RozhonDDS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2006
505
0
Syracuse
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Here are some Biology questions.

1) What happens to FAD in the first step of cellular respiration?
a) reduced
b) oxidized
c) nothing happens
d) it is not used

2) What makes the muscles in the heart striated?
a) cell membrane
b)sacroplasmic reticulum
c)overlapping actin and myosin

3) What portion of the brain hormones and respitory levels?
a)medulla
b)hypothalmus
c)thalmus
d)cerebellum
e)cerebrum
 

wlee009

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
47
0
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Answer for #1:A because FAD+ is reduced to FADH2 first in Kreb's cycle and then oxidized in electron transport chain
Answer for #2:I think it's c but i'm not really sure
I don;t understand question #3.... the question looks incomplete. But hormones are produced in hypothalamus and respiration is controlled by medulla
 

DMD to Be

not luffin' this weather.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2006
387
0
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
RozhonDDS said:
Here are some Biology questions.

1) What happens to FAD in the first step of cellular respiration?
a) reduced
b) oxidized
c) nothing happens
d) it is not used

2) What makes the muscles in the heart striated?
a) cell membrane
b)sacroplasmic reticulum
c)overlapping actin and myosin

3) What portion of the brain hormones and respitory levels?
a)medulla
b)hypothalmus
c)thalmus
d)cerebellum
e)cerebrum


1. A
2. C
3. B
90% sure of this.
 

dat_student

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
2,068
0
Weyburn Terrace :-)
Status (Visible)
wlee009 said:
Answer for #1:A because FAD+ is reduced to FADH2 first in Kreb's cycle and then oxidized in electron transport chain

yes, A is the right answer.

wlee009 said:
Answer for #2:I think it's c but i'm not really sure

yes. C is the right answer

wlee009 said:
I don;t understand question #3.... the question looks incomplete. But hormones are produced in hypothalamus and respiration is controlled by medulla

The question is incomplete but you are right:

Functions of the medulla oblongata:
1) controls autonomic functions (such as breathing and heartbeat)
2) relays nerve messages from the brain to the spinal cord
3) Processing of inter-aural time differences for sound localization (olivary nuclei)
4) Function control of sneeze-, cough-, swallow-, suck-reflex, blinking, and of vomiting.

The hypothalamus links the nervous system to the endocrine system by synthesizing and secreting neurohormones, often called releasing hormones...
 
About the Ads

keibee82

Blue_tooth...
10+ Year Member
May 9, 2006
477
2
OC
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Isn't the answer for #1, D? because first step of cellular respiration
is pyruvate decarboxylation which doesn't involve FAD. FAD comes
into play in the Krebs cycle, where it gains electrons and reduced.
 

tuan209

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
50
0
Status (Visible)
RozhonDDS said:
2) What makes the muscles in the heart striated?
a) cell membrane
b)sacroplasmic reticulum
c)overlapping actin and myosin


why is the answer to this C? skeletal and cardiac muscles both have sacomeres, but smooth muscle does not. all 3 have thick and thin filaments, therefore all have actin and myosin.
 

tuan209

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
50
0
Status (Visible)
tuan209 said:
why is the answer to this C? skeletal and cardiac muscles both have sacomeres, but smooth muscle does not. all 3 have thick and thin filaments, therefore all have actin and myosin.


nevermind...i got it..hehe
 

SundevilDMD

Sundevil
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
141
0
Scottsdale, AZ
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
The answer to the first one is definatly nothing because the first step of cellular respiration which does not involve FAD or FADH2. It doesnt exist in the cytoplasm. The kreb cycle is where FADH2 is first made and that i am 100% sure of.
 

SundevilDMD

Sundevil
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
141
0
Scottsdale, AZ
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
The answer to the first one is definatly nothing because the first step of cellular respiration is GLYCOLYSIS which does not involve FAD or FADH2. It doesnt exist in the cytoplasm. The kreb cycle is where FADH2 is first made and that i am 100% sure of.
 

dat_student

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
2,068
0
Weyburn Terrace :-)
Status (Visible)
keibee82 said:
...first step of cellular respiration
is pyruvate decarboxylation....

Cellular respiration doesn't start with pyruvate decarboxylation. It starts with glycolysis. FAD is reduced to FADH2 during the krebs cycle. I guess it depends on what is considered to be the 1st step (e.g. everything before oxidative phosphorylation, or all the reactions that occur outside mitochondria...).

SundevilDMD said:
The answer to the first one is definatly nothing because the first step of cellular respiration is GLYCOLYSIS which does not involve FAD or FADH2. It doesnt exist in the cytoplasm. The kreb cycle is where FADH2 is first made and that i am 100% sure of.

If glycolysis is considered to be the 1st step what makes answer choice d (it is not used) wrong??

RozhonDDS said:
...
1) What happens to FAD in the first step of cellular respiration?
a) reduced
b) oxidized
c) nothing happens
d) it is not used
...
 

keibee82

Blue_tooth...
10+ Year Member
May 9, 2006
477
2
OC
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
dat_student said:
Cellular respiration doesn't start with pyruvate decarboxylation. It starts with glycolysis. FAD is reduced to FADH2 during the krebs cycle. I guess it depends on what is considered to be the 1st step (e.g. everything before oxidative phosphorylation, or all the reactions that occur outside mitochondria...).



If glycolysis is considered to be the 1st step what makes answer choice d (it is not used) wrong??

GLYCOLYSIS and Cellular respirations are two different stages for glucose catabolism. Cellular respiration is an AEROBIC process and therefore first
stage of cellular respiration cannot be glycolysis. Those are two different
pathways. Cellular respiration have three stages. Pyruvate decarboxylation,
Krebs cycle and electron transport chain. FAD comes into play in Krebs
cycle.
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.