More GMO questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teufelhunden

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm starting internship at Portsmouth in a few months, so this question of which GMO tour to pick has been surfacing a lot.

I'm a former Marine (1989-1995) and so it goes without saying that I would love to do a GMO tour with the Corps. However, my wife is vehemently opposed to that (something to do with not wanting me to come home in a wooden box). Chances are, a USMC billet = Iraq, right? If I could convince her of otherwise she'd probably support my decision, however, from what I've heard a tour with the Marines is a veritable guaranteed ticket to Iraq.

So, my (probably irrational) thinking is, if I can't do what I want, then I just want to chill for a few years. Like many non-trads, I worked full-time through college - med school wasn't exactly easy - and I'm pretty certain internship isn't going to be a walk in the park. So, my wife and I are thinking: Maybe it's time for a break!

Although the lifestyle of FS sounds wonderful, I'm not exactly all that interested in flying. Most of the folks I've me who are planning on doing FS are all jazzed up about flight school, etc. Personally, I could take it or leave it. (And I'll admit here that I'm deathly afraid of the prospect of having to do that helo-dunk thing - something about compounding my claustrophobia with the absence of air/fear of drowning).

For reasons I've just described, I've pretty much ruled out the DMO option.

So, that leaves me with ship billets and branch clinic doc-in-a-box tours, right? (Or am I forgetting another option?)

My wife was a Corpsman for 11.5 years, and spent a majority of her time working in clinics side-by-side with GMOs. In her last tour at BMC Mayport, we had a few GMO friend/acquaintances, and most of them seemed pretty happy (there were some whiners, but overall most of them admitted that they "had it made.") Now, on SDN I've read some conflicting info on these clinic billets. I've read more than a handful times that these billets were awful and to be avoided at all costs. Navy Dive Doc stated on a previos thread:

"Those who received clinic billets as first GMO tours were, quite honestly, people who needed to be supervised so they wouldn't kill anyone. I think that is why those billets are never advertised widely, because the internship directors save them for the ****bags. Competence gets rewarded with deployments and independent duty."

This kinda scares me. For starters, does this mean that the majority of my colleagues are going to be ****bags? Also, will the stigma associated with a clinic tour hurt my chances in the Navy match? (or at least, be less impressive than an operational tour?) Also, is it true that the majority of these billets are reserved for females?

And finally, what about the ship-board billets? You don't hear much about them on this forum. An OB resident I spent some time with at Portsmouth really enjoyed his tour on ship (it was a smaller ship, so he was a Dept Head - he said he would have hated being on a bigger ship where he would have been relegated to doc-in-a-box status - he thourougly enjoyed his admin and other non-clinical responsiblities associated w/ being a dept head). Although, his take on things may be skewed as he was a former Line Officer (a have noticed that prior-service folks seem to have more positive outlooks on their GMO experiences). I actually didn't mind ship life. I spent 8 mos 23 days on the USS Gunston Hall during Desert Storm and, believe it or not, look back on in as a good time in my life (unparalleled camaraderie, lots of free time to PT and read). I know it's not as "sexy" as FS or DMO, but its still operational, right? I know deployement schedule probably varies from ship to ship, but what am I looking at? How many months out of the year will I be underway?

Members don't see this ad.

The GMO is rapidly coming to a crossroad. As far as the cushy clinic billets. These are supposed to go away. We have enough operational commitments that putting GMO in shore based billets is not desirable or practicle. The academically challenged GMOs will likely be assigned to units with more than one doc and likely a residency trained senior medical officer. For planning purposes, DO NOT plan to be in a clinic.

If you have claustrophobia issues, I agree, FS and UMO are not for you. You would likely not make it through training and be forced to take any open billet at the time. Choose your fate as best you can rather than have it chosen for you.

Talk with your detailer early and often. Let him know your preferences and cross you fingers. Despite the amount of complaining I like to do about detailers, they really are not trying to screw you.

