More DO backlash -- think he's right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amoxicillin

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i get a letter from a doc who say an article on me. I told him I wanted to go into Pediatric Cardiology and his was response was "your resume was impressive ---- buuutt..i don't know many D.O.s who have had success trying to get into the surgical subspecialties." NOW....if my resume is impressive -- then what the heck is that...right away im look down upon.

Stuff like this makes me feel like I did make a wrong decisions to go D.O. -- but everyone said -- all that matters is what you do and how you perform -- etc..but apparently not.

Some opinions -- thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

amoxicillin said:
So i get a letter from a doc who say an article on me. I told him I wanted to go into Pediatric Cardiology and his was response was "your resume was impressive ---- buuutt..i don't know many D.O.s who have had success trying to get into the surgical subspecialties." NOW....if my resume is impressive -- then what the heck is that...right away im look down upon.

Stuff like this makes me feel like I did make a wrong decisions to go D.O. -- but everyone said -- all that matters is what you do and how you perform -- etc..but apparently not.

Some opinions -- thanks.

This is one person's biased opinion. Most D.O.'s end up getting into whatever they want to get into.

I'm not sure what you are talking about with the article "on you," however.

This doesnt' contribute much to your plight, but you just made me think of it. As of about three years ago I could probably count on my two hands how many DO's were in my area, Chattanooga, TN. I looked at our county specialty directory yesterday, and man is there a bunch now. New ones include new OB's, FP, Peds, Cardiology, Rheumatology, AI, and several more. Things are growing. If you want to do PedCard, DO IT. Even if it has never been done before, somebody has to be the first. GLUCK

Members don't see this ad :)
i've seen an article or two on amoxicillin.

Well I think he is absolutely correct. Subspecialization is difficult regardless of degree. Cardiology fellowships are very competative and the best are allopathic fellowships, so pediatric cardiology is exceedingly difficult.
So, one must first see if there are any pediatric cardiology fellowships in the AOA realm (doubtful), then you must see where these fellowships in the allopathic world are. Find out where the fellows trained for medical school and residency.
True there are more DO's in specialty professions nationwide, but the truth remains that subspecialty fellowships are just VERY competetive regardless of MD or DO... Most people lose steam prior to subspecialization...residency is enough, fellowship can be a drain.

you can start by telling him that pediatic cardiology is not a surgical subspecialty.

amoxicillin said:

Some opinions -- thanks.

Surgical subspecialty? I dont understand any of your post, that is my opinion.

Why do you take the word of one individual, also? Do what you want, everything will fall into place. But please have a professional write your personal statement.

amoxicillin said:
---- buuutt..i don't know many D.O.s who have had success trying to get into the surgical subspecialties."

If he has a negative view towards DOs, then he probably doesn't know many of them. Period.

I was "in" pretty good with the assistant dean at Ohio State. Once he found out that I wasn't interested in Allopathic schools, he cut off all correspondance. It happens.

I can't quote any stats on how likely you are to get the residency of your dreams, and you may take a zig-zag path to it instead of a straight one, but if there's a will there's a way. You have the ability to be as good if not better than anyone else who wants your dream job.

As long as you believe you do...

NS

amoxicillin said:

Some opinions -- thanks.

Amoxicillin;

First, congrats on a great choice! At one time, I too seriously considered PedCards. However, from your post & the replies - there may be some misunderstanding.

1: PedCards is not a surg subspecialty, it is a Peds subspecialty (Peds CT surg is a surg subspec & extraordinarily competitive). When I was an MS3 / MS4 & researching this - peds residencies were on the rise, competition-wise, but still considered non-competitive - except at certain elite programs. In contrast, the peds subspecs had not seen a commensurate rise in level of comp...don't know if this is still the case.

2: PedCards fellowships are not part of the adult cards supspecs, which are very competitive & undertaken after an adult IM residency. As above, PedCards fellowships are undertaken after a Peds residency.

Now, if you want some info from DO Ped Cards people, simply contact the AOA & they can supply you with a list & contact info of all members who are BE/BC Ped Cards & DOs. When I did this in 2001/2002, there were on the order of 15 to 20, of which I wrote letters to all of them. I rec'd around 10 replies & learned that at that time, there were another dozen or so DO in PedCards fellowship in various places. That means it is do-able & that it appears that more of us are doing it.

So, stop lamenting what others tell you & do the actual research yourself. One of my biggest pet-peaves are the seemingly endless number of DO students who do not try for what they want because they have heard DOs are not welcome there. While it may be true in an exceedingly small number of specialties or programs, by in large - those are simply rumors that continually make the cycle around med schools. Personally, I feel that some DO students fall back on these sorts of rumors to make themselves feel better for not actually having the courage to try...they fear rejection & failure, which is understandable. However, the only way you & every other med students (incl MD & DO) can succeed where they wish to succeed is to give it an earnest try and that does NOT include simply getting "info" from the rumor mill, pissing & moaning & throwing in the towel.

Best of luck & success to you. Give it the old college try. You never know, success may be there simply for the effort. Do not let the naysayers & excusemakers frighten you into giving up on what you want.