more interviews in the spring?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ucbdancn00, Nov 25, 2002.

1. ucbdancn00

ucbdancn00 Senior Member

hey all....

ucb again...

my apps have been in since sept/october to all the schools i've sent 2ndaries into......am I not going to get interviews...or is it likely that more interviews will be held in the spring??

any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AussieNYC

AussieNYC Member

i think it's still early. most of my friends who have very solid scores, grades, and ECs have been interviewing a great deal since september, but i think the candidates who have very good/average stats will be interviewed after january....at least, i hope...hang in there, ucb, you're doing great already. 2 interviews, one acceptance...you're gonna be a doc!!! Dr. UCB. celebrate, enjoy yourself this thanksgiving b/c i know some people who would die for an acceptance to drexel.
    :clap: :clap: :D

4. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!

Attending Physician
    Its still rather early in the game, since its late Nov now. Most schools interview through March/April, so since most schools started interviewing in late August/early Sep. we are not even at the half way point in the interviewing process. But since most schools admit on a rolling basis, early interviews are the best, but by no means does that mean that those who interview in the spring do not have a great chance of getting in. Its a long painful process and the only way to stay sane is to be patient. Good luck!

5. SunnyS81

SunnyS81 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I've noticed a sudden drop off in interview offers since mid-October. In fact, I think the last one I got was the beginning of October. I have a feeling they don't interview much over the holiday season since they know people have finals due, so there will probably be a whole new flood of invites in January (or I suspect).

By the way, I thought they had to send all their acceptances by March or something? Someone mentioned interviews in April, which I found strange.

good luck,

6. SolidGold

Attending Physician
    April interviews aren't strange at all really. Some schools do interview up to then, though March seems to be when most schools end. Last year, I had an interview the last week of May, but it probably had more to do with the AMCAS fiasco.

7. Joe Joe on da Radio

Resident [Any Field]
    spring interviews are *mostly* for waitlist positions.

8. batman123

batman123 Senior Member

My interviewer told me at my March interview last year that I was basically interviewing for a spot on the waitlist. That sort of knocked the wind out of my sails.

9. ramz

ramz Banned
    Banned

remember....schools like harvard and yale dont have rolling admissions. other schools just started interviewing in october!

u still have dec, jan and feb for good chances. march isnt even that bad.

cheers.

10. nkow

nkow bouncin' here and there

Resident [Any Field]
    I hope you guys are right cuz i need those interviews! I've been waitlisted at one school, rejected from one, and am waiting for interviews at 9 more! Plus those 2ndaries been done for well over a month! I have a feeling that December is probably not a good time for interivews now since it is the holiday season, so i'm hoping for january...but yeah about the march thing...that's what I've heard as well...But hey...waitlist is better than rejection, right?

11. SolidGold

Attending Physician
    December is still a very active month for interviews, maybe not the last week between Christmas and New Years, but I would have to think that the first 3 weeks are still quite busy with interviews. I have 2 interviews in the second week of Dec. and my sis has one on the third week, and I know quite a bit of people with interviews around the same time. I guess medical schools need to stay active with interviews in order to interview the amount of people they want to in order to reach any deadline they set for themselves.

12. whatfun

whatfun Member

I think you're right about that. The only exception might be some of the very competitive applicants that need to come from far away for their interviews - those probably occur around this time of year.

In general, the working world slows down a little around the holidays and I can't imagine it being any different for medical school admissions. I think the next cycle of interview requests will probably come starting January. I've had 3 interviews so far with a fourth taking place next week, but all of my notifications for interviews basically came in October. Haven't heard anything for the entire month of November and most of my friends heard about any interviews they got at about the same time (mid-September to end of October.)

Personally, I'm going to forget about my mail and email for the next month. I'm not expecting to hear anything new. If I get something, it will be a surprise.

So, enjoy the holidays and forget about med school for a while (if that's possible.)
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

13. I had 3 out of 7 interviews in the spring when I applied. I was accepted (albeit off the waitlist) to the school I interviewed at in April and the school I interviewed at in January. I was an April MCATer, application complete in January, average stats. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving (just finished an exam block and watching the first snow of the year, very happy..:))

14. athena21

athena21 Senior Member

okay guys,
    i'm happy that schools are interviewing through march--but the thing that worries me is that interview dates are already booked into February at a lot of schools! That means we need interview invites soon to even be considered for an interview--otherwise, all slots will be filled by new years! Maybe not that drastic, but u get my point