dope story won't sell...

I would avoid the drug question all together. It might not reflect best on you to mention you have friends that do such things because it wouldn't be much of a stretch for the adcom's to assume that you smoked pot and just left that part out. The take-out thing seems a little mundane and trivial, but if it has to be something that personally happened to you, you may be stuck.

If you can make one up though, it seems like a good idea to do one about catching a friend/co-worker doing something sketchy then having to decide whether to turn him/her in or just talk to them. That's something that could easily come up in your future career as a doctor since some docs can be a little free-wheelin ethically. Just my $0.02.

Now THAT is an ethical dilemma to write about...sheesh.

Now THAT is an ethical dilemma to write about...sheesh.

Hey now, the OP didn't specify if it was a moral dilemma they have faced (meant to see how they personally gained from the experience) or one that they could face (meant to see if they've considered some of the ethical problems that can arise from a career in medicine). I'm not applying to Pitt or Chicago, so I haven't seen these secondaries. I just go on what is given.

The dope "dilemma" is bullsh#t - you sound like a rat fink weasel, not someone who confronted a moral/ethical dilemma...so what was your epiphany - in the future "to always rat out others who violate the law?"...

The intent of the essay is to discuss an ethical dilemma "you" faced...nice try, grasshopper, but the dope story won't sell...

I venture to disagree with you there. The moral dilemna lies in the decision on whether to either report on his friends, possibly getting them in trouble or let things slide, and hoping they don't cause harm to themselves or others.

A rat fink weasel is apparently is your definition of someone who sees a self-destructive habit exercised by his friends and chooses to tell a authoritive figure so said destructive habit can be hindered. What makes you believe that his conclusion is "to always rat out others who violate the law". Could it be that he realizes that "helping other no matter no badly the reject the help" or even "believe in his conviction of right and wrong, no matter the consequences" are also plausible alternatives.

His story is valid and works as a example as how he faced a moral/ethical dilemna, but like I stated last time, the story is not what mattered, it is how 'you' approach the dilemna and the thought process that lead to the ultimate decision that mattered. Even the final decision (unless it's grossly irresponsible) does not really matter.

Yeah, I don't know about this story OP. My problem with it is when you tell the dad (like someone else said). The two problems I have with it are: 1) you didn't tell them you would go to an authority figure unless they stopped, and 2) you choose someone's dad (good choice) who was a cop (maybe a bit harsh). Right now you are painting yourself like someone who might go too hastily to people in the highest levels of authority at a minor incident. It also seems like your choices, almost intentionally, were to punish your friends rather than to stop them for smoking and driving, i.e. constructively correct their behavior. While their behavior was reprehensible and certainly illegal, your actions likely sabotaged all of these friendships as well and were destructive.

Now, if you did indeed warn them that you were going to tell the cop dad, and they still smoked and drove, my opinion would shift. Ya get my drift?

You can pose that dilemma if you wish, but for heavens sake, choose the option of NOT REPORTING THEM when you reach your final decision.

Kids/teens/adults etc tell doctors on a regular basis about illegal activities - dope is small small fry. For a doctor, and a nosey friend, this sort of stuff is their business. A responsible citizen or doctor may try and encourage their friends and patients down the cleaner road, but I not for one second would phoning the cops ever cross my mind.

A far more genuine dilemma would lie in a situation where you think maybe you should report it to the police, for instance your friends were thinking about bashing someone.

As a few others have said, dobbing friends in for smoking weed just makes one look like a taddle tale.

It is complicated by the car though. That, in my mind, ups it to be comparable to drunk driving (if the driver was partaking). It they were just smoking in the alley, than I would totally agree with you nicko18.

You know, I think it's pretty good, and it gets at the classical ethical dilemma that physicians face -- when to report other bad behavior. Also, it sounds like you were pretty young when this happened, so I don't think talking to someone's dad is a bad thing, and you could address how you might have handled it differently now. It's much better and more real than the restaurant bag thing.

You know, I think it's pretty good, and it gets at the classical ethical dilemma that physicians face -- when to report other bad behavior. Also, it sounds like you were pretty young when this happened, so I don't think talking to someone's dad is a bad thing, and you could address how you might have handled it differently now. It's much better and more real than the restaurant bag thing.

