More Applicants or More Applications Per Applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamaica jan sun princess

Future Pediatric Cardio-Oncologist Neurosurgeon
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of discussion regarding the record number of applications many schools received in the 2020-2021 cycle. In my opinion, it takes more than 2 months to create a good application(mid-March shutdown to application season beginning). Could the increase in applications on the school level be largely attributed to applicants knowing they can attend more Zoom interviews than in-person ones in a normal cycle? Perhaps some students haad more free time to write more secondaries due to online classes(I know I did)? I know that once the cycle is over and the AAMC releases the data we'll know for sure, but we can kill time waiting for waitlist movement by speculating.

Members don't see this ad.

It’s not released before the end of the cycle. The AAMC is weird with how they label their cycles. The data labeled “2020-2021” in that table is actually for people who matriculated in 2020 and had their first year of medical school during 2020-2021.
I'm thinking it's actually data for the 2020-2021 cycle because it was published just days after the cycle closed for applicants matriculating in 2021. The number of graduates is blank for 2020-2021, which would make sense because that number wouldn't be known for students graduating in 2021 but would be known for students who graduated in 2020.

By 11/02/2020(the date on the PDF), the number of applicants, medical school seats (matriculants), and total enrollment would be known.

Members don't see this ad :)
Matriculant numbers are not set in stone at most institutions and have a bit of wiggle room. I tried matching the data from table A-1 with class of 2024 profiles but have not found an exact match yet.

Edit: See post below for confirmation that numbers from Table A-1 are from the class of 2024 as ChemEtoMD23 suggested.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
1618871298398.png
1618871332968.png

1618871347091.png

Reactions: 1 user