More competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeTheBallDanny

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is ortho or neurosurgery more competitive to match into? Especially if one has a geographical preference

Members don't see this ad.

you are asking if it would be harder to hit a bullseye if the bullseye was made smaller.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Neurosurgery had 216 positions in 2016 and Orthopedic Surgery had 717 positions.

Source: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2016.pdf

Look at Table 1. They are both largely self-selecting though - you'll notice only 267 US Seniors applied for neurosurg, and 874 US Seniors applied for ortho. You're probably not applying to either unless you have either a) a competitive application OR b) really poor advising.

On the numbers alone I'd say neurosurgery is more competitive due to lesser spots available (the Step 1 difference between the two isn't that significant, with neurosurg at 249 in 2016 an ortho at 247 in 2016. See here: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Allopathic-Seniors-2016.pdf).

Reactions: 1 users
I’d say ortho because, in general, people would rather have time to spend their 1m/year salary.

Reactions: 1 users
I’d say ortho because, in general, people would rather have time to spend their 1m/year salary.
You're probably joking, but there are many orthopedists who make less than 500k/year. For the average orthopedist, it's not as high paying as people put it out to be, especially with the huge time commitment.

They're both very competitive.

Both have 7 figure earners, ahem spine, but it's not at all the norm.

You're probably joking, but there are many orthopedists who make less than 500k/year. For the average orthopedist, it's not as high paying as people put it out to be, especially with the huge time commitment.

I am mostly.

Salaries that high definitely aren’t the norm, but if you really want to make 1-2mil a year in ortho, you definitely can.

I'd argue neurosurgery is more competitive because of the significant (and relatively narrow) research requirements and generally smaller field. NSG is also (generally) associated with more prestigious medical schools of origin.

You're comparing a Ferrari to a Lamborghini, though. They're both really competitive.

These things can vary from year to year...more recently neurosurgery had a bump in average step about 10 points from where it was a few years ago when I was applying to residency, while ortho's average step has remained similar. Ortho has more spots, but is probably overall more desirable. Neurosurgery requires a special amount of crazy to want to do.

Like said above, they're very similar. I don't think any applicant would be considered competitive for one and not the other.

These things can vary from year to year...more recently neurosurgery had a bump in average step about 10 points from where it was a few years ago when I was applying to residency, while ortho's average step has remained similar. Ortho has more spots, but is probably overall more desirable. Neurosurgery requires a special amount of crazy to want to do.

Like said above, they're very similar. I don't think any applicant would be considered competitive for one and not the other.
upload_2018-1-22_21-29-23.png

upload_2018-1-22_21-29-50.png

I think NSG is extremely self selecting , this is kind of apparent with the %matching that occurs on the lower end of the scale between 201-231 vs ortho.

I notice that as well... I wonder why is that.