If you add the bit about how you would have handled it differently now, than I would give it a :thumbup:

If you add the bit about how you would have handled it differently now, than I would give it a :thumbup:

If he previously had previously approached his friend and attempted to futility to have his friends stop their destructive behavior, his final decision is not only plausible, it's acceptable.

Members don't see this ad :)
If he previously had previously approached his friend and attempted to futility to have his friends stop their destructive behavior, his final decision is not only plausible, it's acceptable.

I think it is acceptable, but he should also tell his friends that he would talk to kid X's father or someone else in a position of authority. I believe that this is the proper escalation of events. Otherwise, one minute he is telling his friends that this is a bad idea and the next the cop dad is laying down the law. Young kids do not have any idea of consequences for their actions (that is why their is a difference between juvenile and adult law). The kids need to grow up. Now, as Dr. Bagel pointed out, the OP was a kid too, which I wasn't really thinking about when I originally responded, so he needs more latitude than I originally gave him.

As an adult, if you see someone exhibiting this type of behavior you should tell them that it is destructive, dangerous, etc. Than you should tell them what you plan to do if they continue. I do think that it is acceptable what he did, especially at a young age, but I don't think that it is ideal.

Just add how you tried to talk to your friends and they didn't listen (which i'm sure you attempted, no matter to vaugely), then out of LOVE for your friends you did this to save their own lives and the life of others that could've been killed in a car accident.

Increase the level of maturity from tattle-tale to "responsible" and you're good.

I agree. You aren't going to sound like someone with good morals ... you are going to sound like a wang who ratted out your buddies instead of talking to them about it. I see too many ways that this story can be used against you ( you smoked too, you are friends with losers ... were/are you one too? What kind of person tells on their friends to one of their parents ... etc etc). Do I think you did a 'bad' thing by telling on them?? Technically ... no ( I personally would have handled it differently), but I just wouldn't go with this.

GREAT example... what I like about it is that it isn't just, "my friends smoke weed." It's .. "my friends smoke weed and drive, with the capability of hurting others."

Not ratting people out... that something people in their teens consider to be "OF THE UTMOST importance" due to peer pressure. The adcoms are mature, older people. Such things aren't of paramount importance to them.

I would argue that it shows a great deal of maturity on the OPs part.

Go for it! :thumbup: You can't go wrong!

thanks for all these great responses.

For those who said they would have handled the situation differently, I am curious to know how that would be? As some posters have recognized, we were all 16 and 17 years old. It was never my intention to just rat out my friends. If they decided to pick up a habit of smoking marijuana in their room, sure I would have advised against it, but I would not have taken it any further than that. They were smoking on the road, driver included. Telling my friend's dad, who I considered to be a level-headed authority figure, was not going to involve an arrest or anything too harsh. My dilemma was that I felt guilty just staying out of the car, protecting my own safety but not that of others. Sure, I would have done a few things differently, but I probably still would have reached out for help now.
Appropriateness of topic?

Use it. It was a dilemma on multiple fronts. It is also a bonus in that there were some lessons you learned from this experience. I would use all of the various comments and points of views you got here to help craft a nice essay. Pot smoking is relatively common and I doubt that any adcom will freak out because you happen to have had friends who smoked.

thanks for all these great responses.

For those who said they would have handled the situation differently, I am curious to know how that would be? As some posters have recognized, we were all 16 and 17 years old. It was never my intention to just rat out my friends. If they decided to pick up a habit of smoking marijuana in their room, sure I would have advised against it, but I would not have taken it any further than that. They were smoking on the road, driver included. Telling my friend's dad, who I considered to be a level-headed authority figure, was not going to involve an arrest or anything too harsh. My dilemma was that I felt guilty just staying out of the car, protecting my own safety but not that of others. Sure, I would have done a few things differently, but I probably still would have reached out for help now.
Appropriateness of topic?

Well, based on this description, it sounds like you handled it an appropriate way. There was the suggestion above by Lshapley where you could have warned them that you were going to involve the cops before involving the cops, which is the only thing I can think of. However, since it seems like you knew that telling this friend's dad wasn't going to result an arrest or charges being pressed, it doesn't seem like much of an issue.

I think it's an interesting story, but flesh out the encounter. Spend more time discussing the predicament, how you felt, and how you came to decide on your ultimate course of action. It is certainly not a 'moral' issue; only an ethical one (which is fine for the question, except you mention that "...a group of impaired teenagers was on the road was surely immoral").

