More critical thinking. Less factual.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amehta91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as many of you already know the mcat is now a lot more critical thinking and analyzing rather than facts and formula use for physics. I need help with the physics conceptual part. I have no clue how to study for it. Any suggestions will help! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So as many of you already know the mcat is now a lot more critical thinking and analyzing rather than facts and formula use for physics. I need help with the physics conceptual part. I have no clue how to study for it. Any suggestions will help! Thanks.

Study physics by doing as many passages as you can, HAT Trick, Understanding relationships in equations rather than just memorizing them, familiarize yourself with relationships between topics....

Don't do any calculations, just conceptualize the situation and decide what the answer should look like.

This is not true. You need the facts and formulae to perform the critical thinking and analysis. It's hardly like you can walk in not knowing the equations and reason your way to the answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is HAT trick???

I think the conceptual and calculations will tie in. You will need to know formulas in order to solve proportion questions.

Don't do any calculations, just conceptualize the situation and decide what the answer should look like.

I prepared like this going into my test, but my PS was loaded with 5 physics passages and 2 gen chems. The Gen Chem was very conceptual and easy. The physics, on the other hand, required lots of conceptualization AND calculations. The passages were also arranged in a sinister way. I mean, the first passage was a simple Gen chem experiment, then the next 5 were all physics. It was possible to get bogged down with thinking and computing and miss the last, easy Gen chem passage. I managed to finish with 5 mins to spare, 5 mins to 7 mins less than I thought I would have remaining.

Prepare for anything, including a calculation-loaded test.

I agree with the OP... it seems like the MCAT is trending this way... which is a good thing in my opinion. Physics isn't all that important for being an MD...