(More) AMCAS Application Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDgonnabe

your royal travesty
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All! :)

I've got two questions at the moment about the 2002 AMCAS application. Even more may soon follow...

#1) What do they mean by language fluency? In my case I am foreign-born and can understand Turkish pretty well when it is spoken, can read it ok but not easily, and can't speak it too well but enough that I think most people could understand what I'm talking about. Any suggestions on what I should put???

#2) Also, in the post-secondary experiences section, what do they mean by "posters" or "presentations?" I've given plenty of presentations in my science and non-science classes. Do they mean outside of class? This is too vague! :confused:

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I say go with Turkish as another language. It's only going to make you look better and I'm pretty sure they aren't going to have anyone around to check your degree of fluency.

In my opinion, poster/presentation refers to a formal research poster presentation. (ie. presenting your own research.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the replies! I know we're not supposed to be "modest" on these things but the line between advertising yourself and outright lying is, at best, fuzzy sometimes. :( As promised, here are a few other questions. :D

When they talk about "publications" in the post-secondary experiences, do they refer strictly to scientific publications? I've got some poetry that got published and I've been listing it under publications thus far.

Also, what do they mean by "post-secondary" to begin with? I went to a state-wide summer program after 11th grade (a "Governor's School" for those of you who may have been to them) that I think influenced my current thinking greatly. Would it be bad to list it on there as I was still in secondary school at the time? (And I hope this may be helping a few other people out there too!)

I think 'post secondary' strictly refers to the period after your highschool graduation. It includes summer after your graduation.

About the poetry, I am not positive but if you can provide med schools with appropriate citations, you can list them under publications section.