Remember, though, you don't know how an essay about marijuana will be received. You might get the huge pothead on the adcom who still smokes. *shrug* :D I wrote about a person who was dying after a long and painful illness and specifically told me -- in front of his family -- that he did not want to be resuscitated. When he passed, his family told me to begin CPR and "Save him!". He did not have a Do Not Resuscitate order on file anywhere, so I had a bit of a problem.

Hey now, the OP didn't specify if it was a moral dilemma they have faced (meant to see how they personally gained from the experience) or one that they could face (meant to see if they've considered some of the ethical problems that can arise from a career in medicine). I'm not applying to Pitt or Chicago, so I haven't seen these secondaries. I just go on what is given.

Yet, being familiar with these same essay questions and secondaries, I'm goin to tell you it has to be something you faced.

Also, I disagree with people who say that both of those issues aren't moral or ethical dilemmas. both of them are and as someone stated it doesn't matter how heavy or light it is.

if you accidentally took something and struggled with whether you should keep it or go turn around and return it, then it is still a moral or ethical dilemma that you've faced. If you struggled with how you should handle the peer pressure of a rather illegal situation, it is a moral and ethical dilemma. I don't think you'd want it on your hands if they had gotten in an accident or if their parents found out you knew about things and didn't say anything. you'd probably struggle with the ramifications if something happened. So yes that is a moral dilemma.

OP,

Choose which situation that you think you can most comfortably talk about. Both will work for the purposes of the essay.

I think it's an interesting story, but flesh out the encounter. Spend more time discussing the predicament, how you felt, and how you came to decide on your ultimate course of action. It is certainly not a 'moral' issue; only an ethical one (which is fine for the question, except you mention that "...a group of impaired teenagers was on the road was surely immoral").

Remember, though, you don't know how an essay about marijuana will be received. You might get the huge pothead on the adcom who still smokes. *shrug* :D I wrote about a person who was dying after a long and painful illness and specifically told me -- in front of his family -- that he did not want to be resuscitated. When he passed, his family told me to begin CPR and "Save him!". He did not have a Do Not Resuscitate order on file anywhere, so I had a bit of a problem.

Good advice and wow the dilemma you faced has to be the most intriguing thing I've seen come up when it comes to this question. That must have been rather hard. Did you end up resuscitating him or not?

Good advice and wow the dilemma you faced has to be the most intriguing thing I've seen come up when it comes to this question. That must have been rather hard. Did you end up resuscitating him or not?

Morally and ethically, I was pretty torn up. Legally, though, it was a very easy decision. In the absence of a DNR, Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare, or other legally-recognized standing order, we have to resuscitate. And I hated every second of it.

In EMS, we have something informally called a "slow code" where we do CPR and administer drugs, but perhaps not quite as vigorously as we normally would. And perhaps we stop once we're in the ambulance outside the view of the family and onlookers. Sounds bad, but it's most often done in cases where the patient is obviously dead or does not wish to be "saved" and the theatrics are put on mostly for the family's emotional well-being.

I agree. You aren't going to sound like someone with good morals ... you are going to sound like a wang who ratted out your buddies instead of talking to them about it. I see too many ways that this story can be used against you ( you smoked too, you are friends with losers ... were/are you one too? What kind of person tells on their friends to one of their parents ... etc etc). Do I think you did a 'bad' thing by telling on them?? Technically ... no ( I personally would have handled it differently), but I just wouldn't go with this.

It doesn't sound like he's some tattle tale but rather someone who considered the ramifications of what could happen if they were out on the road high on drugs and got in an accident. Also, the other parts of the dilemma besides trying to stay out of peer pressure to committ illegal acts, there is the fact that if he didn't speak and parents later found out he was keeping it from them they might accuse something against him. In this day and age people will go to great lengths to not take responsibility and in a way he was protecting his own interests.

Just add how you tried to talk to your friends and they didn't listen (which i'm sure you attempted, no matter to vaugely), then out of LOVE for your friends you did this to save their own lives and the life of others that could've been killed in a car accident.

Increase the level of maturity from tattle-tale to "responsible" and you're good.

Agreed. good advice. :thumbup::thumbup: