morbid obesity on domestic flights

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

militarymd

SDN Angel
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just came back from a quick weekend vacation in Tucson Arizone...went through dallas fortwork....UT...that is some dreary weather you're having.

Anyways....WHY is it that everytime I get in the airplane I ALWAYS have to sit next to some 300 + morbid obese person who has to spill over onto my section of the seat???????

Why do I have to pay the same price as these behemoths who take up MY space on the planes...

I think they should have to pay more for their seat and reimburse me for my seat...seems only fair.

Members don't see this ad.

Just came back from a quick weekend vacation in Tucson Arizone...went through dallas fortwork....UT...that is some dreary weather you're having.

Anyways....WHY is it that everytime I get in the airplane I ALWAYS have to sit next to some 300 + morbid obese person who has to spill over onto my section of the seat???????

Why do I have to pay the same price as these behemoths who take up MY space on the planes...

I think they should have to pay more for their seat and reimburse me for my seat...seems only fair.

two words:

first class

OR

private jet

:thumbup:

I'm with you, Mil. I was on a flight from Detroit to Boston several years ago. I was in the very back row (no reclining seat) between 2 of those big guys. I felt like a watermelon seed being pinched between someone's fingers. I expected to get squeezed out and fly forward about 10 rows at any time. And to make things worse, we pulled away from the gate and sat on the runway 2 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Southwest does. Basically if the armrest can't be lowered, then the below applies to you.

I like the wording in the first sentence of this link. Some PR dude did his thing while still conveying the message.

http://southwest.com/travel_center/cos_guidelines.html

Apparently some people don't understand why not fitting your rotund ass in a standard airplane seat and overflowing on others next to you isn't discrimination and they had to come up with a "Customer of Size Question and Answer" page.

http://southwest.com/travel_center/cos_qa.html

What's really the pits is that Americans now require bariatric ambulances.
http://www.atecambulance.com/ambulance.html

Not to mention that fatties require more plane fuel, which goes into the cost of the flight, so you're paying for their obesity that way too.

Airline fares should be a flat rate up to a certain # of pounds, say, 100 lbs, then pro-rated for every pound on top of that. And they should weigh you on the scales at the check-in counter. :laugh:

Southwest does. Basically if the armrest can't be lowered, then the below applies to you.

I like the wording in the first sentence of this link. Some PR dude did his thing while still conveying the message.

http://southwest.com/travel_center/cos_guidelines.html

Apparently some people don't understand why not fitting your rotund ass in a standard airplane seat and overflowing on others next to you isn't discrimination and they had to come up with a "Customer of Size Question and Answer" page.

http://southwest.com/travel_center/cos_qa.html

What's really the pits is that Americans now require bariatric ambulances.
http://www.atecambulance.com/ambulance.html

I like the diplomatic way they call the obese "customers of size". It's also amusing how many times they repeat that "if you're too fat and spill over, you HAVE to buy another seat!". And no, your fat butt isn't protected in the airplane by the ADA!

They limit both the size and weight of my luggage - why not both the size and weight of people?

My bags don't squish anybody.

I'm all for H.M.S. Smith having to buy two tickets.

Southwest's policy should apply to movie theaters, plays, musicals, etc. Too many times I have had a miserable experience because I had to sacrifice half of my seat to someone sitting next to me. I feel bad for them, but I should not have to suffer for their problem. Maybe we need an act to protect people without "disabilities." For instance, I have seen people on their motorized scooters run over heels and feet of unsuspecting people and not have the common courtesy to even apologize or act like they were sorry. If you want to make a quick run into a Wal Mart, forget it. The fifteen best parking spots have that sign in front of them. I'm all for providing "some" spots, but why so many? In my experience, they are usually unoccupied.
On a similar note, anyone who has worked in a job where several people were smokers knows that the smokers always got several breaks whereas the nonsmokers rarely got any breaks.

Oh oh oh.....I just remembered this disgusting detail....They all seem to fart as soon as the cabin pressure is lowered....:(

Southwest's policy should apply to movie theaters, plays, musicals, etc. Too many times I have had a miserable experience because I had to sacrifice half of my seat to someone sitting next to me. I feel bad for them, but I should not have to suffer for their problem. Maybe we need an act to protect people without "disabilities." For instance, I have seen people on their motorized scooters run over heels and feet of unsuspecting people and not have the common courtesy to even apologize or act like they were sorry. If you want to make a quick run into a Wal Mart, forget it. The fifteen best parking spots have that sign in front of them. I'm all for providing "some" spots, but why so many? In my experience, they are usually unoccupied. On a similar note, anyone who has worked in a job where several people were smokers knows that the smokers always got several breaks whereas the nonsmokers rarely got any breaks.

I've witnessed people parking in the handicapped spots who did not appear to have any physical disabilities. Maybe they were mentally handicapped.

I've witnessed people parking in the handicapped spots who did not appear to have any physical disabilities. Maybe they were mentally handicapped.

They are motivationally handicapped.

Everything needs to be by the pound. Including health insurance and health care costs. These fattys also cost way more to care for. We have to buy special beds, special wheelchairs, special equipment just to accommdate them. Plus, the effort and stress that is required of all the people taking care of them is costly. At least two or more people are required to move these people in the OR. I have to open up a regular spinal kit, and then open up all these extra harpoon needles. Plus, it no doubt takes longer to perform regional techniques, intubate and perform surgery on these tubbies. And the stench of the candida growing in the fat folds makes me sick.

Why do they pay the same price as me but when I check a 51 lb bag I'm stuck holding the bill?

Fuel is fuel, people..

Just for arguments sake does that mean that those who weigh less pay less?
At 140 lbs I could save some bucks!!!:laugh:

Why do they pay the same price as me but when I check a 51 lb bag I'm stuck holding the bill?

Fuel is fuel, people..

This doesn't have anything to do with fuel. The weight limit on bags is for the handlers. You are given a surcharge because the additional weight of your bag requires that the people who move it around have to take extra precautions.

Now, if they were required to move the fat people around, then they would get a surcharge too. That, and the fact that it is not "PC" to point out that some people are disgusting fat f*cks.

-copro

They are motivationally handicapped.

Everything needs to be by the pound. Including health insurance and health care costs. These fattys also cost way more to care for. We have to buy special beds, special wheelchairs, special equipment just to accommdate them. Plus, the effort and stress that is required of all the people taking care of them is costly. At least two or more people are required to move these people in the OR. I have to open up a regular spinal kit, and then open up all these extra harpoon needles. Plus, it no doubt takes longer to perform regional techniques, intubate and perform surgery on these tubbies. And the stench of the candida growing in the fat folds makes me sick.

Don't forget in your cost assessment that we also have to buy special caskets:
http://www.oversizecasket.com/

Although, I guess the cost is usually associated with the deceased/family... so I suppose it doesn't really matter.

We had a patient a long time ago that was housebound. There was a hole cut in the floor for him to roll over and defecate into a kiddie pool in the basement (according to EMS).

Isn't that pretty much why the airlines exist? To "move the fat people around?"

Yeah, but someone (a handler) doesn't have to physically pick them up and move them. If that were the case, then I could see the "per pound" surcharge.

Of course, we're all just having a bit of fun here. If someone were actually to suggest that we implement a "fat surcharge", the ACLU and every other fat-related advocacy group would make such a stink that it would become an overnight firestorm. That's just the reality of our soundbitesque world we live in: people don't want to delve deeply into modern social problems when McNews will suffice.

-copro

Sure! Those nice skinny people makes spinals easy, mask vent easy and surgery easy. And it just takes a couple of people to throw you off the OR bed after surgery.

Dont know who mentioned the bed bound whale that pooped in a hole in his house. But that is so disgusting. So who feeds these piggies? They obviously cant move and get food. Just walk by the house and throw in a couple carrots and a slimfast once a day. They should at least be able to shrink from a whale to a walrus.

Do we have no overweight readers in this forum who's going to give the counterpoint?

If you want to make a quick run into a Wal Mart, forget it. The fifteen best parking spots have that sign in front of them. I'm all for providing "some" spots, but why so many? In my experience, they are usually unoccupied.

Related point: at places where most abled people pay for far-away parking (hospitals, universities, etc) you'll note that the spots that the handicapped people do get are usually FREE - i.e. no meters, no parking permit required. I understand the issue of access but we all should have to pay when we choose to drive.