More info before i go to TEMPLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dandeez

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, im going to be attending temple in the fall and i have a few questions. First off i kinda wanted some info on whether it would be better to live in center city or manayuk and keep in mind that i want to have fun as well as proceed with with dental career? (I wont have a car, strictly traveling by train and foot). Also, i just finished filing my fafsa and was wondering what is the next step as far as scholarships and financial aid? Any answers to these questions would be more than helpful.. Thanks alot :D

Members don't see this ad.

Both Manayunk and Center City are good places to live. Probably more to do in center city though. And if your taking public trans then center city would probably be easier to navigate. There are a lot of students who live in Manayunk so you might be able to work out some transportation that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
ooo! go on craigslist and get a dumpy, cruddy bike. I'm sure it'll still get jacked anyways but you won't be as heartbroken. Philly is totally bike friendly. Well, the streets are, maybe not so much the people. But if you are without car, a bike is a good way to get to and from supermarkets.

no car = center city

having to rely on someone else for transportation could be the pits, unless you are a team player and can go shopping when your roommate does. There are different things to do in each place. More in CC. To and from school is easier from CC w/out a car. A lot of people in my class live in both areas and both groups like it. I am in roxborough/manayunk, and I carpool. I also have a car and family so the decision was easier. Outside of the main city in a neighborhood.

If I was single i seriously would find a house a block away from the dental school and just walk....for 100K you could buy a place and charge rent for roommates. Thats me though. Welcome to Temple!

no car = center city

having to rely on someone else for transportation could be the pits, unless you are a team player and can go shopping when your roommate does. There are different things to do in each place. More in CC. To and from school is easier from CC w/out a car. A lot of people in my class live in both areas and both groups like it. I am in roxborough/manayunk, and I carpool. I also have a car and family so the decision was easier. Outside of the main city in a neighborhood.

If I was single i seriously would find a house a block away from the dental school and just walk....for 100K you could buy a place and charge rent for roommates. Thats me though. Welcome to Temple!
100k? Try 80k. Not sure you'd get a good return on investment, though...

Definitely go for CC. However, there are many nights when I go to get on the subway that wished I lived behind the school.

Bring a bulletproof jacket as you need one when you're walking at night :D jk
You'll have fun here