Go haze-gray. Try for a smaller combat ship; you will get to be a department head, you will be treated as a senior department leader and the skipper and XO will rely on you in the same ways as they rely on the CMC, which is a good thing (most of the time).

Shine up those black shoes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cushy GMO clinics= Fantasy…usually civilianized or given to PA's and NP's.
GMO's in clinics=Tons of military physicals and sick call with an almost certain deployment secondary to independent augmentation.
GMO's in ships: They usually try to fill marine billets first.
Marines: Iraq
FS: Can't speak for them but from what I've heard: some clinics, carriers and Iraq.
DMO: NSSC (sub support), Research facilities (very few) Dive/Spec War units (few), clinics (Iraq), marines (Iraq).

IOW, try to do something that at least you might like since most likely you will end up deployed. There is only one option if you don't like deployments: Pay back, get out…

Cushy GMO clinics= Fantasy…usually civilianized or given to PA’s and NP’s.
GMO’s in clinics=Tons of military physicals and sick call with an almost certain deployment secondary to independent augmentation.
GMO’s in ships: They usually try to fill marine billets first.
Marines: Iraq
FS: Can’t speak for them but from what I’ve heard: some clinics, carriers and Iraq.
DMO: NSSC (sub support), Research facilities (very few) Dive/Spec War units (few), clinics (Iraq), marines (Iraq).

IOW, try to do something that at least you might like since most likely you will end up deployed. There is only one option if you don’t like deployments: Pay back, get out…

You can't pay back and get out without a GMO deployment. So what you meant to say was, "There are no options"

Why not? Are the folks going straight through really going to get BC'd in their specialty, and then farmed out as a GMO for two years?

I was working under the assumption that folks wouldn't go straight through.

I see. I guess that trend hasn't started in Peds yet? Maybe it's more the surgical subspecialties where they're starting this.

About one quarter to one half of peds folks go straight through. It's actually one of the better situations. But the majority of PGY-1's this year will have to do a GMO tour, whether they want to or not.

85% ile on Steps I + II, did simlarly well on step III but don't realy remember exactly. Got my #1 choice in Emed match before pulled back for GMO (long story).

I work in fairly busy primary care clinic. I hate my job, mostly because of the paperwork and the fact that I never, ever, wanted to be a primary care physician. Nevertheless, I consider myself a pretty good physician and I think most of my patients are happy with my care. I tolerate my job here because I get to see my wife and 2 kids every day. I honestly don't think "dirtbags" get funneled anywhere. The Navy can't think in that much detail. Big Navy sees "GMO body" and plugs it into a slot.

As noted above, the GMO in clinics are going away. My billet disappeared 18 months ago but I've stayed because they can't find a civilian MD/DO willing to work here in my place. As a former SWO, I think you would enjoy a shipboard billet. USMC would also be most rewarding but I can understand your reluctance to pursue with family.

was a sub guy, the UMO got underway with us for a week out of my three year tour there. Sub UMO's don't get a lot of underway time that I saw. The docs we carried were IDC's. Same for boomers. Same for SSGN, confirmed that decision a year ago, because it was something I was interested in. I never got clausterphobic on my fast attack, and the boomers where a doc would actually be useful are SPACIOUS (in comparison, three people wide corridors).

My personal belief going down the same road (wife ex-Marine), I want to do a tour on the green side, because they do the cool stuff. You can always do a GMO tour with a carrier battle group, but you won't go to the sandbox, and you won't get to do as much humanitarian stuff. My wife deployed with the 26th MEU back in 03? Whenever the war kicked off. They did training in Albania where the docs did humanitarian stuff, and then Liberia. There was a short part where they supported Mosul, but I don't think many docs went in, cause we pulled forces pretty quick after some political junk. (Shot up a mosque with terrorists hiding out).

I think for you it is a big fat crap shoot, with the dice loaded for the sandbox. At least you will see some really good emergency medicine. I guess you have to repeat that manta over and over. Plus the big door prize, the 150 family seperation pay per month. Just makes it so worth it.

Best of luck, keep posting us and let us know how you draw in the big crap shoot.