"More Doctors Smoke Camels Than Any Other Cigarette"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemdude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haha, I never knew that there was a time when smoking was recommended by doctors. The 50's were so awesome....I love how they have an attractive lady smoking a cigarette in the end.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMzjJjuxQI

Members don't see this ad.

I did not know that Camel meat was popular in the US. I thought turkey and ham were the meats most likely smoked in the US followed by Salmon.:smuggrin:

Haha, I never knew that there was a time when smoking was recommended by doctors. The 50's were so awesome....I love how they have an attractive lady smoking a cigarette in the end.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMzjJjuxQI

not only smoking, but particular brands... if you have access to the American Journal of Public health from your school library, you can read an interesting history here http://www.ajph.org/cgi/content/full/96/2/222 The AMA used to get big money from tobacco... there are classic images all over the web of doctors giving lectures or sitting in their offices smoking, or with tobacco ads all over the place. there's some traveling art exhibit on this as well. check out the NYTimes website - http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/07/b..._r=1&scp=1&sq=physician tobacco photos&st=cse

Members don't see this ad :)
not only smoking, but particular brands... if you have access to the American Journal of Public health from your school library, you can read an interesting history here http://www.ajph.org/cgi/content/full/96/2/222 The AMA used to get big money from tobacco... there are classic images all over the web of doctors giving lectures or sitting in their offices smoking, or with tobacco ads all over the place. there's some traveling art exhibit on this as well. check out the NYTimes website - http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/07/b..._r=1&scp=1&sq=physician tobacco photos&st=cse

:laugh:.."Your Throat Protection against irritation against cough".

I unfortunately have an on-again, off-again history with cigarettes, and I think the Lucky Strike poster is funny as hell.

First of all, Lucky Strikes are no guard against throat irritation. They are pretty much like smoking pure tar, and after smoking them regularly for about six months, I cannot believe I still have a throat left.

And, the AMA is pure bull****. it is a self-interested organization that will take money from anywhere and only started focusing on universal health care when it became readily apparent that it is on the horizon no matter how much money they throw at Ronald Reagan to stop it.

Ahh the 1950s ... honestly a better time.

I've smoked a few cigarettes, dont like the smell :(

Cigars on the other hand...:love:

its all about American Spirits for cigarettes and La Riqueza for cigars (Churchill).

nothing is better than a nice glass of grenache and/or cigaretter/cigar.

I won't be surprised in 50 years when med students are laughing about ads that say stuff like,

"Doctors recommend a healthy diet of anti-oxidant rich foods to increase your health"

point being, imagine how much of the stuff we are advising now could be proven to be so so wrong later.

Camel Wides Menthol for me...Only when I drink though.

Hookah the other nights:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
I won't be surprised in 50 years when med students are laughing about ads that say stuff like,

"Doctors recommend a healthy diet of anti-oxidant rich foods to increase your health"

point being, imagine how much of the stuff we are advising now could be proven to be so so wrong later.
Atleast the antioxidants won't be oxidizing LDL like cigarette smoke which them leads to a scavenging affect by the macrophages which become so engorged with cholesterol they form foam cells and lead to an MI.
;)

Atleast the antioxidants won't be oxidizing LDL like cigarette smoke which them leads to a scavenging affect by the macrophages which become so engorged with cholesterol they form foam cells and lead to an MI.
;)

Who's to say high doses of anti-oxidants won't be preventing proper oxidation of ferrous in body thus resulting in improper heme production which causes you to have a decreased production of cytochrome P450s thus resulting in buildup of toxic substance in the body resulting in multi-system failure?

This is prolly not true, but doesn't mean something else like that can't be true ;)

Last edited:
Who's to say high doses of anti-oxidants won't be preventing proper oxidation of ferrous in body thus resulting in improper heme production which causes you to have a decreased production of cytochrome P450s thus resulting in buildup of toxic substance in the body resulting in multi-system failure?

This is prolly not true, but doesn't mean something else like that can't be true ;)

:laugh:

Are you dead? Do you have a high %age of methemoglobin in your blood? :laugh:

Yeah..very true

I recently heard a doctor talking about how "running everyday could be bad for you".

I hear SDN can be pretty bad for you too. I believe the APA is going to add "SDN Dependence" to the DSM-V.

I hear SDN can be pretty bad for you too. I believe the APA is going to add "SDN Dependence" to the DSM-V.

I attend SDN Anonymous on a regular basis. 7 step process baby, and I'll quit you one day!

Yeah..very true

I recently heard a doctor talking about how "running everyday could be bad for you".

In fifty years we'll probably make fun of us now for using so many things that cause cancer.

"Hey look! That doctor is eating a Twinkie from the vending machine! Doesn't he know that causes bowel cancer? Hahahah!"

Are you dead? Do you have a high %age of methemoglobin in your blood? :laugh:

maybe, but on the bright side I can eat lots of potassium cyanide before I'm dead :)

Everybody knows already that anti-oxidants are a load of b.s.

In fifty years we'll probably make fun of us now for using so many things that cause cancer.

"Hey look! That doctor is eating a Twinkie from the vending machine! Doesn't he know that causes bowel cancer? Hahahah!"

Eating is something we have to do anyway. Smoking is pointless at best, and there were plenty of people who knew it back then. And there were plenty of corrupt doctors back then too who went along with the propaganda.

Why not inject heroin? People did that too. It's just as addictive. The only difference is that the drug delivery system is intravenous and not as 'fun' as the pulmonary route.

It's a completely pointless thing that rightly should be the bane of the medical profession. Medical students who support this industry should be ashamed of themselves. It baffles me why we as a country continue to allow this industry to exist. Of course, we just elected a president who is a smoker, and damn yeah I voted for him because what the **** else are you going to do?

Eating is something we have to do anyway. Smoking is pointless at best, and there were plenty of people who knew it back then. And there were plenty of corrupt doctors back then too who went along with the propaganda.

Why not inject heroin? People did that too. It's just as addictive. The only difference is that the drug delivery system is intravenous and not as 'fun' as the pulmonary route.

It's a completely pointless thing that rightly should be the bane of the medical profession. Medical students who support this industry should be ashamed of themselves. It baffles me why we as a country continue to allow this industry to exist. Of course, we just elected a president who is a smoker, and damn yeah I voted for him because what the **** else are you going to do?

I support the smoking industry. (not by buying their product)

If they went out of business, imagine all the Medical Oncologists, Pulmonologists and Cardiologists that would suffer. I've got a future boat loan to worry about. :cool:

^^^
lol..so you're telling me that deep-inside, doctors wish that more people get sick? Oncologists want people to have cancer:confused:

nah...I'm pretty sure they all think that way deep-inside..what you typed was a slip...you really do think that way, don't you? ;)

Should I have put a [/tongue-in-cheek] bracket to indicate that it was a facetious statement?

I probably still wouldn't have gotten it. :(

EDIT:
Oh wait, I forgot. Let me try again:

[tongue-in-cheek]I probabaly still wouldn't have gotten it. :([/tongue]

I currently work in the hematology and iron metabolism field (and I'm a huge nerd :laugh:), so just cannot help but interject here. (Don't worry, I still realize you were being mostly facietious, but hey, I get excited about my research! :p)

Oxidation of newly exported ferrous iron (Fe2+) is handled almost exclusively by two specific ferroxidase proteins. The body specifically ensures this via protein oxidases because only ferric iron (Fe3+) can be efficiently bound to plasma transferrin (the major iron carrier), but in order to be transported to the plasma, iron must be in the Fe2+ form.

Iron (Fe2+) exported to the plasma originating from duodenal enterocytes is oxidized to Fe3+ by a membrane bound protein "Haphaestin". Haphaestin associates with ferroportin (the only known iron exporter) on the enterocyte surface and ensures that exported Fe2+ is almost immediately oxidized to Fe3+. In fact, without Haphaestin, ferroportin will not export iron at all.

In reticuloendothelial macrophages that recycle iron from senescent red blood cells, there is a ferroxidase called "Ceruloplasmin" that has the exact same job as Haphaestin in enterocytes. Ceruloplasmin is actually a plasma ferroxidase that associates with membrane ferroportin. So the net effect is the same. Fe2+ is almost immediately converted to Fe3+ and then bound to plasma transferrin.

/end dork rant.

Should I have put a [/tongue-in-cheek] bracket to indicate that it was a facetious statement?

Nope, it was pretty clear that it was a stupid thing to say.