Moral/ethical dilemma essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyepop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I need to write "moral/ethical dilemma" essay for two schools and potentially use the same essay for "difficult or challenging situation" type of question for several other schools. I am wondering what is the purpose of asking these type of questions? Do you have to succeed in making the right choice or overcoming difficulties. Or is it okay if you say you wished you had done something different, or you are not sure if you did the right or wrong thing?? (Come on, this is a dilemma or difficult situation, so I never really knew I did it wrong or right :()
Here are two ideas I had. Both involves my roommates.........:(
1. In my sophomore year I moved into a party house where everybody else in the house are senior theater kids who party about 4 days a week. And they party until 4 a.m. with incredibly loud music. I could have called security when they partied after 12:00 a.m. because it was the rule of my dorm and school. But I am extremely afraid of confrontations and making others unhappy so I always try my best to avoid any conflicts even though I suffered I try to talk to them and it didn't work out. So the dilemma was to call security to stop them or not. In the end I didn't call security (because that's soooo me), suffered through the whole year, and hated myself for not being able to stand up for myself. But before the night when I needed to take an really important exam I put a really cute note with cartoon drawings asking them not to party that night and they actually didn't . So maybe that's my solution.......

2. I don't know how many people know couchsurfing.org. I basically volunteered to host people from different countries for free in exchange of learning about their culture. I have my own guest room and tried the minimize the noise I make, etc. But one of my roommates wanted me to stop it and there was no room for negotiation because she felt unsafe that I was bringing strangers home. My roommate is a extremely nice girl except she is very old fashioned and stubborn. And I could see that she felt unsafe about strangers. In the meantime, I also felt that I am no longer a college student living in dorms and I even have my own guest room. So the no guest policy is really unfair and harsh. Plus I LOVE meeting people from different cultures and this activity is personally very important to me. But again the last thing I want to do is to make my roommate unhappy and I usually put myself in other people's shoes a little too much.:( I am stilling in the process of solving this dilemma actually. But I think in the end I am going to comprise a lot to make my roommates happy, while trying to keep doing what I want to do.

So what do you guys think? I think the first one is a safer bet and well defined "dilemma" whereases the second one is more unique and personal but less of a "ethical dilemma" and a little harder to write about. I would really appreciate your answers.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I need to write "moral/ethical dilemma" essay for two schools and potentially use the same essay for "difficult or challenging situation" type of question for several other schools. I am wondering what is the purpose of asking these type of questions? Do you have to succeed in making the right choice or overcoming difficulties. Or is it okay if you say you wished you had done something different, or you are not sure if you did the right or wrong thing?? (Come on, this is a dilemma or difficult situation, so I never really knew I did it wrong or right :()
Here are two ideas I had. Both involves my roommates.........:(
1. In my sophomore year I moved into a party house where everybody else in the house are senior theater kids who party about 4 days a week. And they party until 4 a.m. with incredibly loud music. I could have called security when they partied after 12:00 a.m. because it was the rule of my dorm and school. But I am extremely afraid of confrontations and making others unhappy so I always try my best to avoid any conflicts even though I suffered I try to talk to them and it didn't work out. So the dilemma was to call security to stop them or not. In the end I didn't call security (because that's soooo me), suffered through the whole year, and hated myself for not being able to stand up for myself. But before the night when I needed to take an really important exam I put a really cute note with cartoon drawings asking them not to party that night and they actually didn't . So maybe that's my solution.......

2. I don't know how many people know couchsurfing.org. I basically volunteered to host people from different countries for free in exchange of learning about their culture. I have my own guest room and tried the minimize the noise I make, etc. But one of my roommates wanted me to stop it and there was no room for negotiation because she felt unsafe that I was bringing strangers home. My roommate is a extremely nice girl except she is very old fashioned and stubborn. And I could see that she felt unsafe about strangers. In the meantime, I also felt that I am no longer a college student living in dorms and I even have my own guest room. So the no guest policy is really unfair and harsh. Plus I LOVE meeting people from different cultures and this activity is personally very important to me. But again the last thing I want to do is to make my roommate unhappy and I usually put myself in other people's shoes a little too much.:( I am stilling in the process of solving this dilemma actually. But I think in the end I am going to comprise a lot to make my roommates happy, while trying to keep doing what I want to do.

So what do you guys think? I think the first one is a safer bet and well defined "dilemma" whereases the second one is more unique and personal but less of a "ethical dilemma" and a little harder to write about. I would really appreciate your answers.

No one knows what schools are looking for. I would write about the one you would be more open to discussing face to face with an interviewer.