• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

More cadaver dissections?

RandomChampion

Dec 3, 2011
  1. Medical Student
    So we're basically finishing up gross anatomy lab this week, meaning no more dissections during medical school curriculum as far as i can tell. It's really hitting me what kind of opportunity I had, and I wish I had more time.

Is gross anatomy lab in medical school the first and last chance physicians get to dissect cadavers? I would like to do it again, or at least spend more time studying cadavers. It just seems to have gone by so quickly in 4 months. My dad had a year and a half of gross anatomy, and my grandparents had 2 years. Does anybody else wish they had longer than a few months?

Are there other opportunities somewhere down the road/elsewhere to dissect or at least study cadavers?

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
    Volunteer Staff
    Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    May 22, 2008
    Deep in the heart of Texas
    1. Attending Physician
      I'm pretty sure some surgical training is done on cadavers. You could also be a pathologist and do autopsies. Beyond that, yeah, I think you're pretty much done with them.

I hated anatomy, so the faster it was done, the better.

hyperchicken

Oct 19, 2012
      1. Medical Student
        see if you can shadow a forensic pathologist (basically, all they do are autopsies). Also my school has third year rotations where you can come back and be a TA for first year anatomy. Additionally my school offers an advanced anatomy elective during third/fouth year where you can dissect a body all by yourself...see if your school has these opportunities.

About the Ads

dsoz

Accepted OHSU C/O 2017
        5+ Year Member
        Apr 8, 2011
        1. Medical Student
          see if you can shadow a forensic pathologist (basically, all they do are autopsies). Also my school has third year rotations where you can come back and be a TA for first year anatomy. Additionally my school offers an advanced anatomy elective during third/fouth year where you can dissect a body all by yourself...see if your school has these opportunities.

I think that those two options would be so cool. I want to see if my school will have those options for me when I get to third year.

dsoz

MedPR

Membership Revoked
          Removed
          Dec 1, 2011
          1. Pre-Podiatry
            A friend of mine tutored the allied health students over the summer after his M1. He basically prosected with the professors (allied health doesn't dissect at all) and then held review sessions and private tutoring sessions.

If your school has PT/OT/nursing programs you might be able to do that.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I'm pretty sure some surgical training is done on cadavers.
            It's pretty uncommon, but I did see one cadaver on the interview trail.

I could have done an M4 anatomy elective, and then you get an entire cadaver to yourself for a month. I think you had to do a report, but it was a fairly easy rotation, from what I gathered. They would come over to the M1s and help a bit too once in a while.

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
            Volunteer Staff
            Lifetime Donor
            10+ Year Member
            Verified Expert
            May 22, 2008
            Deep in the heart of Texas
            1. Attending Physician
              It's pretty uncommon, but I did see one cadaver on the interview trail.

I could have done an M4 anatomy elective, and then you get an entire cadaver to yourself for a month. I think you had to do a report, but it was a fairly easy rotation, from what I gathered. They would come over to the M1s and help a bit too once in a while.

Hm, interesting. I know at one point last year our anatomy lab was "off limits" due to surgical training on unembalmed/unpreserved cadavers. I just assumed that was a fairly common thing.

Hoju

I don't want Fop.
              10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Jun 1, 2008
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                At my school you can take a surgical anatomy 4th year elective where you dissect a cadaver. ENT residents also commonly do head and neck dissection labs on cadavers. I can't speak to other surgical fields.

kexy

10+ Year Member
                Aug 27, 2009
                1. Attending Physician
                  You also might be able to be an unofficial TA for the class in your free time next year. At my school, 4th years interested in surgery are the official TA's, but 2nd years who enjoyed the class come back to hang in the lab after hours and help before practicals.

About the Ads
                  This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.