More important? Step 1 or 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ice Man

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is more important to the Program Directors? Step 1 or Step 2 (or COMLEX Lvl 1 or 2)? I have always heard step 1, but heard a couple people at my school say step 2. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say Step 1. Although one could argue that Step 2 scores would be better correlated with competence as a physician, the problem lies in the timing of the exams. You see U.S. grads don't usually take Step 2 until mid-late 4th year... by that time appys are already in to most programs. So the only standardized test score PDs have to compare that ALL applicants have (not just IMGs) is Step 1. Plus, Step 1 is generally considered a more difficult exam than Step 2.

STEP 1 far and away is more important than Step 2

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends on how well you do on Step 1. If you get a great score most people suggest taking step 2 late (Nov.ish) so that residency directors will never know your score and you won't hurt yourself by getting a worse score. If you do poorly on Step 1 take Step 2 early (and study your *** off) so that you can redeem yourself. The residency directors I've talked to have told me that a great step 2 score carries more weight than a great step 1 because it is more clinically based.

I think the truth lies somewhere in between and is PD specific. Some PD's put more weight in Step 1, some put more weight in Step 2. Typically and traditionally, Step 1 has been the more important of the two.

As a graduating senior from a US Allopathic school and having recetly gone through the match, all I can say is do everything you can to CRUSH Step I even if that means taking a few days off from class to study. Don't let anyone tell you that a Honors in Pathology is going to make up for a 190 on the Step. Unless you are gunning for AOA and have a realistic shot of Honors, your time is spent far more productively studying for Step I. Step II is easier, and for the most part is seen as a reprieve for those who canned Step I. Many competitive applicants don't bother with Step II until the spring of their senior year if their school doesn't require it before then.

Every test is important to the PD, (although he may not verbalize it to you), but overall Step I has my vote for making a difference between two almost identical candidates for the program.

After re-reading my post, I realized that it was open to misinterpretation. What I meant to say was that Step 2 is only important if you don't do well on Step 1. If you do poorly on Step 1 and crush Step 2, residency directors will be able to rationalize that the great Step 2 score means you have solid clinical acumen and the poor showing on Step 1 was a fluke. Of course, it is always better to get it right the first time as subsequent posters pointed out.