More like NBMEs or Uworld?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Isoval

Moving up the totem pole again.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey friendos,

I was curious what the general opinion was:
Is the USMLE more like the NBME practice exams or is it more like Uworld’s practice questions?

I’ve taken NBME 15 and 17 so far, and I’ve noticed a jarring difference between the way the questions are asked on Uworld versus the way they’re asked on the NBME exams. In general, I feel the NBME questions are often 1) much worse questions both in the answer choices and the way questions are presented and 2) often provide little context - you either know it or you don’t in more than half of the questions.

Here’s to hoping it’s a lot more like Uworld.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know you don't want this answer..... but the answer is "both". The actual USMLE exams (Step + shelf) are a mixture of both styles. Some questions will be UWorld-like (well structured, able to fall back on principles of the basic sciences, etc.), while others will be more practice NBME-like (odd, short, or random)

Reactions: 2 users
I know you don't want this answer..... but the answer is "both". The actual USMLE exams (Step + shelf) are a mixture of both styles. Some questions will be UWorld-like (well structured, able to fall back on principles of the basic sciences, etc.), while others will be more practice NBME-like (odd, short, or random)

oof

Members don't see this ad :)
Mostly like uworld. A few random nbme-ish questions, but mostly like a uwsa.

Reactions: 1 users
Step 1 is different from NBME or UWorld. Question stems were more like UW in terms of style and amount presented. However, because UWorld is a learning resource, you'll find that each answer choice has a rationale for it - it's some pitfall that a med student might fall into if a particular detail was missed or misinterpreted. That's why UW has detailed explanations for each answer choice. The real thing isn't like that. You might get 2 choices that are closely related that you have to choose between but the other 3 choices might be out of the blue with no connection with the question whatsoever. I only bring this up because if you get really good at UWorld, you start to realize why the other choices are there and you can understand the pitfalls and rule out the wrong answer choices that way. You can't do that on the real thing because the answer choices might be completely unrelated.

Reactions: 1 user
Step 1 is different from NBME or UWorld. Question stems were more like UW in terms of style and amount presented. However, because UWorld is a learning resource, you'll find that each answer choice has a rationale for it - it's some pitfall that a med student might fall into if a particular detail was missed or misinterpreted. That's why UW has detailed explanations for each answer choice. The real thing isn't like that. You might get 2 choices that are closely related that you have to choose between but the other 3 choices might be out of the blue with no connection with the question whatsoever. I only bring this up because if you get really good at UWorld, you start to realize why the other choices are there and you can understand the pitfalls and rule out the wrong answer choices that way. You can't do that on the real thing because the answer choices might be completely unrelated.

I took it about two weeks ago and I generally agree with this. To me, it felt exactly like the UWSAs with more bs questions mixed in.